The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I was out of town last weekend, but one of the pre-reveal questions I meant to ask the group is how many of the ten Best Picture Oscar winners do you think will make the collective list? And as none have yet been revealed, I can still ask.

The ten films were The King's Speech, The Artist, Argo, 12 Years a Slave, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water, Green Book, and Parasite.

I'll guess eight of the ten make it.
I'd prob go for 8 as well tbh.
Argo and Green Book being the omissions.
I wouldn't be surprised if Moonlight and Parasite didn't make it either though. Don't hear much about them after their 15 minutes of fame.

I was out of town last weekend, but one of the pre-reveal questions I meant to ask the group is how many of the ten Best Picture Oscar winners do you think will make the collective list? And as none have yet been revealed, I can still ask.

The ten films were The King's Speech, The Artist, Argo, 12 Years a Slave, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water, Green Book, and Parasite.

The King's Speech - wouldn't have thought so
The Artist - Possibly
Argo - Probably not?
12 Years a Slave - Surely
Birdman - Definitely
Spotlight - Probably not?
Moonlight - Definitely
The Shape of Water - Probably
Green Book - Probably, just about
Parasite - Guaranteed. Probably top ten and a contender for the winner.

So I'll go for 6/7.

I'd prob go for 8 as well tbh.
Argo and Green Book being the omissions.
I wouldn't be surprised if Moonlight and Parasite didn't make it either though. Don't hear much about them after their 15 minutes of fame.
Parasite was #3 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Films List. I suspect it is a lock to be here, probably up very high (at least the top twenty-five if not top ten). I expect Moonlight will almost surely make it as well.

I also think the two on the bubble are Green Book and Argo.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Don't think Green Book, The King's Speech and Argo are going to make it so I'll guess 6 or 7 of the ten.

Really hope Parasite, The Artist and Spotlight make it because they were all close to making my ballot.

There is a better chance of Parasite winning the countdown than not appearing at all. It's one of the most popular films ever and even cracked the recent Sight & Sound poll. It's loved on here and in every film community that I've come across.

Joining the Hereditary starts strong and loses me bandwagon. That’s not unusual for me. I’m more about the journey than the destination.

I had to look up my Man From Nowhere score. That one left me even quicker than usual. Apparently I think it’s fine.

I will guess six make it: Parasite, Moonlight, 12 Years, Shape Of Water, Birdman, Spotlight

A system of cells interlinked

I will guess 7/10 here, with Argo, Green Book and The King's Speech being the ones that miss.

A system of cells interlinked
Hereditary was not on my list, but I have seen it. it was well-made and had a couple of really memorable 9and disturbing) scenes, but I wasn't over the moon for it - the same can be said of this directors other film, Midsommar.

The Man From Nowhere did make my list, sitting at #17. My wife and I both loved this, and it's a rare action flick with a powerful emotional story, as well. A future classic in the genre.

Seen 3/6

Hereditary and (maybe too obvious) Searching, perhaps?

Unless someone guessed it before the hint, I think you were the first person to say it.

Predestination is well liked here, I'd think it would be higher but then again I suck at predicting placements on the countdowns.

Oh, I meant style points because they combined the two hints into a single movie.
That was pretty good.

I don't know what's popular here. My inclination would be to guess Parasite, Moonlight, Spotlight, and maybe 12 Years.
Leaving me at only four.

I greatly underestimate how popular some of these movies are with other people, so it'll probably end up being seven.

Congrats to everyone who voted for The Man From Nowhere! Not the type of film I usually watch. I seen it in an HoF and respected that it was well made and delivered the goods for fans of this type of film. I can see why people love it. Just not my jam. Here's what I wrote:

The Man from Nowhere
(2010)

Ajeossi (original title)
Director: Jeong-beom Lee

About
: A seemingly mild mannered pawnshop keeper has a run in with a gang of drug trafficking thugs, that are connected to an even more violent gang of human organ traffickers. To make matters worse the pawnshop keeper's friend, a small girl is captured by the bad guys.

Review: I first started watching this with the optional DVD English dubs. Big mistake!

With English dubs, the opening action scene, seemed comical. It reminded me of the early Spaghetti Westerns, with their flat and odd way of talking. It's very hard for a voice actor to capture the intensity of the real actor in the movie. The dubs felt like a bad pantomime. To make the effect worse, there were no accents at all! Ugh...

So after 8 minutes of this, I switched over to the original Korean language with English sub titles. I did that during the scene with the little girl and the pawnshop keeper as they eat at a table.

As soon as I switched it over to Korean, I warmed up to the characters, especially the little girl who was sympathetic. Anyway that was a good experiment between dubs vs subs.

If you love, non-stop action with an ultra-cool, mysterious Chinese James Bond type, you'll be in heaven. Especially if you like twists and turns at every corner with lots of fighting and martial arts!....Unfortunately that's everything I hate in a movie.

The movie is ultra violent with graphic scenes of torture, not my thing!
I did however like the bad guy who looked like Zulu from the original Star Trek (George Takei). He was the crazy one.

The Man From Nowhere was well made and looked great, but nothing that I liked personally. I did enjoy the first 30 minutes with the pawn keeper and the little girl.

After the pawn keeper cuts his hair, he lost some intensity. Still I think he was a good actor, but after the dance club scenes and endless twists and turns, I got burnt out. Sure I liked the revenge on the brother of the organ harvesting guy. The nail gun bit was actually good. But when he finally walks into confront the head guy and he's standing in a room with like 15 henchmen and it turns into a big old martial arts fight, I lost interest. But others would probably love that sort of thing.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Hereditary did not make my list, but it almost did.

Man From Nowhere is a film I still need to see.

Suspect's Reviews

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I have not seen either of these but seeing these reviews of Man From Nowhere have convinced me to give it a try. I doubt I'd like Hereditary.