The MoFo Top 100 of the Seventies

→ in
Tools    

And just in case anybody is nearby, Bob Fosse's Oscar winning Cabaret is playing at the AFI both tonight and tomorrow night. I can't go tonight, I am otherwise encumbered, but maybe I should have dinner between the two flicks, tomorrow?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joel.jpg
Views:	1368
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	15316  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Aside from the two Australian films always listed (Walkabout, Picnic at Hanging Rock), here's four more, which coincidentally, TCM is showing now and for the next eight hours, so I'm watching. The only one which isn't a rewatch is the second.

watched the heartbreak kid the other day and loved it. definitely going on my list.

these are my must-watches before the list that i haven't seen yet. probably won't get to all of them:

The Conversation
The Last Detail
The Deer Hunter
House
Killer of Sheep
Zabriske Point
The Passenger
The Shootist
Days of Heaven
Barry Lyndon
A Clockwork Orange
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Alien
Apocalypse Now
Eraserhead
Being There
Tristana
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Le Cercle Rouge
Little Big Man
Two Lane Blacktop
Suspira
F for Fake
Fox and his Friends
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Network
Paper Moon
The Tenant
Tess
High Plains Drifter
Dirty Harry
Sorcerer
The French Connection
The Holy Mountain
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Walkabout
Frenzy
Family Plot
Don't Look Now
Performance

my real 70s wishlist has 149 titles, but these are the ones that have a chance at making the list.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I narrowed it down for you

(Although to be fair I haven't seen all the films on your list and some are on my to-watch list as well)

these are my must-watches before the list that i haven't seen yet. probably won't get to all of them:

The Conversation
The Deer Hunter
Days of Heaven
Alien
Being There
Le Cercle Rouge
Fox and his Friends
Network
Performance

Damn, Frightened Inmate, you need to get busy!

I'm happy to say that I've seen the majority of the movies you posted, and I'd recommend every single one of them (even House, which is my least favorite from that bunch, is still worth watching). In fact, about half of the films that will appear on my own top 25 are included in that list you just posted.

Life has recently gotten in the way of my movie watching.

I'll definitely be turning in a list anyway, but I don't think it's going to look quite like I had wanted it to in terms of how much I enjoyed the movies on it.

For once, I think most people will agree when I say, if you must watch it, leave this one till last.

As we near the deadline, I'll chuck out a couple more films which I'm not seeing appear on many "to see" lists, but are well worth your time. Macbeth and Breaker Morant.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Life has recently gotten in the way of my movie watching.

I'll definitely be turning in a list anyway, but I don't think it's going to look quite like I had wanted it to in terms of how much I enjoyed the movies on it.
Can't be worse than the 80s list I turned in. Didn't even like all the films I picked.

Can't be worse than the 80s list I turned in. Didn't even like all the films I picked.
Well I wouldn't say I genuinely like all of the movies that will be on it, but those that I don't really like I do at least have respect for.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well I wouldn't say I genuinely like all of the movies that will be on it, but those that I don't really like I do at least have respect for.
I feel that way for the 70s. For the 80s, not so much.

The only problem is the very good Breaker Morant is 1980.
Dammit. I thought it was 79. Thanks, mark.

Still, after you've all watched your 70's stuff, go find Breaker Morant.

Small update of my process

'70s films that I've recently seen:

Coffy
Foxy Brown
Network
Fantastic Planet
The Candidate
The Last Picture Show
Phantom of the Paradise
The Conversation
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The Hospital
The Conformist
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The French Connection
Le Cercle Rouge
Close Encounters of the Third Kind

There are now TWO films of these that will surely make my list and a couple that have a pretty good chance at making it.

'70s films I have available and that I still want to see before I send in my list:

Barry Lyndon
All the President's Men
A Woman Under the Influence
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Amarcord
California Split
(I only have the DVD cut available, but I'd love to be able to watch the original theatrical cut)
Enter the Dragon
Get Carter
High Anxiety
Murder on the Orient Express
Opening Night
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Sleuth
Solaris
The Deer Hunter
The Phantom of Liberty
Turkish Delight
Big Wednesday
Night Moves
La Nuit Américaine
(This Truffaut film caught my eye the other day)

I'm in the middle of an examination period, so I'm moving along quite slowly (I'm also watching films from other time periods), but there's still enough time left to watch all of these. I'm probably watching another '70s film (or two) tonight! I'm having a lot of fun exploring this decade!

The Conversation
The Last Detail

The Deer Hunter
House
Killer of Sheep
Zabriske Point
The Passenger
The Shootist
Days of Heaven
Barry Lyndon
A Clockwork Orange
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Alien
Apocalypse Now
Eraserhead
Being There
Tristana
Le Cercle Rouge
Little Big Man
Two Lane Blacktop
Suspira
F for Fake
Fox and his Friends
Network
Paper Moon

The Tenant
Tess
High Plains Drifter
Dirty Harry
Sorcerer
The French Connection
The Holy Mountain
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Walkabout
Frenzy
Family Plot
Don't Look Now
Performance
I've seen the ones in bold. WATCH THEM ALL!!!

Just preparing the first draft of my seventies list. I've not seen everything I want to see yet, but there's a fair amount of the films that may feature that I've watched recently.

Picked up Hulu Plus for the month. I am watching A Women Under The Influence right now. Hulu watchers recommend me some good 70's options to watch over the next few weeks.

I did make it to the AFI screening of Il Conformista (very nice print), and I did stay for Cabaret (decent print), too. Vittorio was terrific, very passionate about his art. He was also promoting his new book, which had slipped under my radar, but is called simply The Art of Cinematography and includes profiles on one hundred and fifty of the greatest film artists, from the beginning of the medium until today. I've ordered it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vittorio stage.jpg
Views:	993
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	15403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vittorio.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	15404  

Picked up Hulu Plus for the month. I am watching A Women Under The Influence right now. Hulu watchers recommend me some good 70's options to watch over the next few weeks.
I'm not on HuluPlus, but they have the Criterion Collection, yeah? Plenty to work through there, alone. Just browsing the first couple pages of other stuff, I see they have Wim Wenders' Alice in the Cities, and that's a damn good one.