The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Hmm? I don't get it, ( I think Cricket said something similar).
It means what you voted for didn't make the countdown. I would also mostly avoid watching countdown films that received 1 measly point, as opposed to a movie that someone might have ranked high up that nobody else voted for.

I just don't see why some people deliberately vote for films for the sole reason of hoping them to be one pointers. And by the same token, of course, I also don't understand why one would vote for films solely because they think they'll make the countdown. With both strategies, you're not providing a true, objective ranking of your taste. I just vote for the films which matter to me the most and rank them accordingly. If a popular, universally-praised film happens to be my #1, then I'll put it at #1. If an obscure film happens to be my #25, then I'll put it at #25. But I don't go out of my way to structure my ballot like this. Of course, if someone else wants to do it, eh, who am I to stop you. I just don't understand the rationale behind doing this.

I just don't see why some people deliberately vote for films for the sole reason of hoping them to be one pointers. And by the same token, of course, I also don't understand why one would vote for films solely because they think they'll make the countdown. With both strategies, you're not providing a true, objective ranking of your taste. I just vote for the films which matter to me the most and rank them accordingly. If a popular, universally-praised film happens to be my #1, then I'll put it at #1. If an obscure film happens to be my #25, then I'll put it at #25. But I don't go out of my way to structure my ballot like this. Of course, if someone else wants to do it, eh, who am I to stop you. I just don't understand the rationale behind doing this.
OK thanks for explaining.

Just to clarify my #25 (which was a 1 pointer though I didn't plan it that way) was The Siege of Firebase Gloria. I think highly of the film. I can even prove it My review from seven years ago.

The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989)
Director: Brian Trenchard-Smith
Stars: Wings Hauser, R. Lee Ermey, Robert Arevalo
Genre: War Action

About
: A tough as hell Marine sergeant and his military buddy find themselves at a demoralized military firebase outpost in the jungles of Vietnam, where the commanding officer has gone nuts and the V.C. are about to attack the under defended base.

Review
: This movie rocks! I don't know why it's not better known. It's not a big Hollywood film but it still looks good and it's one of the most rewarding, action packed 90 minutes you'll ever see from a Vietnam war movie. Not only is this action packed, it's character driven with very colorful characters.

R. Lee Ermey
plays the gung hu Marine sergeant. A role Ermey was born to play. Ermey was a real life Marine who served in Vietnam. I can't think of a more dynamic and engaging character, than his portrayal of Sgt. Hafner. Pairing up with him, is his friend and fellow Marine
Wings Hauser. Wings too brings his character alive with a no nonsense type performance. And everyone in this film is like that, no nonsense, no fluff. I actually believed I was watching real soldiers in Vietnam!

Siege of Firebase Gloria is the type of film you can watch over and over as each scene and each line is dynamic and a mini story in itself. This is much more than just an action film, watch it!

It means what you voted for didn't make the countdown. I would also mostly avoid watching countdown films that received 1 measly point, as opposed to a movie that someone might have ranked high up that nobody else voted for.
I looked at all the 1 pointers when they were posted and I plan on watching 6 of them, starting tonight. Most of the one pointers looked interesting to me...Well maybe not the Pauly Shore one, but then again I haven't seen it so maybe it's wickedly funny

I looked at all the 1 pointers when they were posted and I plan on watching 6 of them, starting tonight. Most of the one pointers looked interesting to me...Well maybe not the Pauly Shore one, but then again I haven't seen it so maybe it's wickedly funny
There can be great movies that get zero points. It's just that on a countdown like this, whatever gets the least points would get my least attention.

Just to clarify my #25 (which was a 1 pointer though I didn't plan it that way) was The Siege of Firebase Gloria. I think highly of the film. I can even prove it My review from seven years ago.
I don't believe you!

Welcome to the human race...
So these are the one-pointers I have seen.

13 Hours isn't exactly great, but it's leagues ahead of Michael Bay's other war movie.

Journey's End isn't a stand-out, one that is based on a play and it shows.

K-19: The Widowmaker goes alright. I do like a good submarine movie.

[o]Overlord[/i] has such a great X-meets-Y concept (war/horror genre hybrids in general are a rarity) that I'm disappointed I don't like it more.

The Dawns Here Are Quiet is a film I apparently liked quite a bit but don't remember all that well, though there's something to be said for a Soviet epic dedicated to following the exploits of an all-female unit of soldiers.

The Man Who Would Be King is great, though I definitely didn't think of it as a war film - an adventure film with colonialist overtones, perhaps, but this one really stretches the definition of war film in my estimation.

The Wind That Shakes the Barley is good, though I don't remember too much of it. Perhaps it's time for a rewatch.

Windtalkers is a film I didn't exactly care for (especially when John Woo has made better war movies before and since), though part of me does want to give it a second chance.

I just don't see why some people deliberately vote for films for the sole reason of hoping them to be one pointers.
Every one of the One-Pointers I've had for the various lists have been movies that genuinely made my top 25 of whatever the topic is. I always cull my lists down to the 25 I like best and then choose one that want to highlight to put at 25.

I chose In the Army Now specifically because I don't like war movies. I don't like how heavy war movies are and they're generally heavy in a way that I can't really connect with. In the Army Now, on the other hand, is fun and light hearted. It's not a favorite movie, by any stretch (though Pauly Shore's Encino Man is in my personal top 100), and very few of the movies I voted for are overall favorites (because, again, I don't like war movies) but I'm far more likely to watch In the Army Now again than something like Apocalypse Now, which didn't make my cut at all.

Actually, I think I might just watch it again tonight. Had a crap day at work so winding down with something stupidly entertaining sounds appealing.

Overlord has such a great X-meets-Y concept (war/horror genre hybrids in general are a rarity) that I'm disappointed I don't like it more.
Egads. When I first scanned the list I assumed it was not a vote for the 2018 zombie flick but for the 1975 micro-budgeted but incredibly effective British WWII piece shot in glorious black-and-white culminating with the D-Day Invasion, made by Stuart Cooper. But maybe this means THAT Overlord will make the actual countdown?

Originally Posted by Iroquois
The Man Who Would Be King is great, though I definitely didn't think of it as a war film - an adventure film with colonialist overtones, perhaps, but this one really stretches the definition of war film in my estimation.
Agree completely. One of my all-time favorite flicks but I never even considered it for such an exercise. I DETEST that John Huston's The Man Who Would Be King qualified but I had to re-do my ballot because somehow Neil Simon's Biloxi Blues wasn't a War Movie...when it so very clearly is.

Dumb, dumb system.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I forgot the opening line.
Given a do-over, I'd make my 1-pointer A Perfect Day (2015). Raul's choice of The Lucky Ones with Tim Robbins in it reminded me about it. It's about humanitarian aid workers in war torn Yugoslavia trying to fish a dead body out of a well - a task that becomes more and more complicated every step of the way.

But perhaps someone else has voted for this as well.

The Lucky Ones isn't a movie for everyone but it just suits my tastes perfectly. It's an excellent performance from Rachel McAdams and has a lot of laughs while still keeping its serious side at bay. Plus road trip movies usually do well for me too. Plus Tim Robbins and Michael Pena are really good too.

It was #25 for me.

Good choice! I really liked this movie. All the acting was top drawer but I loved McAdams the most.

I'll second that, I forgot that I had seen The Lucky Ones but it was a film nom in the 10th HoF. The entire cast was great and Rachael McAdams is a charmer in it. A worthy film.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Hope @KeyserCorleone is still alive. Nothing from him two days already...
Hiding somewhere in the trenches maybe...

Citizen's War Report #1
I'm going to try and watch as many of the countdown war movies as possible. I started last night with @Yoda 1 Pointer.
Last nights viewing of Ike: Countdown to D-Day (2005) was my second watch of this interesting behind the scenes look at the planning of operation Overlord...the D-Day invasion of occupied France.

I felt that I learned some things about what went into the actual planning of D-Day. I personally liked that we don't see any military action, this is not an action flick. It's a neat little character study done in under 90 minutes and constructed almost like a play in that the film does not go all over the place physically, nor does it jump around in time and it doesn't follow multiple character's story lines. Instead the film focuses squarely on General Eisenhower who's been placed in charge as the Supreme Commander of the Allied forces.

Ike is played by Tom Selleck. Both times watching this I thought, 'Tom Selleck as Ike?' But he pulls it off and I think it's his reserved demeanor and thoughtful consideration that helps Tom become Ike. The nearly shaved head helped wonders too. Kudos to the actor who played Monty so spot on.
++

I completed the basic tech work a day or two ago, so it wasn't possible until then. I can go into detail about what this work entails and why it sometimes takes some time, if people are interested.

The delays look longer than usual in part because we usually post the thread when the prep work is nearly done, but in this case it went up very shortly after voting ended instead. Time-from-end-of-voting, on the other hand, isn't usually much longer than this has been, I don't think.

Anyway, need to go over one final thing with Keyser, after that we're free and clear.