The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm hoping Patton makes the list, but I'm thinking it may not be. But who knows? It may or may not have been on my list, but it may or may not have been low on the list.

I'm hoping Patton makes the list, but I'm thinking it may not be. But who knows? It may or may not have been on my list, but it may or may not have been low on the list.
Subtle.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Patton has no chance unless a lot of old-timers (subtle) I don't know about voted for it.

Kramer v Kramer didn't make my list. I saw it with my mum at an afternoon showing at the cinema in Leicester Square in London when it came out and haven't seen it since. Only remember coming out into the daylight and laughing at each other cos we both had red eyes from crying and had to walk around the shops like that. I remember liking it tho so will have to rewatch it soon.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

George Lucas' American Graffiti was on sixteen ballots, with six top tens: a first place, a second, three eighth, and a tenth place vote. Monty Python's Life of Brian was on fifteen lists, also with six top tens: a first, third, sixth, seventh, ninth, and a tenth.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	graffiti.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	16684  

Life of Brian, which I think is Python's greatest film, is the tenth movie from my own list to show up...

3. Nashville (#43)
8. Little Big Man (#61)
10. The Man Who Would Be King (#81)
13. Breaking Away (#95)
17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94)
19. MASH (#78)
20. Don’t Look Now (#72)
21. Monty Python's Life of Brian (#41)
22. Le Cercle Rouge (#60)
24. The Spirit of the Beehive (#62)

Not a Monty Python fan. Never seen American Graffiti.

don't mean to be a pain, but could anyone link me to the 80s and 90s lists again? cheers.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Life of Brian didn't quite make my list but I've got a lot of time for it. It was banned in Ireland from its release until the late 80s.

I used to hold screenings of it in my 6th Form common room.

American Graffiti is enjoyable enough, but I think you probably need to share some of Lucas's nostalgia in order to truly fall in love with it.

Never seen any of the Monty Python movies. Not sure it's my kind of humor.

Great pair. I posted recently that I watched American Grafitti just before I sent my list in and massively enjoyed it, so much that in fact that I included it at 20th place. I love movies that just make you happy, leaving you with a massive smile on your face after watching, and it certainly does that. Filled with style, and one of the greatest, most fun soundtrack ever, its a blast from start to finish and makes you wish you were there at the time, cruising around the strip with your friends.

I am delighted to see a Monty Python film so high up, and this should been that Holy Grail will be showing soon too. I love there three feature films about equal, but of the two available I decided to go with Life of Brian for my list. It was my final pick in 25th place, but it could have been much higher really. I only discovered Monty Python properly this year (disgusting for a Brit) and started this by watching Holy Grail and Life of Brian, which I both found hilarious.

One of my favourite parts:

[a line of prisoners files past a jailer]

Coordinator: Crucifixion?

Prisoner: Yes.

Coordinator: Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

[Next prisoner]

Coordinator: Crucifixion?

Mr. Cheeky: Er, no, freedom actually.

Coordinator: What?

Mr. Cheeky: Yeah, they said I hadn't done anything and I could go and live on an island somewhere.

Coordinator: Oh I say, that's very nice. Well, off you go then.

Mr. Cheeky: No, I'm just pulling your leg, it's crucifixion really.

don't mean to be a pain, but could anyone link me to the 80s and 90s lists again? cheers.
Eighties and Nineties.

I saw about half of Life of Brian a while ago but never got back to it. Not sure why, I was enjoying it quite a bit.

American Graffiti is the 7th film from my list to show, at #16. I love the energy of that film, the editing and the soundtrack are so vibrant and, like Daniel said, put a huge smile on my face. Before he created probably the biggest movie franchise in history Lucas made what I consider to be one of the best coming-of-age flicks ever.

2. Picnic at Hanging Rock
4. Hausu
13. Being There
15. Nashville
16. American Graffiti
19. Walkabout
22. A Woman Under the Influence

I don't love American Graffiti as much as I used to, but it still leaves me with a good feeling every time I watch it.

All of the Monty Python movies are funny, but just ok for me.

"I'm Brian, and so is my wife."

American Graffiti is quite good, but it's been ages since I've watched it. However.... Life of Brian is not only Monty Python's best movie, it's one of my very favorite movies ever. I actually discovered it pretty late, long after being a reasonable fan of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Meaning of Life, and I didn't even like it the first time, I think because stuff was going on and I wasn't paying attention. So a couple days later I watched it again, and well....it's now been years and I watch it every December without fail and often once or twice more during the course of the year. I've never seen it at the cinema, but I did go to a showing of it at a local library, where some older guy was both shocked and amused by the full frontal nudity and let us all know about it. I love Life of Brian...so much so, I had it at #3 on my list. (And dang, I've got three comedies from 1979 in the top ten on my list...a pretty good year for comedies as far as I'm concerned.)

My list:

3. Life of Brian (#41)
5. Manhattan (#52)
6. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
7. The Jerk (#54)
8. The Omen (#99)
24. Being There (#98)
25. Little Big Man (#61)

Oh, and I forgot to mention yesterday that we are a month in to the countdown, now. Wednesday was exactly four weeks from when we started. We still have another twenty-six days before the top two films will be revealed on Monday September 8th. I'm a gonna be there.

And also...