The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

the african queen is okay. definitely one of the most, if not the most, overrated films of the 50s, but i don't really mind it. bogart and hepburn are great.

haven't seen a place in the sun but it looks good.
criticker

My Predictions for

82 Hondo
81 Peter Pan

Its gonna be hard too predict off my list at some point so I am picking one movie not on my list but certain it could be next
The King and I

Care for some gopher?
Haven't seen both. 4 seen, 0 on my list.

82. Ukigumo [Floating Clouds]
81. An American In Paris

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Bogart is my fave actor of all time, and I have him on my list, but this one didn't make it. I still like it a lot, but it doesn't quite hold as much charm for me as it once did.
The African Queen (John Huston, 1951)
-

I have this film memorized from the old days, but I'm happy to report that the DVD restoration is beautiful and has deleted all those nasty green lines and silhouettes which used to curse this film (yep, meaty, it looks 100% better than the version you watched earlier). The chemistry between Bogie and Kate Hepburn is wonderful, and their gradual romance and love for each other in the face of death is believable and humorous. Even with all these significant persons involved, The African Queen is an excellent example of an independent film. It was made completely-independently from the studio system, but what would you expect since Huston's previous studio flick (The Red Badge of Courage) was butchered. This "independence" may explain part of the reason why the movie seems so personal and why the film's finale seems to almost have been made up on the spur of the moment. Bogart won his only Oscar, quite an accomplishment in the face of Brando's Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire, but the key to the film's popularity is how Hepburn can play her completely-opposite character (Huston told her to play her as Eleanor Roosevelt and the rest, as they say, is History) so wonderfully and yet still project such perfect love and understanding. Sure, there are some "fakish" scenes here and there, but they're far-outnumbered by realistic scenes where when Bogie throws the anchor in the river, you can see and hear all the REAL AFRICAN birds react and fly away. No BS CGI in this flick, just a few quaint models here and there. Check this one out if you've failed to do so thus far.
A Place in the Sun is another good film which has some of director Stevens' most naturalistic cinematography and poetic transitions which completely turn the Monty Clift character (George Eastman) into a tragic figure, but it also has D.A. Raymond Burr at his histrionic worst too.

So glad A Place In The Sun made it, i was starting to think it missed out. I had it at #9, wish i could have had it higher because it is really amazing, my #4 to #12 or something were really grouped together and it was difficult to decide what went where. Curious who had it at #4.

Love Khep and Bogie, haven't seen The African Queen yet though.

Seen - 6/18

My List:
09.A Place In The Sun

...Love Khep and Bogie, haven't seen The African Queen yet though.
I love the African Queen, it's one of the few movies that I could watch over and over (and I normally don't do that).

A lot of people don't seem to like it, even though it's considered one of the greats. I think that might be because they go into the film expecting more than what the film actually is. It's not a sweeping epic like Lawrence of Arabia, and it's not a deep movie like Kane, and it's not deeply emotional moving and it's not even really about high adventure...

It's beauty lies in the simplicity of the two characters as they grow as people and learn to respect each other. The fact that they are on this African adventure is almost incidental. It's almost like an intimate stage play where we get to know these two diametrically opposed characters and discover their inner charm, as they discover each other.

Anyway I hope you will enjoy it when you watch it.

Back in my teens when I was going through a Bogie phase, I might have called The African Queen one of the favorites, but now I just think it's a really enjoyable and fun movie. The chemistry between Bogart and Hepburn is great, but then Hepburn seems to have great chemistry with all her male co-stars. But it wasn't on my list.

And I seriously considered A Place in the Sun, but it ended up among a handful of movies I had to cut off at the last second, in this case because it'd been a few years since I'd seen it and I didn't get around to rewatching it in time. I have it ready to watch right now, actually.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Really solid list thus far. My favorite up to this point is Some Came Running (a film that ranked highly on my list). Tokyo Twilight is excellent as well.

Had Creature of the Black Lagoon at #12, it was filmed near my beach house. Also, seen To Catch a Thief. It almost made my list, bc of its flashy nostro visuals

But I ended up leaving it off. I gave

Creature From The Black Lagoon

14 points.

My List

12. Creature From The Black Lagoon
18. House of Wax

Has Their Been a Western Go Off yet cause I know there were quite a few well recieved Westerns in the 50s.
If you're having trouble keeping up with what has and has not yet appeared on the countdown, please refer to the second post of this thread.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I don't get the praise for The African Queen. Is it bad of me to say I was rooting against it making the list?

Of the first 18, I've seen 9. I need to see some more of them soon.

Cranes are Flying was a really good one I thought. My list was packed with favorites so it still probably would not have cracked my 25, but it would have came close.

The Blob was just great fun for me.

Of the 8 I haven't seen I'm thinking of watching House of Wax and A Place in the Sun next.

Tokyo Twilight was excellent for me
+

That brings me to 100% seen, and I think there's a decent chance that I will have seen the rest. If anything shows that I haven't seen, I'm wondering if it could be Limelight, or some random musical.