Richard Widmark died

Tools    

Richard Widmark died Mar. 24.

Survivors include Tommy Udo, Harry Fabian, Lt. Cmdr. "Clint" Reed M.D., Skip McCoy, Alec Stiles, Jed Towers, Stewart McIver, Capt. Eric Finlander, Michael Reynolds, Col. William Edwards, Col. Tad Lawson, “Comanche” Todd, Mike King, Capt. Thomas Archer, Det. Daniel Madigan, Mr. Ratchett, “Dude,” Ray Biddle, Lt. Carl A. Anderson, Chief Boatswain's Mate Sam McHale, Sgt. Thorne Ryan, Johnny Gannon, Lt. Jim Gary, Col. Glenn Stevenson, and other great roles in the more than 60 films he made.

A system of cells interlinked
A sad event, indeed, although he was 93, and clearly lead a full and rewarding life. Tommy Udo is one of my favorite roles of his, and I will have to pop that film in and watch it in memory of this wonderful character actor.

RIP R. Widmark

Put me in your pocket...
Rest in peace Mr. Widmark.

If anyone is interested and has the Turner Classic Movie channel, they are having a tribute to him on Friday, April 4th. They'll be showing...

Alvarez Kelly...8:00 pm
Take the High Ground...10:00 pm
The Tunnel of Love...12:00 am

Him, and all those actors of that era always remind me of happy Sunday afternoons when I was a kid spent watching B&W films on the telly with my dad.

RIP Mr Widmark

A sad event, indeed, although he was 93, and clearly lead a full and rewarding life. Tommy Udo is one of my favorite roles of his, and I will have to pop that film in and watch it in memory of this wonderful character actor.

RIP R. Widmark
I always wondered how Widmark felt about the fact that his very first movie role gave both the character for which he is most remembered and his only Oscar nomination. He was in many other films--including several with his good friend Sidney Poitier--but none of his other roles were as memorable as Tommy Udo.

A system of cells interlinked
Just an absolutely chilling villain, I can't take my eyes off of him when I watch that film. He was RUTHLESS. One of the more memorable baddies in film, IMO. Up there with Harry Lime.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've been having a hard time with this one. I wanted to start a thread when I heard it on the radio yesterday at lunchtime, but I was tongue (or is it type?)-tied. I've been paying attention lately to all the big names of yesteryear who are still with us and in their 90s, and Widmark was one of the few males. R.I.P.

When I think of Richard Widmark, I usually think of Westerns with a capital W, but I also recall his film noirs, and also The Bedford Incident and Judgment at Nuremberg. I also just recently rewatched Murder on the Orient Express, and he's able to convey a lot about his character in his brief scenes.

For those too young to know what the fuss is about, I have the famous scene from Kiss of Death (1947) here. I don't know what the problem is with the slowed-down visuals, but I'm sure you'll get the gist of it.

I've been having a hard time with this one. I wanted to start a thread when I heard it on the radio yesterday at lunchtime, but I was tongue (or is it type?)-tied. I've been paying attention lately to all the big names of yesteryear who are still with us and in their 90s, and Widmark was one of the few males. R.I.P.

When I think of Richard Widmark, I usually think of Westerns with a capital W, but I also recall his film noirs, and also The Bedford Incident and Judgment at Nuremberg. I also just recently rewatched Murder on the Orient Express, and he's able to convey a lot about his character in his brief scenes.

For those too young to know what the fuss is about, I have the famous scene from Kiss of Death (1947) here. I don't know what the problem is with the slowed-down visuals, but I'm sure you'll get the gist of it.

Odd coincidence--Ijustr read that Abby Mann, who wrote both the television and movie scripts for Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) died Mar. 25, the day after Richard Widmark who was among the many stars who appeared in that film. Other movie scripts by Mann:
A Child Is Waiting (1963),
Ship of Fools (1965)
The Detectives, 1968
Report to the Commissioner, 1975
War and Love, 1985

Mann mostly wrote for TV including the 1973 script for The Marcus-Nelson Murders that spun off the Kojak TV series, which Mann disliked.

I watched Panic In The Streets for film class the other week and loved his performance. I heard that Javier Bardem studied his acting technique for his role in No Country For Old Men. A truly talented actor.

I am half agony, half hope.

In Tribute to actor Richard Widmark, who died Monday morning, March 24th, at age 93, TCM is changing its evening programming on Friday, April 4th to honor the actor with a 3-movie salute.

8:00 pm ALVAREZ KELLY
10:00 pm TAKE THE HIGH GROUND
12:00 am THE TUNNEL OF LOVE

Johann von Goethe

In Tribute to actor Richard Widmark, who died Monday morning, March 24th, at age 93, TCM is changing its evening programming on Friday, April 4th to honor the actor with a 3-movie salute.

8:00 pm ALVAREZ KELLY
10:00 pm TAKE THE HIGH GROUND
12:00 am THE TUNNEL OF LOVE
Don't know about you, but I couldn't help but wish they had shown some of his better films. I never thought much of Alvarez Kelly as either a Western or a Civil War film and Holden had the starring role. Take the High Ground with Widmark playing an Army drill instructor pales in comparision with Jack Webb's The DI. Tunnel of Love was a light, romantic film that has been nearly forgotten because it was so light and syrupy. Wish they had shown some of his really good films like Kiss of Death (Victor Mature stars but Widmark steals the show in his first role), Panic in the Streets, Halls of Montezuma, No Way Out, Don't Bother to Knock, or even ensemble pieces like Broken Lance or Warlock. Personally I'd love to see one of my childhood favorites, Destination Gobi.

Rip

RIP, he was great

I meant to post this when it was e-mailed to me a few weeks ago, but there were some nice words about Widmark in the newsletter update I received from The Film Noir Foundation. The e-mail read...

Dear Film Noir Fans,

Our latest update must begin on a sad note, as we observe the passing of two men important to the legacy of film noir.

The first is Richard Widmark, who died last month after 93 years of wonderful accomplishments. Coincidentally, we concluded the recent NOIR CITY 6 festival in San Francisco with a Widmark double bill entitled "Last Man Standing." Although he went on to enjoy a long, versatile career in movies, noir fans will always cherish the fresh and dangerous vitality he brought to the screen in his first few film roles, most of them now considered classic noir: Kiss of Death, Street with No Name, Road House, No Way Out, Panic in the Streets and perhaps his two most iconic performances as Harry Fabian in Night and the City and Skip McCoy in Pickup on South Street.

Widmark was one of those actors whose emergence heralded something entirely new in the movies, something emblematic of noir but distilled into one performer--the guilty thrill of finding "badness" both sexy and sinister. Widmark allowed audiences to delight in his villainy, and American movies grew up a bit when he showed that a character could be simultaneously attractive and repulsive. That dichotomy was, and remains, an essential aspect of noir's allure. We appreciated writer Kim Morgan's tribute to him.

In real life Widmark was generally recognized as one of the "good guys" who plied his trade with dignity and professionalism and never got one drop of show-business sleaze on him in more than five decades of exemplary work.

As sorry as we are to see him go, it's impossible to feel sad. Widmark got his full ration of years and used them wisely. You can't ask for a better role model--as an actor or as a man.

Incredibly, as I was typing these words, news came of the death of filmmaker Jules Dassin, 96, the man who directed Widmark in Night and the City, and was one of the last surviving architects of the original film noir movement. It is remarkable to note that the first obituary to appear, from the Associated Press out of Athens (where Dassin had lived for decades), described him as "a film noir master who sought exile in Europe after being named during the anti-communist witch-hunts of the 1950s." With Brute Force, Naked City, Thieves' Highway and Night and the City to his credit, not to mention the great Rififi, it's hard to argue with that assessment. And like Widmark, Dassin enjoyed a full run, with good health well into the last months.

Darkly,

Eddie Muller
Founder and President
The Film Noir Foundation

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For anybody who is a fan of the late, great Widmark or wants to see a bunch of his movies, this Monday (August 11th) Turner Classic Movies is running films starring Richard all day long.

• 6:00AM
    The Long Ships (1964)
  • 8:30AM
    The Law & Jake Wade (1958)
  • 10:00AM
    The Cobweb (1955)
  • 12:30PM
    A Prize of Gold (1955)
  • 2:30PM
    Time Limit (1957)
  • 4:30PM
    Run for the Sun (1956)