Make Your Picks

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I've always depended on the kindness of strangers
Rope - 7/10

I guess it's like starting with an instant orgasm with a woman, and then slowly working your way to foreplay, building up just to get it over with. Good movie, but very typical Hitchcock.. All of his movies seem the same to me, especially when it's the third time Jimmy Stewart is the leading man (detective).. A great actor can separate himself from his previous roles, but not Jimmy. I do like movies in real-time too, but the constant puns and double-entendre got old quickly, and the acting was very lousy. But I understand some people like to watch movies to be scared; I look at the real world instead.

And the reason? Was David Jewish?

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

Eyes of the devil (1966)
Starring: Deborah kerr,David Niven,David Hemmings and Sharon Tate

After her husband is called back to his vinyard after another dry season,Catherine decideds to take their 2 children with her and follow him against his wishes. When she gets there she is soon disturbed by weird behaviour of the small town-particulary by brother and sister Odile and Christian De Caray-She soon realises that trouble has just begun.

I LOVED this movie-i loved the cast,i loved the setting. i thought maybe the music was too cheerful at times and the actor who played Christian just couldnt compete with the charisma of his onscreen sister and sadly therefor drowned out a bit
Which brings me to Sharon,who by far was the highlight of the movie- i loved how subtle she was,yet completely owned the character and the screen.

Welcome to the human race...
Papillon -
, maybe

Who the hell wants to watch Steve McQueen try to escape from prison for two-and-a-half hours?

Papillon -
, maybe

Who the hell wants to watch Steve McQueen try to escape from prison for two-and-a-half hours?

Madness is the emergency exit…
The Childhood of a Leader (2015)

The official or IMDB plot synopsis goes like this..."This chilling fable about the rise of fascism in the 20th Century tells the story of a young American boy living in France in 1918 whose father is working for the US government on the creation of the Treaty of Versailles. What he witnesses helps to mould his beliefs - and we witness the birth of a terrifying ego. Loosely inspired by the early childhood experiences of many of the great dictators of the 20th Century and infused with the same sense of dread as The Others and The Omen, The Childhood of a Leader is an ominous portrait of emerging evil."

So I was expecting something like a serious or interesting take on the Evil Child sub-genre of horror. But it was actually nothing like that. Moreover, I really felt sad for that talented kid...neither parent got much time for him, his best friend was the head maid and most importantly there wasn't any sign or indications that they revealed in the film which could make or inspire such a normal, spoiled kid to eventually grows up and become an "evil" leader at the end. And another misleading thing was the background score...sometime it was just manipulative and pretentious; make you feel like something terrible or interesting thing(s) going to happen but when there was nothing actually happens most of the time at the end of a scene(s).

Only good things about the movie were the cast & the production values.

Snatch -

I remember when I used to think that this was top 50 material. Those were the days.

Snatch -

I remember when I used to think that this was top 50 material. Those were the days.
It's top 10 material.

Okay, maybe not. A rewatch is probably needed for further commenting. I never liked Guy Richie anyways, but as I recall, Snatch was quite the catch - or at least the best use of his Richism.

It's top 10 material.

Okay, maybe not. A rewatch is probably needed for further commenting. I never liked Guy Richie anyways, but as I recall, Snatch was quite the catch - or at least the best use of his Richism.
I'm planning on giving Lock, Stock a re-watch as well as I always kind of preferred it to Snatch, which has always felt overrated even when I was the one overrating it. Honestly, I think I'm still overrating it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Snatch -

Were they the days when you'd only seen 50 films?

Were they the days when you'd only seen 50 films?
Well-played, but not entirely inaccurate. Couldn't swear to actual numbers, though.

currently editing a post...

we all had dysentery during filming

Nostalgia is always better than the real thing. I still love this movie and yes it holds it's #1 action/macho/blowninup$#!+ mantle, but I would be lying if I said it was perfect.

I am planning on viewing and reviewing my top 5 and planning a full write-up this weekend.

The last movie I saw was (I just realized words "saw" and "was" mirror each other) Now You See Me. My review? A horrible, horrible, horrible film. In a way, it represented everything I hate about the movie industry today. It was overly flashy and with no depth. I know, these heist movies usually don't require that much depth by definition, but still - possibly the worst recent movie experience I've had. And above all, it has over 7 rating on IMDB somehow.

"Aloft" with Jennifer Connelly and Cillian Murphy. It was a good poetic drama. The Canadian landscapes are awsome and the whole "artistic healer" concept was intriguing. I think its ok but only if you like dramas.
7/10

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

The non-stop singing was not always easy for me, but the director pulled it off well. The story was not the happy-sappy usual musical monotonous mess and despite being a little light at the beginning it slowly got more serious and dramatic as it went along, which was a change I really enjoyed. The movie looked good as well; very vibrant production design and cinematography as well as beautiful fluent camera work. Overall a good time.

"The Internal Bleeding Dance." - Violet
The Angriest Man in Brooklyn (2014)

Below average comedy for me. I really enjoyed the scene with James Earl Jones and that's pretty much it.

Sharknado: The 4th Awakens
(2016) -

They really jumped the shark with this one.

I actually enjoyed Sharknado 2, and thought the third one was pretty entertaining, yet this movie was just way too much. It's even less coherent than before, and the special effects are so bad (even for this series) that they occasionally wander into Food Fight territory. I do appreciate that Ian Ziering is still playing his character completely straight, but the whole thing is just an unpleasant mess.

Warning: If you plan to play a drinking game with this movie, and even just take a small sip any time they reference or straight up quote another movie, you will be in the hospital for alcohol poisoning within 20 minutes.