Same sex marriage & Polygamy

Tools    

So what If he thinks relationships should be monogamous I have no problem with that, it doesn't mean he hates people who like to marry many people. You know him well enough to know 7thboy is not the bigoted hating kind
Actually I don't know him at all, but did I at any point claim he was being bigoted or that he hates polygamists? I merely asked why he thinks his definition of marriage should apply to everyone...

The man states that marriage should be restricted to couples. That implies that his definition of marriage as a monogamous relationship should apply to everyone, as opposed to being just a personal preference or lifestyle choice.
You are right, that is how I feel. If you want to bash me for feeling that way then you certainly have that right, just as I have the right to think that marrige should be between two people only.

Is everyone doing drugs or something? When did I bash you? I'm merely asking you to try and elaborate why you feel your own lifestyle choice should be mandatory for everyone because obviously some people don't feel marriage should be restricted to two people. What would be the harm in allowing multiple forms of marriage to coexist?

I agree with 7thson, marriage should be a statement of two people's love for each other, a monogamous marriage could be seen as an insult to those who believe in the sanctity of their marital union.

I agree with 7thson, marriage should be a statement of two people's love for each other, a monogamous marriage could be seen as an insult to those who believe in the sanctity of their marital union.
Really, why?

If two people believe that marriage is a sign of their love for one another, how can they see it as a way of showing that if other people who subscribe to the institution don't share the same inherent values inherent. I only say 'could' i mean, Crash is a great film on the subject and i didn't see either of the characters monogamy as an interruption of their love but that's a film and i'm sure in society it's not like that. Anyway, i know how much you like an argument Adi, so i'm trying to tread carefully.

A system of cells interlinked
Well...I don't see it as "his" definition of marriage. It's just the definition of marriage, period. Let me ask this, Adi:

Many, many people consider marriage to be a sacred rite, bound by the tenants of Religion. I am not religious, so I don't look at it in the same way, but many people do. What gives us the right to come along and just decide to alter it? It isn't ours to decide what to change or not to change. It just isn't. The argument works both ways.

I just don't understand why certain small (and they ARE relatively small) special interest groups seem to think they can take something for their own, and just arbitrarily change it. People may want to remove the religious attachment of marriage, but they can't, because then it won't be marriage.

I mean, marrying more than one person? That flies in the face of basically everything marriage stands for, as far as I am concerned. I am sure with enough equivocation based on relative morality, an argument for marrying multiple people may emerge, but it would be pretty thin.

As an agnostic, I think about relative morality more and more, and it is becoming more of an issue with me, but just personally. my political beliefs are all about civil liberties and personal responsibility, so i can't sit here and tell people how they should live, and i won't try.

I will tell you how I live, and what I believe is right, but I won't try to sell it to you...

But, you knew that...

If two people believe that marriage is a sign of their love for one another, how can they see it as a way of showing that if other people who subscribe to the institution don't share the same inherent values inherent. I only say 'could' i mean, Crash is a great film on the subject and i didn't see either of the characters monogamy as an interruption of their love but that's a film and i'm sure in society it's not like that.
What you're saying is that marriage is an institution that was invented by Christians so therefore it's inherently monogamous (and restricted to heterosexuals)? Because I don't believe that's exactly true (read on for an explanation).
Anyway, i know how much you like an argument Adi, so i'm trying to tread carefully.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Don't worry mate, I don't think you could say anything I'd mind more than the opinions you've already expressed...

Well...I don't see it as "his" definition of marriage. It's just the definition of marriage, period.
Really? Then what's this?: Polygamy.

Let me ask this, Adi:

Many, many people consider marriage to be a sacred rite, bound by the tenants of Religion. I am not religious, so I don't look at it in the same way, but many people do. What gives us the right to come along and just decide to alter it? It isn't ours to decide what to change or not to change. It just isn't. The argument works both ways.
Marriage isn't just a religious institution, obviously, otherwise atheists and agnostics couldn't marry. We're talking about the civil institution of marriage, not the religious one.

I just don't understand why certain small (and they ARE relatively small) special interest groups seem to think they can take something for their own, and just arbitrarily change it. People may want to remove the religious attachment of marriage, but they can't, because then it won't be marriage.
Yes it will be, the law says so.

I mean, marrying more than one person? That flies in the face of basically everything marriage stands for, as far as I am concerned. I am sure with enough equivocation based on relative morality, an argument for marrying multiple people may emerge, but it would be pretty thin.
What does marriage stand for? Monogamy and heterosexuality? A union intended to produce offspring? I always thought marriage was a bond between two (or more) people sanctioned by the law and given certain benefits because it promotes stable, long term relationships.

As an agnostic, I think about relative morality more and more, and it is becoming more of an issue with me, but just personally. my political beliefs are all about civil liberties and personal responsibility, so i can't sit here and tell people how they should live, and i won't try.
But you allow others to?

This part was Sedai's, and I ain't fixing it!

Sedai said . . .

But you allow others to?
I don't think he is "allowing". It's freedom of speech. Anyone has the right to say they are against something, as much as you have to say you are for it. You don't want anyone telling you to keep it to yourself. They don't have to either.

I wonder if I could **** this thing up anymore. Stupid quotes!

I don't think he is "allowing". It's freedom of speech. Anyone has the right to say they are against something, as much as you have to say you are for it. You don't want anyone telling you to keep it to yourself. They don't have to either.
We're not talking so much about freedom of speech as about libertarianism. I've already expressed my disliking of it. It allows the majority to tread upon the rights of the minority, in the case of gay marriages and polygamy without any real justification save for tradition. Well, hate to bring up the parallel again, but interracial marriages were also once illegal.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hey, adi, what would call yourself, politically? Try to cover any and all contradictions.

It allows the majority to tread upon the rights of the minority, in the case of gay marriages and polygamy without any real justification save for tradition. Well, hate to bring up the parallel again, but interracial marriages were also once illegal.

So where or when do "you" say a minority group is crossing the line? Should we allow people to marry animals, dead people, cars, relatives, what about age limits, etc... ? I mean the argument that a group thinks or knows that they are right or should have rights could never end. Many groups think it is okay to marry children, guess that is okay too? Why not allow a cow and a slice of avacado to get hitched, I mean I would love for my pet rocks to hook up. I know they love each other, I can see it in their dusty drawn on eyes. All I am saying is that for me marrige is for couples and maybe cars.

Actually I don't know him at all,
If you have read a lot of his posts, you would get to know him, and like him
but did I at any point claim he was being bigoted or that he hates polygamists?
No they were my words

I asked a guy once who came from a culture that allowed multiple wives (I was curious as one wife is enough for me)...he hit me with this:

"In some countries that are decimated by centuries of war, the male population dwindles to the point where there are a lot more women then men...

Do you allow these women to be forever alone due to lack of men?
Do you deny them the chance at love at all...due to numbers?"

After I got over the chovenistic tone of the comment...it kinda made sense to me...go figure...

The People's Republic of Clogher
I asked a guy once who came from a culture that allowed multiple wives (I was curious as one wife is enough for me)...he hit me with this:

"In some countries that are decimated by centuries of war, the male population dwindles to the point where there are a lot more women then men...

Do you allow these women to be forever alone due to lack of men?
Do you deny them the chance at love at all...due to numbers?"

After I got over the chovenistic tone of the comment...it kinda made sense to me...go figure...
That reminds me of when I was at school, searching for a Uni that would take me on. A load of us (guys) applied to Nottingham purely because of their legendarily high proportion of women (or low proportion of men, can't remember now ) in the city.

Don't think any of us got in.

Back on topic, as Christine says, same sex marriage has been in operation over here for a few years now. This is fine in liberal old England but when you look at my little country, a place where Ian Paisley was ousted (not outed as I originally typed - somebody call Freud!) from power because he was too conciliatory.

Gay people in Ireland still tend to move to Britain and unfortunately no amount of sensible legislation will matter if you're a knuckle-dragging waste of air who's a bit annoyed that we're no longer allowed to hate Catholics and Protestants. Homophobic hate crime is through the roof here, as is race hate crime.

Welcome to Northern Ireland!

Ok, it wasn't exactly on topic but there are a few areas over here that make America's Bible Belt seem like Amsterdam on a Friday night. I watch the evening news and regularly wonder why the Hell I'm still here.

Hey, adi, what would call yourself, politically? Try to cover any and all contradictions.
I'm actually rather apolitical.
So where or when do "you" say a minority group is crossing the line? Should we allow people to marry animals, dead people, cars, relatives, what about age limits, etc... ? I mean the argument that a group thinks or knows that they are right or should have rights could never end. Many groups think it is okay to marry children, guess that is okay too? Why not allow a cow and a slice of avacado to get hitched, I mean I would love for my pet rocks to hook up. I know they love each other, I can see it in their dusty drawn on eyes. All I am saying is that for me marrige is for couples and maybe cars.
You know, those same arguments are also used by people who oppose gay marriage.
I'd say the line is "consenting adults". That would include allowing marriage to be only between humans of a certain age when it is considered they are able to make their own decisions. Plus, obviously marriage between close relatives is forbidden because of inbreeding which may cause genetic disorders in offspring.

Now I'd like you to give some actual arguments against polygamy.