The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I haven't seen it. I've seen 11 of his films to date.
Whew!

One of my favorite of the bunch, for sure, although I would also rank Vertigo at the top, as you did.

Where did the Dial M cult suddenly materialize from? All at once. Co-ordinated. Ominous.

Like, there's nothing objectionable about it. It's good. But it's actually one of his movies that I will completely forget about when listing my favorites.

*looks over shoulder*

*begins to suspect this cat giving me disapproving looks is also a fan*

If I'm never heard from again, I hope everyone knows why.

Honestly, though I am surprised too, despite being a huge fan. Amongst my friends Dial M is not deemed as the best Hitchcock film.

I think @Yoda explained it well. Despite it been a terrific movie it might still be seen as a play.

If I had included a John Wayne movie on my list it would have probably been Stagecoach.

I've seen Shadow of a Doubt come up a number of times in the past. Looks like I should check it out, eh?
Hitch always listed it as his personal favorite among his own work.

So yes, see it ASAP if not sooner.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

BTW, on the strength of the positively glowing recommendations here, my wife and I watched The Day of the Jackal last night and really enjoyed it. So cool and understated. Thanks for the rec, guys! @edarsenal, @gandalf26, @Deschain, @Takoma11, @WrinkledMind

Re: Hitchcock, I think that Strangers on a Train and even The Birds could be considered longshot possibilities.
That seems crazy to me. I love Strangers, but it wouldn't be in my top 5. Birds wouldn't make my Top 10. I'd think Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, and Rear Window at most - I only picked 2 of even these. 25 is such a small number.

1. XXXXXXX
  2. XXXXXXX
  3. XXXXXXX
  4. XXXXXXX
  5. XXXXXXX
  6. XXXXXXX
  7. XXXXXXX
  8. XXXXXXX
  9. XXXXXXX
  10. XXXXXXX
  11. XXXXXXX
  12. XXXXXXX
  13. XXXXXXX
  14. XXXXXXX
  15. XXXXXXX
  16. XXXXXXX
  17. XXXXXXX
  18. Ikiru
  19. XXXXXXX
  20. XXXXXXX
  21. XXXXXXX
  22. XXXXXXX
  23. XXXXXXX
  24. XXXXXXX
  25. My Favorite Year
Well, we've got our first scoring entry for me. Ikiru is my second favorite Kurosawa film. This dude was Wes Anderson before Wes Anderson was Wes Andersoning it.

That seems crazy to me. I love Strangers, but it wouldn't be in my top 5. Birds wouldn't make my Top 10. I'd think Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, and Rear Window at most - I only picked 2 of even these. 25 is such a small number.
I like both quite a bit, but I don't think neither of them would make my Hitchcock Top 10 either. However, I've seen the praise both get.

I've seen Shadow of a Doubt come up a number of times in the past. Looks like I should check it out, eh?
I'd say it's one of his most complex films, in terms of the characters.

It's terrific. By far the best of the lesser known Hitchcock films. Joseph Cotton is tremendous.