2008 MLB Post Season

Tools    

Today is the final day of the 2008 Major League Baseball regular season. Six of the eight post season spots are set, but the final two have yet to be determined.

? ?

Who's already in: in the American League The Los Angeles Angels have the best record in all of Baseball and if they win today at Texas will be the only team to finish with a hundred wins. The Tampa Bay Rays were the surprise of the year in winning the AL East, and they held off a September charge by the defending champion Boston Red Sox, who still won the Wild Card. In the National League The Chicago Cubs, who haven't won the World Series in exactly one hundred years, had the best record in the league on way to their easy win of the NL Central. After acquiring slugger Manny Ramirez at the trade deadline, the Joe Torre-led Los Angeles Dodgers finally found some consistency and moved ahead of the Diamondbacks for good, though they'll only finish four games or so over .500 in that weak division this year. No matter, because they are in. In the NL East, just like last year The New York Mets blew their lead as The Philadelphia Phillies turned it on at the end of the year to take the division.

As for the four teams competing today (and perhaps tomorrow in a one-game playoff if the NL teams wind up with identical records) for those last two spots, The New York Mets and the Milwaukee Brewers are still playing for the Wild Card while The Chicago White Sox and Minnesota Twins are still trying to determine the AL Central. After their historic collapse last year, The Mets find themselves tied with Milwaukee going into the final day of the season. Their big-game off-season acquisition Johan Santana rose to the occasion yesterday pitching a complete game shutout on short rest to keep their post season hopes alive. But he can't pitch today, so it's up to Oliver Perez and every available arm in their not-so-reliable bullpen to win today. The Brewers have been so inconsistent the second half of the year that they fired their manager in the middle of a post season race! But they've still got a chance, and today they send their trade deadline ace to the mound, C.C. Sabathia, so they have to like their chances, even against The Cubs who beat them yesterday after the Mets had already won earlier in the day. The Twins and The White Sox can't seem to win a bunch of games these last couple weeks and put the other away. Going into the last day the Twins hold a half game advantage, but they've lost their last two while the White Sox are more pathetic having lost their last five and eight of their last ten. The Sox are finishing against The Indians, who after a disappointing season are delighting in playing spoiler, while The Twins have dropped two to the lowly Kansas City Royals.

In the American League the first round of the playoffs are set, awaiting the Central winner. The Angels will host The Red Sox with The Rays hosting either the Twins or White Sox. In the National League it's still more up in the air as The Cubs would host the Mets if they get in, but since you can't play a team from your own division in the first round if The Brewers prevail they would play The Dodgers. The Phillies will host either Los Angeles or Milwaukee, depending on the outcome of the Wild Card.

The Los Angeles Angels, who dominated their division and the league for the entire year, have to be the odds-on favorite in the AL, though the upstart Rays look amazing, especially at home, and The Red Sox are still The Red Sox. Whichever of the two Central teams backs into the playoffs will be the underdog, by far. In the NL The Cubs cruised most of the year and Lou Pinella finally has them playing up to their potential so they have to be the favorites going in...but then they are The Cubs. The Phillies once again look great and are hot going into October, but they didn't advance past this first round last year when their offense looked so fierce (until the Colorado pitching tamed them). The Dodgers don'texactly look like a powerhouse, but any Baseball fans knows Manny can take a team on his back for a short series and Torre has a tradition of winning. The Mets still seem shell shocked from last year, but the addition of Santana does boost their chances if they get in, and The Brewers who haven't been in the post season since the 1980s when they were in the American League are a good, hungry young team that is also trying to overcome the sting of their own September collapse last year.

Should be fun!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Since the team I root for isn't in it this year I'll be pulling for a Tampa Bay Rays vs. Chicago Cubs World Series. I love the idea of a team that hasn't won in a hundred years facing a team that has only existed for a decade riding their first winning season into the post season. THAT I'd like to see...especially if the Cubbies found a way to lose in dramatic, soul-crushing fashion.

As for the four teams trying to get in today, I'm rooting for the White Sox only because I despise artificial turf and think The Metrodome is one of the worst parks around (yes, I know The Rays play in a dome too, but they're too good a story this year for that to bother me too much - though it definitely still bothers me). In the NL I'd like to see The Mets complete their dive and those pesky Brewers to make it so young superstars Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun get a taste of October. Plus The Brewers have that Craig Counsell in the clubhouse, and he goes to the post season every year, no matter what team he's on (I think it's in his contract). Plus it's the only time Milwaukee will have Sabathia and Sheets in their rotation as both will likely move on as free agents this off season, so this is their last best chance before rebuilding the pitching staff.

BREWERS ADVANCE TO OCTOBER

Milwaukee, behind C.C. Sabathia's complete game where he surrendered only one unearned run, win 3-1 against the Cubs. Ryan Braun hit a two-run shot in the bottom of the eighth, his 37th HR of the year, to break the one-all tie and secure the win. In New York the Mets, for the second year in a row, blow it in September, losing 4-2 to Florida after the horrible Met bullpen gave up two solo home runs in the top of the eighth. That will be the last game at Shea Stadium.

So the NL first-round best-of-five matchups will be The Los Angeles Dodgers at the Cgicago Cubs and The Milwaukee Brewers at The Philadelphia Phillies.

And while there will be no one-game playoff in the NL, looks like there will be at least one more game tomorrow in the AL. The Chicago White Sox won today, 5-1 over Cleveland. Minnesota is on their way to handily dispatching Kansas City leading 6-0 going into the 9th. BUT...because of a rainout that was never made up between the White Sox and Tigers, they have played one less game than Minnesota. So while The Twins will have a half-game lead after today's play, Chicago gets to make-up that Detroit game to give them 162. If the White Sox lose that game tomorrow, Minnesota wins the AL Central division. But if the White Sox win, that means they will have an identical record with Minnesota and will force a one-game playoff on Tuesday.

Oy.

Thanks for the updates Holds, I love Post season Baseball. I would love to see Jamie Moyer with the Phillies go far and even win a ring. He pitched his heart out here in Seattle and was rewarded by being told he was too old and let go for next to nothing. Another brilliant move in a long line of brilliant Mariner moves that added up to the first 100 million dollar payroll team with 100 losses in a single season.

I'm also a huge Lou Pinella fan so I'll be extremely torn if the Cubbies and Phillies meet. The Cubs look pretty good.

Sadly in the American league one of the two best teams in the last 5 years won't even make it out of the first round in the Angels and Red Sox. So it goes I guess but it still seems a shame to me anyway.

I like the sound of a Rays/Cubs World series that would be pretty damn interesting indeed.

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
Honestly the Cubs are looking pretty damn good. I'm really feeling this team, and I don't think there are many, if any, weaknesses.

Oh the AL side the Rays are a very pleasant surprise. I'm rooting for them to continue their run. Whether or not they'll make it to the World Series though remains to be seen.

The Phillies and the Dodgers are somewhat dangerous, but I think the Brewers stack up the best against the Cubs. The Angels in the AL are looking really good, but we'll have to wait and see if the Twins or the White Sox make it.

As for the Red Sox, I'm not sure they have a good enough team to go very far into the post season. It also depends on how well Josh Beckett pitches, as he's really their ace.

Thanks to a sixth inning grand slam by Alexei Ramirez, The Chicago White Sox beat the Tigers 8-2 and live to fight another day, forcing a one-game playoff with Minnesota to determine who wins the American League Central and continues on to the post season against Tampa Bay. The game is tomorrow night, 7:30PMEST at Chicago with Minnesota's Nick Blackburn and Chicago's John Danks the scheduled starters.

Not only is the final playoff team still in question, but because of the extra game so are a couple of the American League stat leads. At least theoretically, Joe Mauer could lose the batting championship tomorrow. Mauer, The Twins' catcher, currently leads Boston's second baseman Dustin Pedroia by four percentage points (.330 to .326). However the stats from this one-game playoff tomorrow count in the regular season, so if Mauer were to to have a horrible day he could potentially lose the batting title. But if he gets even one hit, he'll keep the crown (his second in three years). He would need to go a ghastly 0 for 7 to get lower than Pedroia's .3261868 (even an 0 for 6 gives Mauer a .3265306). So not likely, but if it is an extra innings game and Joe doesn't collect a hit, walk or sacrifice, it could happen.

Also if Twin teammate Justin Morneau gets at least one RBI tomorrow he'll tie Texas Ranger Josh Hamilton for the league best, and anything over that obviously the title is his and his alone. Morneau getting a RBI or two is certainly more likely than Mauer not getting a hit in seven or eight at bats.

Yikes, a one-game playoff. They freak me out, I must say. I appreciate the high drama they ensure, though at the same time it does seem a shame that, in a game where even the worst teams win a third of their games, an entire season can come down to just one. Baseball's playoff system hasn't been fair in a long time, though.

Don't know if I'll watch the game straight through (this evening figures to be quite busy), but I'll definitely be checking in. I don't have a horse in this race, but I guess I'd pull for the Twins, if only because I admire the way they've put their team together.

WHITE SOX WIN, WILL JOIN IN OCTOBER BASEBALL

In an amazing pitcher's duel, veteran slugger Jim Thome's solo home run was the only scoring of the game, propelling The White Sox into post season play. Twins starter Nick Blackburn threw a very good game, giving up only four hits in six-plus innings of work. Unfortunately for him and Minnesota fans, twenty-three-year-old John Danks pitched the game of his young life for the ChiSox, spreading out one double and one single over eight innings of damn fine pitchin'. The only real scoring opportunity Minnesota had was when the hobbled superstar centerfielder Ken Griffey Jr., a late acquisition to the club, threw out Twin DH Michael Cuddyer at the plate to end the fifth. Fireball reliever Bobby Jenks came into the ninth and retired his three men on only six pitches as the other Chicago team won 1-0 to take the Central Division and advance to the playoffs.

The White Sox, who played pretty lousy ball the past couple weeks watching their lead slip away, won when they had to beating three different teams on three consecutive days (The Indians, The Tigers and The Twins) to get into the post season. Now they'll head to Tampa Bay where just about everybody has found it nearly impossible to beat the Rays inside that dome.

So the Division Series start tomorrow. The schedule for this best-of-five first round (all games on TBS, all times EST)...

AMERICAN LEAGUE

VS.

Game 1 BOSTON @ LOS ANGELES Wednesday Oct. 1st, 10:00PM
Game 2 BOSTON @ LOS ANGELES Friday Oct. 3rd, 9:30PM
Game 3 LOS ANGELES @ BOSTON Sunday Oct. 5th, TBD
Game 4* LOS ANGELES @ BOSTON Monday Oct. 6th, TBD
Game 5* BOSTON @ LOS ANGELES Wednesday Oct. 8th, TBD

VS.

Game 1 CHICAGO @ TAMPA BAY Thursday Oct. 2nd, 2:30PM
Game 2 CHICAGO @ TAMPA BAY Friday Oct. 3rd, 6:00 PM
Game 3 TAMPA BAY @ CHICAGO Sunday Oct. 5th, TBD
Game 4* TAMPA BAY @ CHICAGO Monday Oct. 6th, TBD
Game 5* CHICAGO @ TAMPA BAY Wednesday Oct. 8th, TBD

NATIONAL LEAGUE

VS.

Game 1 MILWAUKEE @ PHILADELPHIA Wednesday Oct. 1st, 3:00PM
Game 2 MILWAUKEE @ PHILADELPHIA Thursday Oct. 2nd, 6:00 PM
Game 3 PHILADELPHIA @ MILWAUKEE Saturday Oct. 4th, 6:30PM
Game 4* PHILADELPHIA @ MILWAUKEE Sunday Oct. 5th, TBD
Game 5* MILWAUKEE @ PHILADELPHIA Tuesday Oct. 7th, TBD

VS.

Game 1 LOS ANGELES @ CHICAGO Wednesday Oct. 1st, 6:30PM
Game 2 LOS ANGELES @ CHICAGO Thursday Oct. 2nd, 9:30PM
Game 3 CHICAGO @ LOS ANGELES Saturday Oct. 4th, 10:00PM
Game 4* CHICAGO @ LOS ANGELES Sunday Oct. 5th, TBD
Game 5* LOS ANGELES @ CHICAGO Tuesday Oct. 7th, TBD

*if necessary

VS.

Game 1 LOS ANGELES @ CHICAGO Wednesday Oct. 1st, 6:30PM
Game 2 LOS ANGELES @ CHICAGO Thursday Oct. 2nd, 9:30PM
Game 3 CHICAGO @ LOS ANGELES Saturday Oct. 4th, 10:00PM
Game 4* CHICAGO @ LOS ANGELES Sunday Oct. 5th, TBD
Game 5* LOS ANGELES @ CHICAGO Tuesday Oct. 7th, TBD

*if necessary
I remember way back in the day, when I watched these two teams. I stopped after a few baseball strikes. That was then, this is now. What the hell, I'll keep up with these two. Between them, I always favored the Cubs. I reckon I'll root for them, again. I'll get home right around 6:00 p.m., too.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I could be wrong, but I believe the Dodgers/Cubs record in head-to-head games is 1012-1012.

Go Dodgers!

A system of cells interlinked
I caught [some of] the one game playoff last night. Not a lot of offense, but, it was a pretty good game, that ended with a spectacular diving catch.

On to the divisional series...

I love that the playoffs start right away. I forget that every year, and get to be pleasantly surprised each time.

Gotta make some picks...here goes:

Cubs over Dodgers in 3
Phillies over Brewers in 5
Rays over White Sox in 4
Red Sox over Angels in 4

In terms of sheer run differentials, we should be looking at a Red Sox-Cubs World Series, but the playoffs really are a crap shoot, particularly in the Divisional Series.

The Angels put together a lot of wins, aye, but their run differentials were pretty mediocre, actually. In fact, their Pythagorean win total was just 89. That 11-win gap makes them far and away the luckiest team in baseball this year.

The only two playoff teams with a lower differential are the Brewers and the Dodgers.

But, hey, it really doesn't take much in the playoffs, so who knows. There are a few curveballs (so to speak) in all this in that some of the things that are helpful in the regular season (like depth in the starting rotation) are not quite as helpful in the playoffs (where a couple top-line starters take on increased value).

My predictions for the Division Series...

Tampa Bay Rays in FOUR
Los Angeles Angels in THREE

Philadelphia Phillies in FIVE
Chicago Cubs in FOUR

The Red Sox are still a great team and any damn thing can happen in Fenway, but they're a little banged up and I think Mike Scioscia will have the Angels, who haven't faced many real challenges for months, ready to go. The White Sox turned it on these last few days and have a balanced team, but the Rays are crazy good, especially at home, and fun to watch. I expect The Rays will score early and often in Tampa.

If C.C. Sabathia could pitch nine innings every day, I may pick The Brewers, but I think that explosive Phillies offense will be looking to avenge their first-round exit last year and may have learned some lessons from that experience. I love Joe Torre and I'd love to see his Dodgers advance, but Sweet Lou Pinella had the Cubs playing so great all year. Manny may well hit three or four home runs at Wrigley those first two games, but they'll probably be solo shots and may be the only runs L.A. scores, so I don't think they'll be enough. Plus on a cosmic level, after a hundred years and a season of 97 wins it's not disappointing enough for The Cubs to lose in the first round. They at least have to take it to a game six or seven with a late-innings lead in the NL Championship before they blow it.

NLDS GAME ONE
Philadelphia 3, Milwaukee 1

Cole Hamels pitched a brilliant game, shutting down the Brewers for eight innings, giving up only two hits and striking out nine along the way. The Phillies did all of their scoring in the third inning, on a two-out 2-RBI double from Chase Utley then a few batters later a bases-loaded walk, but all were unearned thanks to an error by third baseman Bill Hall. Philadelphia Closer Brad Lidge tried to make it interesting in the top of the ninth when he gave up a walk and two hits, leading to Milwaukee's only run of the game, but in between he struck out the side.

There must be at least 2 or 3 Cubs fans out on a ledge somewhere right now. And yes I know that's probably a severe understatement.

Just try and tell them how it's one game. They will probably try and eat your face off and wear your skin for pajamas.