japanese and asian horror

Tools    

fbi
i saw a japanese film called "premonition" and didnt think it was that scary. To make it worse, the story wasnt that great, repetitive and boring.

Not frightening would of been ok if it was compensated by a decent storyline.
I did see this during the day however so i may have felt differently if it was night time.

But i saw "the grudge" a few months ago and didnt find that scary either. That even had a worse script than premonition.
Are japanese and asian horror movies declining in the ability to scare? If so, what can be improved? Was sandra bullocks one based on this?

fbi
Maybe.

Beware The Probe!

I saw that Korean monster movie, The Host a few weeks ago and liked it although some friends of mine didn't.

The monster was definately cool but the characters and acting was a little over the top (reminded me of characters in Japanese cartoons).

I can't consider 'The Host' a horror film (more like fantasy/sci-fi), but I do agree with you about it being good. One of the best films I've seen this year.

I found Ju-On horrifying, and I thought Ringu was a masterfully crafted film too. I disliked both of the American remakes.

See the trailer here:

I found Ju-On horrifying, and I thought Ringu was a masterfully crafted film too. I disliked both of the American remakes.
Agreed.

I did not find japanese and asian horror bad or disgusting but sometimes japanese horror movie was so weird that it's story became confusing....And most of them has a bad ending....And it is so unexplainable....

A system of cells interlinked
Japanese AND Asian?

Japanese people are Asian... In case anyone was confused...

Check out

The Eye (Chun/Pang, 2002)

Sigh...seems like they are remaking this one, too... typical.

Alas, Parker Posey will be in it, so I will have to see it.

Gozu (Japan)

A Tale of Two Sisters (Korea)

fbi
Japanese AND Asian?

Japanese people are Asian... In case anyone was confused...
I said asian and japanese cos japanese horror is more popular but i wanted peoples opinion on other asian horror too.

Check out

The Eye (Chun/Pang, 2002)

Sigh...seems like they are remaking this one, too... typical.

Alas, Parker Posey will be in it, so I will have to see it.
Jessica alba is the star right?

fbi
The eye. Still gives me the chill when i see pictures or clips of it. That scared the crap out of me and dont really watch it now.

The grudge was rubbish

I enjoyed The Eye. Another Asian horror film that I would recommend is R-Point, a Korean film that is set during Vietnam. It's not "make you jump" scary, but full of suspense.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	R-Point.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	5844  

Female assassin extraordinaire.
ahhhh, some of my all time favorites. i feel like there's another thread on this from last year or something cuz i can tell you i love me some asian film.

the thing with asian horror, when done right, is it's very real, brutal, intense, creepy, suspenseful, and full of the ludicrousness of real life that makes real things horrific.

best way to describe it is, a US horror flick is glitz, glam, pretty clone actors/actresses, loud scores, jumps and gore and basically the glamming up of texas chainsaw massacre. but THAT movie was truly scary because of it's rawness, the realism, the ludicrousness of the situation painted so you felt it, and it seemed real.

i feel korean and japanese horror best capture this in world cinema above all others. they still have it. they are willing to push things into dark sick places not for sensationalism but out of a true desire and attraction for exploring the demented. a true pleasure, a true sick thrill - the CREATORS get, not just for sensationalism.

it's the same sick thrill a crew crafting tentacle hentai gets - the same sick thrill that makes that a HUGE industry, there, and abroad.

these artists' minds THRIVE on finding new nooks and crannies that are taboo or foreign to explore. and there's a beauty to the art, an absolute beauty to the horror and the world they paint that is just so rare in western cinema. i don't even like horror but if you do it really well i still appreciate it.

so anyway .... sometimes for me it's a mix of realism with horrific elements, and sometimes it's outright horror, but usually it's a blend. no like, maniac running through the halls with a chainsaw.

ringu is actually so-so, it's great suspensewise.

i like:

face
audition
oldboy
sympathy for mr. vengeance

good directors to explore:

Takashi Miike
Chan-Wook Park

Sympathy for Lady Vengence is my movie i love that film go watch that.

And I did like The Phone, and The Eye they both held my attention.

Battle Royale is GREAT!! Its not Horror but its sorta, its real good I recommend that and SFLV!!

The Host is incredible, and I disagree that the acting is over the top. I also love Tetsuo. When i saw it for the first time in the early 90s it blew my mind (not literally

fbi
ahhhh, some of my all time favorites. i feel like there's another thread on this from last year or something cuz i can tell you i love me some asian film.

the thing with asian horror, when done right, is it's very real, brutal, intense, creepy, suspenseful, and full of the ludicrousness of real life that makes real things horrific.

best way to describe it is, a US horror flick is glitz, glam, pretty clone actors/actresses, loud scores, jumps and gore and basically the glamming up of texas chainsaw massacre. but THAT movie was truly scary because of it's rawness, the realism, the ludicrousness of the situation painted so you felt it, and it seemed real.

i feel korean and japanese horror best capture this in world cinema above all others. they still have it. they are willing to push things into dark sick places not for sensationalism but out of a true desire and attraction for exploring the demented. a true pleasure, a true sick thrill - the CREATORS get, not just for sensationalism.

it's the same sick thrill a crew crafting tentacle hentai gets - the same sick thrill that makes that a HUGE industry, there, and abroad.

these artists' minds THRIVE on finding new nooks and crannies that are taboo or foreign to explore. and there's a beauty to the art, an absolute beauty to the horror and the world they paint that is just so rare in western cinema. i don't even like horror but if you do it really well i still appreciate it.

so anyway .... sometimes for me it's a mix of realism with horrific elements, and sometimes it's outright horror, but usually it's a blend. no like, maniac running through the halls with a chainsaw.

ringu is actually so-so, it's great suspensewise.

i like:

face
audition
oldboy
sympathy for mr. vengeance

good directors to explore:

Takashi Miike
Chan-Wook Park

agree.

The hollywood methods of horror films are loud defeaning soundtracks. Boogeyman is a classic example of loud noises whcih made me jump and not cos it was scary. some are good though.

Asian cineam does make better horror although a few i seen recently may indicate a declining skill in this area.

One japanese film maker gave good advice saying never use cgi when making horror cos this immdeiately removes any sense of realism. I couldnt agree more.
When one is watching a horror, they should forget it is a movie until it is over.

When i watched the japanese version of "premonition" , the opening credits used fancy cgi which i didnt like. Should have kept it simple.

rented The Host for tonight

My life isn't written very well.
This dusty little thread must be BUMPED because I recently got Netflix (again). Now Netflix has a "view instantly" option that streams movies right to your laptop (cool). Good for me because the "Horror" genre section is filled with horror movies that tide me over until my queued DVDs arrive. So I watched THREE...EXTREMES: an asian horror trilogy that blew my socks off!

If there is anyone out there that takes horror seriously, please rent this or stream it from Netflix. The first story "Dumpling" is one of the most original and truly horrifying films I've seen in a long time. Originally it was released in Japan as a full length feature. But in this anthology they have trimmed it down to 45 mins, which does it no harm. WARNING: the movie really, really isn't for the faint of heart (And I don't mean "so much blood and guts it looks fake"), as it deals with timely, controversial social issues. english subtitles.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?