Star Wars vs Star Trek

Tools    

Star Wars now has 6 films to make it to the big screen, and Star Trek I believe has 10. I know the only things these two titles have in common is the sci-fi genre. So its like comparing apples to oranges, with Star Trek being more of a true science fiction based serious on tv and the big screen, and Star Wars being more of a combination of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Being that I'm a fan of both, I would like to know if anyone else who is a fan of both universes could compare (movies only), and determine which is better.

Personally I believe that the Star Trek universe is far bigger, and has a greater potiential for movie storylines. Star Wars however has that fantasy element to it, which made it irresistible to me. I can only recall the last 5 Star Trek movies and I would rate those movies on a scale of 1-10 a 7.6 average. As for the 6 Star Wars movies, I give an average rating of 7.4. But I must admit, the Phantom Menace dropped the Star Wars average considerably.

Any other opinions out there about these two universes?? Perferably from fans of both.

Star Trek has always only intrigued me slightly. I haven't seen all the movies so I can't completely comment. I have enjoyed what I have seen, but wasnt blown away. I agree TPM hurts the Star Wars films, but I love them. Been a part of my life since I was younger, so I cant go against them. A fan of both, but I love fantasy and I think that aspect of Star Wars is what appeals to me slightly more.

Taking care of planet Earth
Never been interested in Star Trek at all, watched it a few times and decided it wasn't for me. What's missing? Han Solo. Star Trek is lacking a space cowboy character like Solo. Even if it had one I doubt it would come close to good ol' Han.

Star Trek is like social workers in space. Star Wars? They shoot first and ask questions later. It's a western with spaceships and I love it, despite The Phantom Menace. Actually, I quite like TPM as it happens

District B13
Star Wars is much more fantasy/adventure.

Star Trek tries to be scientifically accurate.

Nod goes to Star Wars.

I agree with TheLebowski, that the none of the Star Trek films have blown me away. Though there were moments in some of the TV serious that I was blown away by, (ex: Captain Picard being assimilated by the Borg). Even though I give a slight overall nod to the collective Star Trek films over the collective Star Wars films, I have to admit I am far more intrigued by the Star Wars Universe.

The only problem I have with Star Wars is, the prequels could have been handled a lot better. I mean, in the time of The Old Republic, when the Jedi were at their height, we’re looking at an eight year old Anikin Skywalker in a pod race.

I believe The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones should have been incorporated into one film. Revenge of the Sith should have been the second. And the third and final film should have taken place a few years after the fall of the Republic. Even though there are no Jedi except Obi-Wan and Yoda, we could have seen the birth of the Rebellion, the rise of Vader and much more. What would have really been cool is if Mace Windu had somehow survived and had to incorporate machines in his body much as Vader did to survive. And the final light saber battle of the film could have been Vader vs Windu in the battle of half man half machine Jedi, with Vader winning and demonstrating his power while in his prime. That’s just my opinion.

My vote is for starwars. It has a broader range on story...

I believe Star Trek has a greater history than Star Wars. I mean there had to have been at least 500 Star Trek episodes on TV and 10 Movies. Compared to 6 Star Wars Movies and 2 Animated Episodes.

I just hope from the Star Trek side of things, they make another movie, perhaps with the DS9 crew and Voyager crew together.

And on the Star Wars side of things, I hope some how they bridge the gap between Episodes 3 and 4, either on TV or the Big Screen.....

Who do you thin would win between the Borg and the Force?

Borg vs Jedi (Force). That all depends on the type of battle. In a space battle, I think the Borg has far superior technology and would defeat the Jedi. But, in a ground battle, I give an overwhelming edge to the Jedi. Unless the Borg have such superior numbers over the Jedi, I can't see them winning that type of contast.

I think a better contast would be Worf vs Vader. However, this would not be a contest if Vader could use a lightsabre, so for this contest I propose Worf vs Vader and only Klingon weapons can be used. Who wins? I say if its the Vader in his prime, than Vader wins hands down. If its the Vader that was defeated by Luke Skywalker (A half trained Jedi), than I give a slight edge to Lt. Commander Worf.

District B13
Darth Vader is the pimpest villain of all time, of ALL time.

Except for his wussy performance in Episode 3, of course.

Vader could defeat anyone he wanted too, the manchine is unstoppable.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by thedeal526

Borg vs Jedi (Force). That all depends on the type of battle. In a space battle, I think the Borg has far superior technology and would defeat the Jedi. But, in a ground battle, I give an overwhelming edge to the Jedi. Unless the Borg have such superior numbers over the Jedi, I can't see them winning that type of contast.

I think a better contast would be Worf vs Vader. However, this would not be a contest if Vader could use a lightsabre, so for this contest I propose Worf vs Vader and only Klingon weapons can be used. Who wins? I say if its the Vader in his prime, than Vader wins hands down. If its the Vader that was defeated by Luke Skywalker (A half trained Jedi), than I give a slight edge to Lt. Commander Worf.
Actually, defeating Vader was the final step in Luke's training as a jedi, so he was more than half trained. Also, the conflict between Vader and Luke was the culmination of the entire saga, and was using the age old Father/Son story mechanics found in stuff like The Odyssey. Jedi skills were part of the story, but meant little as far as the man vs man/self conflict that was coming to an end. The victory over Vader by Luke had absolutely nothing to do with who had the greater jedi skills, and was a battle of wills and a passing of the torch. Just where Luke would end up carrying the torch was the point of the saga, not who could lift more objects or fight with a sword. Star Wars is an old mythological story wrapped in an interesting fantasy shell, but the classic conflict was clearly the focus.

But, since this isn't a serious discussion about the metaphor and allegory behind Star Wars and Star Trek, I will attempt to answer some of these questions you folks have posed...

First off, Worf vs Vader? Huh? Can't vader just choke that overgrown gorilla from 100 yards away? Hasn't this been covered already in another thread? Vader would just yank all of Worf's limbs off before Worf could even get close, or perhaps vader could just stop his heart or something. Also, Worf wears a goofy uniform, and therefore loses by default. Worf should be selling girl scout cookies in that pajama suit, not fighting a dark lord of the sith.

Another thing. Star Wars and Star Trek are both fantasy pieces. Star Trek rooted in actual science? That is preposterous. Warp Drive? Triolic Waves? Klingons? Romulans? Dylithium Crystals? I read an interesting paper on the feasibilty of two of the star trek technologies (warp drive and transporters) and the scientists involved basically said they had little or no probability of working the way they do in Star Trek.

Warp drive supposedly creates a controlled black hole with a matter/antimatter collision in front of the ship, which is somehow held out at a certain distance by some form of energy, sort of like a carrot in front of a horse, and the ship is pulled at fantastic rates towards the black hole, which is...somehow propelled along....without propulsion. So, even in fastasy it sounds goofy, and when you think about what would really happen, the idea becomes laughable. A mattter/anti matter collison would illicit a catastrophic celestial event of enormous magnitude, disrupting magnetic and gravitational waves/particles for light years around the event. Solar systems would collapse, planetary collisions would occur as all the nearby bodies were yanked off their rotational axis, and any little ship that was nearby would basically cease to exist, because anything that finds itself inside the event horizon of a black hole basically ceases to exist. Any form of energy that we attempted to control the bolack hole with would be absorbed instantaniously.

As for transporters..Nope, not gonna happen. Although the scientists asked did seem hopeful about the decimation and assimilation of matter into a controlled matter stream, the moving and reformation of the matter sequence in the correct order is a problem they can't even begin to approach. How does one stop a matter stream in motion and have it decode exactly in sequence at another point in space time, even for a solid, non-organic object, is a problem of immense complexity. Forget about something as complex as the human body, a chaotic (and unique for every person) blend of many different chemicals put together in an ever so fragile manner. Not to mention if ANY sort of contaminant got into the mix (ala The Fly)....

So yeah..Star Trek is most certainly fantasy, as well.

District B13
Originally Posted by Sedai
Another thing. Star Wars and Star Trek are both fantasy pieces. Star Trek rooted in actual science? That is preposterous. Warp Drive? Triolic Waves? Klingons? Romulans? Dylithium Crystals? I read an interesting paper on the feasibilty of two of the star trek technologies (warp drive and transporters) and the scientists involved basically said they had little or no probability of working the way they do in Star Trek.

Warp drive supposedly creates a controlled black hole with a matter/antimatter collision in front of the ship, which is somehow held out at a certain distance by some form of energy, sort of like a carrot in front of a horse, and the ship is pulled at fantastic rates towards the black hole, which is...somehow propelled along....without propulsion. So, even in fastasy it sounds goofy, and when you think about what would really happen, the idea becomes laughable. A mattter/anti matter collison would illicit a catastrophic celestial event of enormous magnitude, disrupting magnetic and gravitational waves/particles for light years around the event. Solar systems would collapse, planetary collisions would occur as all the nearby bodies were yanked off their rotational axis, and any little ship that was nearby would basically cease to exist, because anything that finds itself inside the event horizon of a black hole basically ceases to exist. Any form of energy that we attempted to control the bolack hole with would be absorbed instantaniously.

As for transporters..Nope, not gonna happen. Although the scientists asked did seem hopeful about the decimation and assimilation of matter into a controlled matter stream, the moving and reformation of the matter sequence in the correct order is a problem they can't even begin to approach. How does one stop a matter stream in motion and have it decode exactly in sequence at another point in space time, even for a solid, non-organic object, is a problem of immense complexity. Forget about something as complex as the human body, a chaotic (and unique for every person) blend of many different chemicals put together in an ever so fragile manner. Not to mention if ANY sort of contaminant got into the mix (ala The Fly)....

So yeah..Star Trek is most certainly fantasy, as well.
Hoe smokes.

I guess the nerds I talked too in history class didn't know jack ****.

For God's sake don't watch "signs"
Look at my title. Ain't I smart?
And here is what sucks about each series so you can take your own concclusions.

Star Wars
-Darth...Vader...breathes...too much...Sometimes...
-Uh...Look at somethin I saw: All bad guys have red swords, the goods most have blue and red. Except Mace windu...why he has a pink sword? He's into the gay side of the force?
-General Grievous...alright...creative one huh Lucas?
-Oh and The way Yoda talk rules! He talks so cool. If I were a star wars character I would be Yoda, Who looks at him is like "Oooohh a green midget, back off little sucker" and He's like "Size matters not" and then start jumping cutting body parts. COOOOL
-ANAKIN CUT DOOKU'S HEAD OFF! But first he cut the hands...but even so...NO BLOOD!!! How in God's sake is that possible!?
-That part when Han Solo got stuck in metal sucked...How he didn't died from heat or asphixiation? Answer me now Star Wars fans! Luke defies thee.
-Uh...It's easy to make the prophecy guy change sides with the force huh? Just make him have a bad dream and Vóila..."Me Darth Vader, me trying to learn everything I can about the sith, Which I know that are evil, so me can stop Padmé's death, even If I have no guarantee if she's really going to die since all tips I have is a dream...oh wait the same thing happened to my mother...Hmmm...Yeah...maybe I have a point. But the other things Luke said is truely true."
-I saw all the movies and still have no idea what the hell is the force.

Star Trek

-I saw one movie or too so I can't say much sorry...But...Berilium crystals? What the hell...and anyway Star Trek comedy is by far the worst comedy in all universe. There's a part in one movie which the robot (A guy with silver paint in the face and hands) Is made distracted by its captain making a song play in the radio of his ship...HUAHAUHAUHAUAHUAUAHUAHAUHAUHAUAH...I barely can stand on my feet.
-But there was this bad guy that really was good (I know I said I would tell everything that sucks not the good things) He had that piece of skin that machines held to stop him from looking old and he passed all his life making genetic repositions to survive he was cool. And then he tried to take over a planet of eternal youth to be immortal without the genetic (Okay he was dumb, there was only one village in the entire planet and instead of moving there and building a little shack in the woods he decided to start a conflict, But come on He's a BAD GUY!)
-That's about it. Didn't see so much Star Trek movies
My avatar is the evil doctor whom tried to test if his dumbness potion he put in the water had worked. So he created a movie to defy the inteligence of the most lesser minded human beings he decided to call this movie "signs".

Originally Posted by lucky_luke
Look at my title. Ain't I smart?
Hm. I suppose. It's cleveresque, at least.

-Uh...Look at somethin I saw: All bad guys have red swords, the goods most have blue and red. Except Mace windu...why he has a pink sword? He's into the gay side of the force?
Shaft requested it, apparently. Also, there's more than just blue and red; Yoda has a green one, as does Luke in Return of the Jedi.

-General Grievous...alright...creative one huh Lucas?
I don't follow. I thought the idea of a cyborg Jedi hunter who collects the lightsabers of his victims was rather cool, though.

-ANAKIN CUT DOOKU'S HEAD OFF! But first he cut the hands...but even so...NO BLOOD!!! How in God's sake is that possible!?
I assume the lightsaber cauterizes the wound.

-That part when Han Solo got stuck in metal sucked...How he didn't died from heat or asphixiation? Answer me now Star Wars fans! Luke defies thee.
It's, like, technology, and stuff. We don't need the details; why not ask for a schematic of the Falcon's hyperdrive, too?

-But there was this bad guy that really was good (I know I said I would tell everything that sucks not the good things) He had that piece of skin that machines held to stop him from looking old and he passed all his life making genetic repositions to survive he was cool. And then he tried to take over a planet of eternal youth to be immortal without the genetic (Okay he was dumb, there was only one village in the entire planet and instead of moving there and building a little shack in the woods he decided to start a conflict, But come on He's a BAD GUY!)
That'd be 1998's Star Trek: Insurrection, and the bad guy in question was Ad'har Ru'afo (at least, that's what IMDB says...I'm not enough of a geek to have known that off the top of my head). If memory serves, he explained at one point that the effects from living on the planet were too slow to reverse the process, and thus he had to "extract" the radiation to counteract his aging.

Oh, and welcome to MoFo.

For God's sake don't watch "signs"
Originally Posted by Yoda
Shaft requested it, apparently. Also, there's more than just blue and red; Yoda has a green one, as does Luke in Return of the Jedi.

I don't follow. I thought the idea of a cyborg Jedi hunter who collects the lightsabers of his victims was rather cool, though.

That'd be 1998's Star Trek: Insurrection, and the bad guy in question was Ad'har Ru'afo (at least, that's what IMDB says...I'm not enough of a geek to have known that off the top of my head). If memory serves, he explained at one point that the effects from living on the planet were too slow to reverse the process, and thus he had to "extract" the radiation to counteract his aging.

Oh, and welcome to MoFo.
About lightsabers:
Oh that was an error I didn't see. The good guys have blue and GREEN, no blue and red.

About grievous:
The cyborg is cool and all (Specially when he gets four armed)...but the name! Haven't anyone see the name? GRIEVOUS! Adjective of Grief. Now we are at it...why he has a hearth? He's a byotechnology thingy?

About MinionTv:
I'm new to forums okay!? There. Fixed it. Hope you feel better.

Thanks Yoda.

Get off my island
I always preferred Star Wars, I could never get into Star Trek. It probably had to do with how... "scientific" Trek was, while Star Wars was all just pure fantasy. You know how it is, I wanted to be Han, while Kirk was just not close to being as cool. That's just my opinion.

But I like Firefly better than both

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

reading this thread has been the funniest experience ivce had all week, and trust me i go out alot.

lol...mace windu into the gay side of the force??? LMAO...classic

anyways, star wars takes the cake because it actually manages to captivate me.