MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

I really liked the start of Sinister. The set-up was great, and the atmosphere was quite tense, but once the film starts to explain events, it really falls apart for me. It would've been way creepier without that kind of reveal.

WARNING: "Sinister (2012)" spoilers below
Also Bagul is a really, really stupid name that I can't say with a straight face.

Seen: 17/26
My List: 2

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

Sinister is one of the best horrors from this decade. Was originally planning to rewatch it for this but in the end didn't. It would probably be in my top-50 but I didn't vote it now. Haven't seen Diabolique (I'm familiar with the name but don't know much about the film itself).

Seen: 21/26

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Not too many recent horror flicks appeal to me and I will, when I do, go with something along the lines of a haunting and Sinister fit the bill rather nicely when it came out on DVD and my room mate rented it. I had it at #17

I had checked out Diabolique after seeing the remake with Sharon Stone when it came out in '96. A friend said I really needed to see the original. And it put the remake to shame. Been too long to remember any real details from it but I do remember it being a good thriller. Should try to revisit it.

Films Watched: 13 out of 26
#17 Sinister (#76)
#20 The Devil's Backbone (#89)
#21 Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (#84)
#22 Theatre of Blood (#103)
#23 Re-Animator (#88)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Did not vote for It Follows. I was luke warm on it when I saw it. There is a lot I like about it, but also a lot that felt flat to me. Super excited to see it on the list though, I believe it belongs there because the ideas it presents and the talented way it is presented are enough to warrant a spot.

Sinister on paper should be right up my alley. Yet I found myself a little bored by it. This is one film that I should really give a second chance. It did not make my list.

Never seen Diabolique.

Army of Darkness. What can I say about this movie? It's in my top ten. I've seen it a hundred times. I have multiple copies of it on dvd. I have multiple t-shirts that I wear based on this movie. I met Bruce Campbell, had him sign my book. Sam Raimi is one of my favourite directors and his Evil Dead trilogy is my favourite horror trilogy.

It did not make my list.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
The thoughtful post on Bruce Campbell's Ash is combined with an altogether unmindful reckoning with Woody Harrelson's Tallahassee in comparison. Little Rock and the lost kid are one factor. As well as the bond built between Tallahassee and Columbus, who are fed up with each other and about to part ways, that Tallahassee chooses to stick with the dejected Jesse Eisenberg who falls flat on his butt, into the bushes in the driveway, trying to drive one of Bill Murray's motorcycles to save Emma Stone's Wichita at Pacific Playland. Tallahassee would've bailed if he were a "flat badass."
Thanks for reminding me of the kind of joke I'd actively try to forget about seeing in a comedy. Besides, it still acknowledges that the attempts that are made to temper his more obvious badass qualities don't work for me - these are more about giving him a personality outside being badass rather than actually presenting him with any significant sort of challenge to his badassery, but I'd say this is more a problem with the film as a whole than with him in particular.

Dancing while Snake Plissken prods at "being almost entirely stuck in badass mode" is probably my favorite part here though.
Heh, well-played, but at least his supposed badass qualities are undermined by how he has to run and hide the whole time and can barely hold his own in a fair fight anyway (plus he gets captured pretty easily at one point). That's what I'm talking about with Ash as well - the guy can shoot and chainsaw enemies where need be but not without getting thoroughly messed up first. I don't seem to recall Tallahassee ever really ending up being similarly threatened, but like I said before, you'll have to excuse me if I don't remember it as well as my actual favourite movies.

Anyway, I haven't seen either of these other two movies. Diabolique has been on my must-see list for a long time - Sinister has not.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Sinister a few years ago when it was the Movie of the Month here on MoFo, and I liked it because it was more of a creepy ghost story than a slasher film, but it didn't make my list.

I've seen Diabolique a few times on Turner Classic Movies over the years, and it's another good movie that I considered for my list, but it just didn't make my list because there wasn't room for it.

MoreOrLess, you having Diabolique at #11 gives the film 15 points, which is listed and recorded correctly.

Diabolique (1955)
Six Votes
65 Points (19, 15, 15, 12, 3, 1)
High Voter: @Pussy Galore
I included Les Diaboliques but at #11 so either some shift happened in my numbers or my list wasn't included.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I had Army of Darkness at #23. Zom-coms all the way. I didn't really care for the first two Evil Dead films though.

I've seen Les Diaboliques but never thought of it as a horror film. It's certainly creepy though.

Five from my list so far:

11. A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014)
14. Zombieland (2009)
15. The Devil’s Backbone (2001)
16. Dog Soldiers (2002)
23. Army of Darkness (1992)

Army Of Darkness - I like it, one of the most quotable movies of all time. Never considered it.
It Follows suffered because I had heard how scary/awesome it was so my expectations were probably too high and was kind of let down. It was good, had a great premise and I would watch it again.
Haven't seen Diabolique.
I think Sinister was my #8 and the most recent film to make my list. This was the opposite of It Follows in that I had low expectations and ended up really liking it. Has the second most memorable scene involving a lawnmower.

Time to write about the films that made my list, including my one-pointer, which I've yet to spotlight:

Dead Heat was my #25. I started not to include it since it's a mish-mash of so many genres, and if I lived in an awesome alternate reality where this was a beloved classic I probably would've used that very reason not to vote for it, but who are we kidding? This is the best (and only?) zombie buddy-cop action/horror/comedy in existence. Treat Williams plays Roger Mortis (get it?), a cop with a 12-hour deadline to find his killer before his re-animated body putrefies to goo. It's a B-movie update of the 1949 film noir D.O.A., which I noticed playing on TV in one of Dead Heat's scenes during my most recent re-watch. 80's SNL alum Joe Piscopo is Williams's partner. Piscopo mugs for the camera a lot, fantasizes about being re-incarnated as a girl's bicycle seat, and appears to have matched The Ultimate Warrior's steroid intake. If you don't like locker-room humor, you'll likely find Piscopo incredibly obnoxious, but I enjoy his goofy demeanor and chauvinistic jokes. The practical effects are surprisingly good. One hilarious scene in a butcher's shop pits our protagonists against zombified chicken breasts, duck heads and the walking slab of meat from a recently slaughtered cow. Vincent Price makes one of his last appearances on film, adding class to the picture with his limited scenes. The runtime zooms, and logic is discarded in favor or melting bodies, exploding vehicles and heaping doses of fun.

I first rented this movie from the video store as a kid and watched it multiple times over the weekend, as I used to do back then with any movie I loved. As years passed, however, I forgot the name of the movie or who was in it or much of the specifics. I used to describe random scenes to Google, but the search engine and my faulty memory always failed me. Finally a couple years ago I stumbled across a screenshot on a random website and in a glorious moment of hallelujah recognized it as the video store relic for which I'd long been searching. Immediately ordered the DVD and basked in nostalgia as I was reminded of why Dead Heat entertained me so much as a kid.

The Last House on the Left was my #20. Wes Craven made many great contributions to the horror genre, but his first two films are his best, in my opinion. (It's a shame that The Hills Have Eyes (1977) likely won't make the countdown, although I made sure to give it a fair number of points.) This is exactly the type of sweaty, nasty, in-your-face horror film that most appeals to me, and it's got that scratchy, sleazy, seventies grindhouse aesthetic that automatically makes every film look cool as hell. This might also be the first true "video nasty" I ever watched, and unlike most of them, this dirty little rape-and-revenge drive-in beacon of controversy lived up to its notorious reputation. I remember returning it to the video store with a sense of shame and reproach, as if I'd just rented a snuff film and the clerks might report me to the authorities. Wes Craven has talked about how this film was a result of a repressed upbringing -- a rebellious lashing-out, of sorts -- along with the growing animosity and disenchantment brought on by the Vietnam War and the Manson murders and all the violence and turmoil raging on the nightly news. He felt a need to shock America's senses, to show how violence begets violence, to strip away our comforts and expose the primal rage residing within each of us. And he succeeded, creating a landmark, revolutionary film in transgressive horror. Rough viewing in more ways than one, but that's how I like it.

Cannibal Holocaust was my #1. I'm not saying it's the greatest horror film ever made, but for what I personally seek from the genre, it's the most effective horror film that I've seen --- and I doubt anything will ever top it. You don't watch Cannibal Holocaust, you endure it. Something alters inside of me every time I watch it. By the time the credits roll, I feel victimized. My senses have been raped. My soul assaulted. I'm miserable for the rest of the day. I lose all hope in humanity. And that's the film's intention. Who are the real savages? We are. You, me, all of us. Detractors say that the film is hypocritical for how it portrays the sensationalism of the media, the bloodthirstiness of viewers and the moral vacuum of society, and I agree, but that hypocrisy only bolsters the message. The real-life filmmakers demonstrate the same ugly traits for which it condemns its fictional filmmakers. Meta on top of meta; an endless string of mirrors reflecting the same black shriveled-up sin.

Much is made of the animal killings, and they're horrible, but the list is long of films that have killed animals on screen, including celebrated classics like Apocalypse Now, so I think that particular controversy is overblown. I find the film's inclusion of real-life executions from war-torn countries just to further its narrative perhaps even more repellent. But it's that marriage of real and staged violence that makes the horror so effective. Suddenly everything feels disturbingly real, which is perhaps why the director was arrested on charges of murder until he proved to the courts that the actors were still alive. Despite The Blair Witch Project getting all the credit, Cannibal Holocaust is the true innovator of the found-footage style. The musical score by Riz Ortolani might be my all-time favorite. At times the score is the very definition of tranquil beauty, then in a blink the music will mutate into something sinister. To me, Cannibal Holocaust is the most disturbing film ever made and a bona fide masterpiece. Getting it on this countdown feels like an honest-to-devil achievement.

Curious about Diabolique (1955) now, seeing it's got an iconic pre-dating-Psycho bathroom scene.
Diabolique is one of those movies that has been on my watch-list forever, never knew it had a pre-Psycho bathroom scene. This makes me want to watch it more. I'm a big Hitchcock fan but it could cost him some originality points and maybe a lower positioning on my future top horror lists..

Army of Darkness. What can I say about this movie? It's in my top ten. I've seen it a hundred times. I have multiple copies of it on dvd. I have multiple t-shirts that I wear based on this movie. I met Bruce Campbell, had him sign my book. Sam Raimi is one of my favourite directors and his Evil Dead trilogy is my favourite horror trilogy.

It did not make my list.
Reading this was super anti-climatic

MoreOrLess, you having Diabolique at #11 gives the film 15 points, which is listed and recorded correctly.
Ah sorry I though you were listing the positions people had given rather than the points.

Pleasantly surprised to see it make the main list, I think you can obviously see the influence on Hitchcock and finale especially is great cinema.

The home movies in Sinister are incredibly creepy, and the first half of the film succeeded in getting under my skin, but my interest in the film unraveled in the second half as it reminded me of why I dislike so many modern supernatural horror films.
Ditto. As soon as the mystery starts unraveling the ending became annoyingly predictable, and made the lead look stupid, but the build up was good and atmospheric.

Haven't seen Army of Darkness (or Evil Dead 2, for that matter). Was hoping to run through the trilogy before they started showing up on here.
Both made my list pretty easily, but I don't care for the first movie too much. Expect Monty Python levels of silly, with a bit less splatter in the third (but fun fun fun premise). The lukewarm comments here hurt my heart a little.

I should be commenting in this thread more! Diabolique is an older favorite, but haven't seen it in a while. Favorites so far are They Live, Neon Demon, Re-Animator, Cannibal Holocaust, Altered States, and Army of Darkness. More borderline horror flicks than I expected so far.

Haven't seen Girl Walks Home... or the two Von Triers yet. Given my love for early Von Trier, I'll get on em asap.

Today we get a twisted treat.
We have a new Presenter busting in for some Saturday entertainment!

Who could it be?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mic.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	52830   Click image for larger version

Name:	drmwrs3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	52831  

No sweat, @MoreOrLess. Can be easy to get crossed up looking at it anyways.

Ah sorry I though you were listing the positions people had given rather than the points.

Pleasantly surprised to see it make the main list, I think you can obviously see the influence on Hitchcock and finale especially is great cinema.