Best portrayal of Mad Max/Max Rockatansky
73.33%
11 votes
Mel Gibson
26.67%
4 votes
Tom Hardy
15 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I thought Miller sold Tom Hardy on us masterfully. You couldnt see his face without a beard or a contraption until an hour into the movie. Mels charming and has raw charisma, but Hardy really sold the insanity & action actor role even moreso, imo.

When people make polls that don't show who voted, it's boring.

When people make polls that don't show who voted, it's boring.
I thought I had with my Morgan Freeman poll but must have forgot to check the boxes my second try.

I've always loved the Mad Max movies, but Max himself was never the reason why. I'm all about the crazy costumes, crazy cars, crazy stunts, and general weirdness.

That said I'm voting Hardy because he's hotter.

Hardy was boring. Mel was really the only character out of the two. Hardy could've been a prop or something with the way he took on Max. That said, I'm sure he did exactly what Miller wanted, but I'm not sure I liked it. He was fine.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
There really isn't that much that goes into playing Max, it's not an insult to either of the actors, they are both decent, but Max has and most likely always will be the least interesting character in the Mad Max universe, it's the environment that surrounds him that takes center stage in all of the movies, Max is merely the observer.

But I still voted for Gibson because he's actually mad in real life.

I thought Miller sold Tom Hardy on us masterfully.
This is why I question your judgment.

What does it take to "sell" an actor, then? Grumbly, barely emotional, and gutsy enough to sign up for a role that's 50% bdsm?

There really isn't that much that goes into playing Max, it's not an insult to either of the actors, they are both decent, but Max has and most likely always will be the least interesting character in the Mad Max universe, it's the environment that surrounds him that takes center stage in all of the movies, Max is merely the observer.

But I still voted for Gibson because he's actually mad in real life.
This all the way.

Both are good and Hardy is a fine replacement for Max, but Mel is one of my favorite actors with Max being one of my favorite roles from him. So yeah, he gets my vote.

This is why I question your judgment.

What does it take to "sell" an actor, then? Grumbly, barely emotional, and gutsy enough to sign up for a role that's 50% bdsm?
Grumbly and barely emotional?!

1. You havent seen any Marlon Brando movies, when he was in his prime.

2. You will hate this one but its spot-on bro'. Youve seen too many movies where everyones ridiculously emotional, and have been taste damaged.

3. Tom Hardy was trained at the prestigious Drama Centre in London. That does mean something. You will find ...and I do not say this lightly, but the best actors in movies are English trained stage actors. Period. I bet you thought Gary Oldman was American? Andrew Lincoln from Walking Dead normally sounds as Brit' as you can get. Pierce Brosnan even, they guy sounds llike a straight-up limey in real life.

Tom Hardys the real deal, dont close your eyes to it.

Grumbly and barely emotional?!

1. You havent seen any Marlon Brando movies, when he was in his prime.
( o_o)

2. You will hate this one but its spot-on bro'. Youve seen too many movies where everyones ridiculously emotional, and have been taste damaged.
I love that quote. I'm "taste damaged". That's really special.

3. Tom Hardy was trained at the prestigious Drama Centre in London. That does mean something. You will find ...and I do not say this lightly, but the best actors in movies are English trained stage actors. Period. I bet you thought Gary Oldman was American? Andrew Lincoln from Walking Dead normally sounds as Brit' as you can get. Pierce Brosnan even, they guy sounds llike a straight-up limey in real life.

Tom Hardys the real deal, dont close your eyes to it.
Ignoring your casual assertion of English superiority I offer you a counter-argument:

Tom Hardy (Locke) > Mel Gibson (Mad Max) > Tom Hardy (Mad Max)

What, a good actor can't turn in a forgettable role? I bet Tom Hardy would have made a fine Mad Max, but Fury Road didn't give him anything to work with. That's not a strike against Tom Hardy, that's a strike against the script for maligning it's main character.