The Dark Knight (possible spoilers)

→ in
Tools    

I never do this, but I actually went back and re-wrote a few paragraphs of my review of The Dark Knight. Wasn't quite happy with some of it. On with your regularly scheduled thread...
Ah man, you took out The Dark Knight is. I really liked that Chris. Oh well I suppose even Master Yoda is allowed to edit his reviews from time to time.

A system of cells interlinked
I thought the nurse uniform was done really well, and totally fit The Joker. I was just reading Identity Crisis last night, and The Joker is dressed as a woman in that series at one point, although I think it's just a flashback.

Yeah, I also loved the way he walked. He had a really awkward way of carrying himself across the street that I really enjoyed, and then of course he stops and has his moment of absolute comedy brilliance.

I understand that there are a good number of folks that can't or won't be able to laugh at that scene no matter what simply because he is blowing up a hospital... but man the scene is just electrifying and mesmerizing.

Ok, next question, of the two Scars monologues... which one rings the truest. I vote for the first one. I got the feeling that that may have been the closest anyone was ever going to get to seeing a little bit of his inner self and why he became the monster he became. What do you think?

Tough call. The first feels truer because, well, it's a lot more detailed than the others. But in retrospect, I think that's only because, at the time, we assume it's the truth. Only later do we learn that he'll say whatever pops into his head at that particular moment.

I'm gonna go with None of the Above. I don't think they'll do an origin story for this Joker (and thank goodness for that, most likely), but if they did I think they'd do something rather different from what's been hinted at. Just a guess, though.

In the Beginning...
I'm gonna go with None of the Above. I don't think they'll do an origin story for this Joker (and thank goodness for that, most likely), but if they did I think they'd do something rather different from what's been hinted at. Just a guess, though.
Yeah, I'm with you. While he seems a little more agitated by some painful memory when we recites the second one, I don't think either are factual. The idea was always to tease the audience with an explanation, but in reality characterize the Joker as daft and unpredictable. I don't think the truth is even relevant or needed. The characterization is more than enough.

But if I had to guess, I would say that any complicated explanation he could invent would be bogus, whereas the true reason is simple: he cut the scars himself, for no other reason than to quench some burning desire to destroy.

But if I had to guess, I would say that any complicated explanation he could invent would be bogus, whereas the true reason is simple: he cut the scars himself, for no other reason than to quench some burning desire to destroy.
I really like this idea. It fits with Batman's futile attempts to discern his motivations...to make sense of him. There's no single definitive childhood trauma that made him what he is.

Or, if there IS a specific trauma, he inflicted them himself in response to it. I like both ideas: the idea that there's no one thing which explains why he is the way he is, and the idea that the story behind the scars is not the CAUSE of his current state, but the RESULT of it.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
OK, been back a couple of hours, still contemplating the film, but my initial reaction was that its a very good film, but ultimately it didn't quite live upto my heightened expectations following all the hype.
There's not much wrong with the film, but I have to say that I'm a little underwhelmed by both endings of the two villan's character arcs.
Eckhart was great as Harvey Dent, but I didn't feel justice was done to Two Face as a character, personally I'd have liked the character to have been fleshed out ( no pun intended ) a bit more.
As for the Joker, Heath Ledger was fantastic, it is a great shame that he won't be able to reprise his role, I would definetly have loved to have seen his character developed more in a sequal.

Did anyone else notice Eric Roberts remarkable recovery after his run in with Batman, I know they tried to clear it up in a later scene, but he still seemed rather sprightly after his tumble.

Anyway, I'll maybe get round to writting a review i my thread once the dust has settled a bit, my head's still swimming at the moment.
( Possibly because I've been offered a 3rdAD job on another feature film right after I came out the cinema!!! )

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I thought the nurse uniform was done really well, and totally fit The Joker. I was just reading Identity Crisis last night,
That series had such a weak ending.

Suspect's Reviews

I've kept my mouth shut on this one as i really want to see it first. It's released in the UK tomorrow. I'm going in the morning and i've got a hot date to go with so im most pleased. I hope i enjoy it...

Just seen it, one word; WOW! Greatest comic book movie ever!

...uh the post is up there...

Ok then went to the cinema last night and saw the Batman film.

After all the hype and trying to not read any other reviews or watch any trailers I sat down hoping to be blown away by this film.

Let me say it did not disappoint.

The cast is amazing the acting is amazing and the story is fantastic even if it does slightly lose it's way through the film.

I agree that more could have been done with the two face character and it's a shame he won't be coming back but it was still well done.

The Joker is without a doubt one of the most evel villains ever and Heath Ledgers performance was outstanding. Not only has he taken the crown from Mr Nicholson he has taken it too the grave with him because really once you see this performance you wouldn't want anyone else having a crack at it. I know alot of people will be saying they said that about Nicholson and yeah he was good but I thought it could have been done better.

Well it has been and thats that. Ledger is scary , psychotic , funny and also sad and even genuine at times and you constantly find yourself asking yourself where is he going now and what is he going to do. Absolutely brilliant

Bale again puts in a stellar performance and again lets leave him with the Batman suit as we now have found the perfect wayne/batman combination.

the film blew me away as i said and now I am just waiting for the blu ray release date so i can pre-order it and also i am booking another cinema ticket to go back next week to watch it again.

10 out of 10 easy

Finally got to see it but definitely need to watch it again before coming to conclusive score. The main problem was where i was so hyped for it, i was thinking two steps ahead of everything that happened. I kept trying to place bits from the trailer into the film and was too busy thinking how they got from point (a) to the point (b) from the trailer.

Anyway, thoughts:

-I hated Heath Ledger since The Patriot and was irritated by him in the trailers for A Knights Tale but after Brokeback Mountain (still not seen it) i figured he was worth more than i originally thought. Saw Lords of Dogtown the other day as well, and while wasn't blown away by his performance i did like how he'd developed the role into something unlike what i'd seen of him before. Back to Dark Knight, he was spectacular which hopefully means a lot from someone who wasn't a fan. Oscar worthy? Not so sure, yes it was a powerful performance but there wasn't much emotional depth or range. As an eccentric and magnificently acted performance and totally embodied it's worth Supporting Actor nod at least.

-It was obvious they hadn't finished his scenes at certain points like Dent's party. After Batman saves Rachel, where does the Joker go? Wouldn't have been hard for Batman to wait at the exit for him

-Maroni walking again after having his legs shattered? Think not.

-Going to Japan was a bit of a distraction. Gotham is almost a character and i didn't think it was handled as well as Begins, just seemed like any other city in Dark Knight

-Gordon's "death" was pretty dumb, didn't believe that for a second

-Rachel's death however was a complete surprise but didn't feel a particular resonance (save for the excuse of Dent's transformation) and was never entirely convinced she was dead

-Two-Face was a beaut in the film and really liked how he was handled but his relationship with Rachel never seemed to be as important as results led me to believe

-All the kidnapping seemed a bit gah, here they are oh now they're kidnapped. Maybe second viewing will clear it up but seemed a bit uneven.

-All Alfred seem to do was chime in with quotes that are meant to summarise the themes, wasted character

-Lucius had a bit more worth but that 'moral dilemma' was a bit hokey.

-Liked how the end of Joker's arc almost echoed Nicholson until he's saved.

-Joker dressed as the nurse was easily my highlight and the point i fell in love with Ledger's performance

-The actions of the people on the boat was a bit contrived but was expecting something similar to the 'save Rachel or Harvey' twist and was pleased that didn't happen.

-The civilians dressed as a clowns bit was a bit reminiscent of another film, think it was Inside Man and another film that's really bugging me!!

-Save for Lucius and Alfred and those random cops, loved all the supporting cast and was surprised how good their roles were- Salvatore and Gordon particularly.

-The Scarecrow at the start suited me just fine, a great lead in to the film, though would have liked to see the effects his gas had on perceptions of the Joker

-The change to the batsuit with the projecting spike things made the scene with the Joker pretty transparent

-The third film i'm thinking will be Catwoman and/or Riddler. There's certainly room for the love interest and the buzz of the Riddler being in it

Final thoughts, some great performances and generally spectacular but some characters aren't given enough depth, although compensated by those who are. At times a bit uneven for several reasons but that may change when i see it again.

reservoir dogs circa 1881
Well the verdicts in and i have to say dark knight is one of this years best films so far and the sadly departed mr heather can consider his swansong[terry gilliam project not withstanding] a career defining turn.I have only two quibbles firstly i didnt like a certain characters look i dont think it fitted with the films realism hope you know who i mean and secondly i think this may have ruined tim burtons batman for me as the joker is now a completely different animal from the other genius joker ala mr nicolson.Lastly can anyone who has seen the film or is going to see it please watch out for a section containing bruce wayne in a lamborgini and tell me if thats a yellow bat insignia in the front wheel or were my eyes playing tricks

Well, just got back from the midnight showing. My review is in my thread, but I'll post it here as well, so people can discuss.

BTW- Loved The Watchmen trailer.

edit - currently number 4 on imdb top 250.

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Breaks Comic Book Adaptation Barriers

A new villain is in town and he's a homicidal clown known as The Joker. Batman must do everything in his power to stop him, while Harvey Dent takes the lime light as the new face of good.

Not since The Matrix Reloaded have I been hyped to see a film. Where Reloaded failed to deliver on that hype, The Dark Knight soars with bright colours. Is it everything that a Batman fan wants it to be? Yes. Is it everything a film lover wants it to be? Yes. The Dark Knight takes you on a ride through action, suspense, humour and drama. It rests in a genre that makes you suspend a little reality. This is the comic book world, where there are green monsters, flying men in tights and teenagers swinging around in New York. Very bright, very over the top and very fun. The Dark Knight turns all of this on it's head and delivers a raw, realistic and genre defining film. Along with Iron Man, The Dark Knight sets a new standard for comic book adaptations.

Without a doubt, every review the one will read will praise the chaotic energy that Heath Ledger gives in the role of The Joker. Can a role really live up to such hype? Yes, and this is it. Heath Ledger goes where many people do not. He becomes the character, he becomes the Joker. Nicholson played the part well, but Ledger embodies it. Every little quirk, from the flicker in the eyes, raising the eyebrows or using his tongue to wet his lips, draws you into the character. It's safe to say the Ledger does indeed steal the show from everyone and the film knows this too. It's a shame we will never see where Ledger career would have gone, because this role is juicy and Ledger nails it.

That's not to say that everyone else isn't good either. Bale brings more tragedy into the heart of both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Even with the world around him crumbling down, he still stands for good. Michael Cain reaches more depths with simple looks in his eyes. Both Alfred and Fox have moral dilemmas in this film, both play them well. Oldman has more screen time here then he did in Begins and he takes the character of Gordon to new heights. We know him as a good cop that doesn't conform to the corruption, but here his range explodes into more emotional decision making. Aaron Eckhart has the most troubling task here. He must play two completely different roles, within the same character, and we have to believe the transformation. His anger and hate mixes well with his confusion in what to do after his 'accident'. Finally Gyllenhaal, replaces Holmes. The character finally has some more range, but Gyllenhaal doesn't get enough screen time to bring it to us. Again, it's sad to say but this is the weakest link. It may just simply be the character.

Everything about this film hits the nail on the head. The acting is top notch, no longer are roles in comic book films cheesy or one dimensional. These character are psychotic, dangerous, funny, defenseless and everything more you can ask for. Back when these characters could never be taken seriously, now are awing us with their presence. The script is fabulous. Every line of dialogue spoken by The Joker is chilling, now times that by ten because Ledger somehow gives the lines more chills. The action sequences are entertaining. We have car chases, fight scenes, race against the clock bits and anything else The Joker can come up with. With ever scheme he tops himself in the absurdity and craziness. More action then it's predecessor, more drama, more villainous and more dark. This isn't your Adam West Batman. This is Nolan's Batman.

Nolan has recreated what once was lost. When nipples and bad ice puns were where these characters were, now are set back in the right motion. Nolan has given us, not only the best Batman movie, but the best comic book movie. You don't need high theatrics to create a great comic book film, you need substance. The Dark Knight has boatloads of this. I found myself wanting more of the Joker, I was so enthralled by the character and the performance. I found myself in awe of where the film goes, in terms of plot and character development. I applaud Nolan for not making a happy go lucky film, but for given The Dark Knight his true colours. He's a tormented soul, the events in this film push him to the limit, to his breaking point.

There are some minor setbacks though. I wasn't too thrilled with the bits in Hong Kong. Trims here and there could have saved the running time, which clocks in at 2 hours and 30 some odd minutes. As well as too many scene where the camera decides to spin around the characters a couple times, it gets a tad annoying.

The Dark Knight will break barriers. Comic book films will be more serious, more character and plot driven then CGI laden. Heath Ledger will earn an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of a sick and twisted clown. People will want to see what happens in this world and the people in it. The Dark Knight does create a new world, a world of fear and excitement. Where in some cases you kind of secretly want to root for the bad guy. This is a world I applaud, this is a film that I applaud. This is a perfect example of what a film should be.

I do agree with most of your summation of the film, it truly is one of the best comic book films ever made. However I do have one or two little queries..
You mention how the camera revolves around the characters in certain scenes and how you find it to be a little annoying. I have to disagree, I find it to be highly appropriate, especially in the scene where the joker confronts Bruce Wane's former lover Rachel, as it adds to the heightened sense of tension the scene. Also you mention that the film is humorous...How exactly? In my opinon the film repersents a city and people terrorised. It is a place devoid of any humour where the people's only hope is an enigmatic vigilante who they don't quite understand.
Apart from that terrific review!

I don't think I'd be able to watch it. It looks like a nasty film.
(Don't rate that thumbs down, it's my opinion)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'll have to watch the film again to spot how many times they did this, but I'm pretty sure it was three. Did they really have to do it for Bruce and Alfred in the basement? They did it before then to, someone can probably remember.

Mr. Reese trying to blackmail batman.

"You complete me"

I found many funny bits in the film. Alfred and Bruce about the dogs, The joker I found to be not only evil, but funny. People have mentioned the late explosion scene.

Bruce sleeping during board meeting.

It's not a comedy in anyway, but it did have humours moments.

It's not a comedy in anyway, but it did have humours moments.
I laughed many times.

On another note: I felt my self metophorically salivating for Heath every time the Joker was mentioned but yet not on the screen. What an excellent film...comic book rendition or otherwise.

Ya i suppose humorous was a good way of describing it. I think its also worth mentioning what a bleak vision the film has