Fifty Shades of Grey

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
It's about a girl who becomes infatuated with a guy who turns out to be a psychopathic murderer.
Cool. I've read the book. I could give you a summery of all you needed to know about the book. It's not really all that complex. Don't worry I wouldn't tell you about the graphic stuff. Just his behavior relating to being potentially abusive.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Argg. Everything about this movie is disgusting. I haven't had something stuck in my craw this bad in a long time.

I'm starting to feel like that person who had an obsession with The Town, but I think my objections are a little more reasonable.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Just got back from seeing this movie and I honestly didn't mind it. Ime not saying it's great but it's certainly not as bad as people are making it.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I'll see it if RiffTrax does it.

As for box office: this film has "huge second week dropoff" written all over it. The curiosity factor, the built-in fan base, and the possibility of bad word of mouth are all things that tend to lead to major decreases after a film's opening weekend, and this might have all three (the latter being the only debatable part). It wouldn't shock me if we say a 65-70% decrease next weekend.

Yep, I'd expect this drop massively next week. 70% seems almost reasonable.

I also agree that Rifftrax would have to be the way to go. I'm not sure if I'd see it, but I'd certainly think about it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
At my local cinema, there were about twelve screenings of this yesterday, compared to two or three of anything else. In fact, for the casual adult cinema goer, it's pretty close to the only choice, since pretty much everything else out at half term is for kids. I had to drive to the next town to watch Jupiter Ascending and I'm pretty sure that was for kids too.

Most BDSM people I've known/read seem to dislike this book because much/all of it isn't really BDSM. According to them, it's abuse.

I don't know if the novel purports to be an accurate portrayal of BDSM anymore than any film featuring a gay couple purports to represent the gay community. It does link the violence to Christian being psychologically traumatised so I would say it's more of a compulsion that a pleasant activity. That's why middle-aged women could read it because they knew that Christian 'didn't really mean to hurt her'. Obviously that may reflect badly on BDSM community in that it says that those sexual preferences come from psychological trauma.

My impression with BDSM is that it's roleplay, so they have brief moments when they get to play master and slave and it's enjoyable because it's something that they wouldn't do every day. Whereas Christian is permenantly controlling so it's not exactly roleplay- it's real.

I feel that the tagline 'Lose control' sounds like incontinence to me.

This movie is currently creating lot of buzz. So i thought to create a thread where i and other member can post about the movie.
Not sure why it's creating so much buzz - from what I gather it's probably only because the movie features "bondage scenes" - other than that it'd be just another run-of-the-mill romantic flick.

Whoop de do. America never fails to reveal just how sexually repressed and busybody it's mentality is. It's just like the (non) controversy over Miley Cyrus 'twerking' (OMG!) in a performance (despite Madonna music videos from the early 90s being more explicit).

Not to mention that slasher films like "Saw" films which feature graphic torture, violence, dismemberment, etc don't generate an iota of this 'buzz' - but as soon as you add "sex" (gasp) to the mix - the dumbed down bourgeoisie gums start flapping like the sky is falling.

The average American must have a really boring sex life, as well as a creepy obsession with those of others.

Argg. Everything about this movie is disgusting. I haven't had something stuck in my craw this bad in a long time.

I'm starting to feel like that person who had an obsession with The Town, but I think my objections are a little more reasonable.
Do not mention her or that movie. I swear, every time somebody types that title here, she rears her ugly head and starts spewing insane rantings about it.

She'll disappear for long stretches and then suddenly she's back again.

Exactly. It's not about what happens in the bedroom in this book and I would awesome the movie as well, it's what happens after it. He stalks her, controls her and tries to alienate her from everyone but him (classic abuser behavior) but the books writes it as that's how she knows her really cares.
That's awfully similar to the plot of a Saw film - why is the controversy so disproportionate.

I'm glad so many in the bdsm community and people that write erotica have spoken against it. When I try to speak out about it people don't listen and assume it's the sex I'm against and it's not.
Then why is the controversy so fixated on this film, versus say a "Saw film". In the plot of the Saw films, the main character stalks his targets, controls, alienates, and abuses them - and does it because he supposedly "cares" about them (just like you described the plot of this film) - not to mention the torture in Saw films is way worse.

So the only key difference here is that one involves "sex" and one doesn't.

I'm not gonna speak for you personally - but the reason that this controversy as a whole is so disproportionate strong is because it involves "sex" - this is why films with graphic torture and dismemberment don't get as much controversy as a 5 second scene of a nude pop start "twerking" - we're still a lot more "Saudi Arabia" in our mentality than we'd like to believe.

The key difference is that one is marketed as a horror movie and the other is marketed as a romance.
I don't understand what the difference is other than the "labeling".

The description of the character and MO seems to be the same, and in the Saw films even though he was the "killer" the films went into his backstory to try to generate "sympathy" for him, and make him seem more "deep" than just an average killer. This has been a trend in other horror films like the Halloween remake too.

The Punisher films are another example - they're marketed as "action/thriller", and you're supposed to sympathize with the protagonist even though he's a mass murderer - but where is all the media controversy over those films? I doubt it's a coincidence that one film involves "sex" (OMG!), while the other doesn't.

The more I read about it, the more I want to watch it just to be a thorn in the side of the radical feminist/PC police and anti-sex religious extremists in the media - who are both allies in the war against freedom and social progress, and my sworn enemies.

I don't know if the novel purports to be an accurate portrayal of BDSM anymore than any film featuring a gay couple purports to represent the gay community. It does link the violence to Christian being psychologically traumatised so I would say it's more of a compulsion that a pleasant activity. That's why middle-aged women could read it because they knew that Christian 'didn't really mean to hurt her'. Obviously that may reflect badly on BDSM community in that it says that those sexual preferences come from psychological trauma.

My impression with BDSM is that it's roleplay, so they have brief moments when they get to play master and slave and it's enjoyable because it's something that they wouldn't do every day. Whereas Christian is permanently controlling so it's not exactly roleplay- it's real.

I feel that the tagline 'Lose control' sounds like incontinence to me.
It's a movie - IMO of the two, this movie and a "BDSM community", the latter sounds worse.

Light bondage and role-playing during sex is one thing, but devoting an entire community to a specific kink like that is more like a paraphilia. On the flip side we basically just have a movie with PG-13 quality violence, no different than "Psycho", "Silence of the Lambs" or 100s of movies which came before it - which would be a flash in the pan if it didn't involve "sex".