Vote on the next countdown (Oct. 2023)

Tools    

What should our next countdown be (Oct 23)?
30.36%
17 votes
Films not on previous lists
23.21%
13 votes
Underseen films
30.36%
17 votes
Musicals
46.43%
26 votes
Noir
28.57%
16 votes
Some decade refresh
10.71%
6 votes
Other (specify below)
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

'90s, then Musicals
Quoted for truth.

The next one should be a decade and it's next on the rank to be redone. Like Noir, Musicals has been called for a long time and so I'll vote for it even though I have little desire for it.

Okay, tallying up the "votes," there are three clear top choices:

Musicals
90s Refresh
Romance

We almost always have at least four options in the poll though, and next is Sports, a few votes behind the others. After that everything is at least multiple votes behind, so that seems like a good cutoff.

The question, then, is if I include Sports also, and whether I keep the multiple votes thing. I continue to think that's better for the reasons previously enumerated, even while acknowledging some small downsides. I just think they're dwarfed by the downsides of having single votes.

I'm willing to hear final objections or suggestions the rest of the day and then I can make a judgment call on both of the above and post a poll tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

For anyone who wants musicals, multiple choice is your best option as long as you ONLY vote for musicals.
That's how I'm voting, only for Musicals.

I would support and enjoy Musicals, 90s Refresh, Romance & Sports....BUT if I vote for all four of them, I haven't voted at all.

One vote, one person. Or like Cricket said if you want Musicals don't vote for any other choices.

Okay, tallying up the "votes," there are three clear top choices:

Musicals
90s Refresh
Romance

We almost always have at least four options in the poll though, and next is Sports, a few votes behind the others. After that everything is at least multiple votes behind, so that seems like a good cutoff.

The question, then, is if I include Sports also, and whether I keep the multiple votes thing. I continue to think that's better for the reasons previously enumerated, even while acknowledging some small downsides. I just think they're dwarfed by the downsides of having single votes.

I'm willing to hear final objections or suggestions the rest of the day and then I can make a judgment call on both of the above and post a poll tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.
Add 70's, since that got a lot of votes too. also that gives someone to vote for the other decade if they don't want to vote for sports, musicals and romance. Might as well add 80's also so you have 3 decades and 3 genres on the poll, that would be cool.

Add 70's, since that got a lot of votes too. also that gives someone to vote for the other decade if they don't want to vote for sports, musicals and romance. Might as well add 80's also so you have 3 decades and 3 genres on the poll, that would be cool.
70s only got a few, and several of those were "70s/80s/90s." If I included that I'd have to include 7-8 additional topics that also got 2-3 votes.

That said, when we do these polls it's usually genres OR "a decade list," so the poll option would probably just say something like that and the decade would be quickly chosen (but almost certainly 90s given how many people explicitly mentioned that one) shortly after if it should win.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Can votes be adjusted to be up to two out of four options? That would be the best way for the poll, I think.

I would support and enjoy Musicals, 90s Refresh, Romance & Sports....BUT if I vote for all four of them, I haven't voted at all.
Correct, but thankfully nobody does that! And obviously they shouldn't, since it wouldn't change anything.

One vote, one person.
With one person and one vote and several options to choose from, it's not just plausible but likely that the winner will only achieve a modest plurality of the vote. So you'll have a situation where the winner got the most votes (which sounds good) but ALSO most people didn't vote for it (which is clearly bad)!

There's also a question of participation: it is a constant challenge to get people to submit ballots, so enthusiasm for each choice matters, too. Maybe someone likes Musicals, but would participate in Musicals or Romance, and wouldn't participate in a 90s list. That's something we want to capture. Our goal isn't to be "fair" to the amorphous categories themselves, but to produce a countdown with high levels of participation and interest. Single votes does not account for likelihood of participation or enthusiasm level

In other words, it matters very much what someone's second or third choice would be, because statistically MOST of the people participating will be people who didn't pick that option as their first.

If anyone here is familiar with Ranked Choice voting, they'll probably be familiar with a lot of these arguments already. Definitely worth Googling for anyone who's new to it. That would be a better/more robust version of what I'm talking about, but it's more work and multiple votes captures a chunk of the same thing, with the added virtue, of course, of already being built in to the software.

I realize we'll probably never agree on this, and that's fine, but I wanted to make sure my reasoning was transparent.

Can votes be adjusted to be up to two out of four options? That would be the best way for the poll, I think.
No, but we could simply require it on the honor system. It would be easy enough to see if someone voted for more and to invalidate the votes accordingly.

Anyway, looks like Not on Previous Lists didn't make the cut (though it came within a couple of votes), so I guess I'll just have to lobby harder next time. Or make sure it happens by volunteering to host it myself in advance and hope that's persuasive.

Let's get at least 4 or 5 options in the poll. Add Action and maybe Sports, remove Musicals, and add History/Biography. Here you go I'll make it easy for you:

90s Refresh
Romance
Action
Sports
History/Biography

Post it!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The problem with doing more than four is that there's a three-way tie after that, and then another five just one vote behind those. There's a clear top 3 tier, and then one more in a tier by itself, so that's the best cutoff without the poll being either very short of untenably long.