Promotion For MovieForums Top 100 Horror Films

Tools    

Horror is whatever is horror to you.

If you consider something a horror movie, you should put it on your list.

Even if it’s something like Norbit.

STOP arguing about what films classify as horror.

Let each and every MoFo decide what’s a horror film to them.

If something stupid winds up on the Countdown, so be it!

Get over yourselves.

~ Sexy Celebrity (using Cricket’s account - don’t get mad, I need someone to help restore my old account for me sometime since I still can’t sign in - and I need the power to edit posts ~ “Jase” is dead, you can ban it for me, thanks.)

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
Horror is whatever is horror to you.

If you consider something a horror movie, you should put it on your list.

Even if it’s something like Norbit.

STOP arguing about what films classify as horror.

Let each and every MoFo decide what’s a horror film to them.

If something stupid winds up on the Countdown, so be it!

Get over yourselves.
I kind of agree with this. The reality is that if something isn't "really horror," it's probably not going to get enough votes to make it on the list anyway.

@Miss Vicky

I LOVED...

Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot.

It’s one of my top favorite films right now.

I’ve seen it three times already.

~ S.C. (I’m leaving!)

Didn't expect Silence Of The Lambs to be ineligible. Did expect Jaws and I agree, although if the ruling went the other way I would vote for it.
To the first one you mention, I agreed with @cricket 's view

Silence of the Lambs
No, unless you want to include movies like Se7en. I consider it a crime thriller.
Those give off a similar vibe, of a "crime-thriller," so that's why I agree with cricket.

The discussion so far is an exercise in protecting the credibility of what can make it on. It is a lot easier to say "anything goes," but by remaining true to a Horror emphasis the Final product will be more sincere.

Some more I want to ask about

Zombieland
L̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶S̶h̶o̶p̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶H̶o̶r̶r̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶(̶1̶9̶8̶6̶)̶
Slither (2006)

And...
Misery (1990)
Carrie (1976)
Oh, just thought... Tremors a horror?
These mentioned by @The Rodent and @Citizen Rules , all yes. Except for L̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶S̶h̶o̶p̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶H̶o̶r̶r̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶(̶1̶9̶8̶6̶)̶. That's a no. Here's the trailer. Pretty straight forward, I'd say.

Do we get to include foreign horror?

Sauna (2008)
IMDB - Horror
Wikipedia - Finnish horror film
Rotten Tomatoes - Art House & International, Drama, Horror

Skjult (2009)
IMDB - Horror, Thriller
Wikipedia - Norwegian psychological horror film
Rotten Tomatoes - Art House & International, Horror, Mystery & Suspense

Zwart Water (2010)
IMDB - Horror
Wikipedia - Dutch horror film
Rotten Tomatoes - Art House & International, Horror

Thale (2013)
IMDB - Drama, Fantasy, Horror
Wikipedia - Norwegian supernatural horror film
Rotten Tomatoes - Mystery & Suspense, Science Fiction & Fantasy

Yeah foreign horror should definitely be ok. There's some really good horror movies from Japan as well.

Yeah foreign horror should definitely be ok. There's some really good horror movies from Japan as well.
Hell I know more than just what I posted... great films from Denmark and Switzerland too!

Need some suggestions tbh... my Horror taste tends to lean toward sci-fi horror, comedy horror, and psychological horror.
Any new suggestions?

So far I've got... in alphabetical order:
A Quiet Place (2018)
Alien (1979)
The Babadook (2014)
The Cabin In The Woods (2012)
Candyman (1992)
Carrie (1976)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Fly (1986)
The Grey (2011) - Eligible?
Hellraiser (1987)
Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (1978)
Misery (1990)
The Mist (2007)
Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
Poltergeist (1982)
Psycho (1960)
Slither (2006)
The Shining (1980)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
They Live (1988) - Eligible?
The Thing (1982)
Tremors (1990)
Wolf Creek (2005)
Zombieland (2009)

If you are doing Zombies.... then

Opstandelsen (2010) should be definitely included.

Just been scanning over the old horror list. Getting some ideas from that now too.
Totally forgot about Vampire movies.

Horror is a pretty solid genre tbh.
Comedy, sci-fi, psychological... then there's the themes, from Slashers with the invincible villain, to Werewolves, to Vampires and Mummies... gonna be hard to get cut down to only 25.

It seems to me that going by IMDb genre listing is going to be the only way to do it, otherwise it's just going to be a "Top 100 Movies That Nostro Considers Horror" list. I see no difference in tone between Gremlins and the horror comedies that he does consider acceptable.

It seems to me that going by IMDb genre listing is going to be the only way to do it, otherwise it's just going to be a "Top 100 Movies That Nostro Considers Horror" list. I see no difference in tone between Gremlins and the horror comedies that he does consider acceptable.
I agree with Miss Vicky

Also there is a site called

https://horrorpedia.com/

I get daily emails from them with all kinds of horror films!

What about They Live though?

They Live has a lot of action, sci-fi, and comedy elements going on, though it passes the IMDb and Wikipedia horror tag test. lt is a big genre mash-up. Definitely on the borderline, but I'd say vote for it if you want. I wonder if it's mainly tabbed as horror for marketing purposes considering John Carpenter directed.

Instead of quibbling over genre I think it would be better to frame horror in aged periods of time (and this is good for all genre)

Classic (1920-1959)
Golden (1960-1990)
Modern (1991-2018)

Because really knocking out

Gremlins
Aliens
Silence of the Lambs
Seven
Psycho
Sixth Sense
etc.
Just seems silly to me

Will definitely be involved in this as I've been trying to make a top Horror list for myself anyway.

About definition, it's really difficult. I Googled a lot about the matter a while ago and found very interesting Reddit debate about thriller vs horror and have been planning to expand on that when I (hopefully one day) post my own horror list. In short the idea is that in horror the world / society is somehow wrong and functions / reacts / responds in a way we wouldn't expect in the real world.

This is the thread I'm referring to (and Gorgonaut666 is the poster): https://www.reddit.com/r/horror/comm...ler_vs_horror/.

But yeah, for such a group task as this I'd probably go with IMDb tags or something.

Instead of quibbling over genre I think it would be better to frame horror in aged periods of time (and this is good for all genre)

Classic (1920-1959)
Golden (1960-1990)
Modern (1991-2018)

Because really knocking out

Gremlins
Aliens
Silence of the Lambs
Seven
Psycho
Sixth Sense
etc.
Just seems silly to me

We're not counting Psycho?

Or I am remaining steady on the genre that the List is about.

It shouldn't be a game of, "I don't like Horror movies, so let's see how many not really Horror movies I can get on this."

Or I am remaining steady on the genre that the List is about.

It shouldn't be a game of, "I don't like Horror movies, so let's see how many not really Horror movies I can get on this."
Using IMDB tags solves the problem. Or use Horrorpedia as a guide.