Best Picture Oscar 2019

Tools    

Which gets your vote for Best Picture of the year?
4.65%
2 votes
BLACK PANTHER
6.98%
3 votes
BLACKkKLANSMAN
4.65%
2 votes
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
25.58%
11 votes
THE FAVOURITE
13.95%
6 votes
GREEN BOOK
25.58%
11 votes
ROMA
18.60%
8 votes
A STAR IS BORN
0%
0 votes
VICE
43 votes. You may not vote on this poll

really? I liked that!
I thought it abominable. Used once, I wouldn't mind. It was used far too many times, and it marred the finished product. For me, anyway.

Otherwise, great movie!

Haven't seen The Favourite yet, but I plan to. I hope it's really as good as people are making it out to be.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Haven't seen The Favourite yet, but I plan to. I hope it's really as good as people are making it out to be.
Saw The Favourite a couple of days ago...it was amazing...I rated it

Finally finished Roma last night. I had to split into two nights, because I found the first half to be rather unspectacular. The second half certainly brought everything together well. I suppose I'm not quite learned enough to appreciate it for what it fully stands for, but it was still good.

This category has become the most confusing of all. There is no clear winner at this point. Green Book, The Favourite, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Black Panther are all possible winners. Personally, I believe A Star is Born should win it. A romantic drama with the best soundtrack to have ever been released in a long long time, and a film that was an overnight sensation and a huge worldwide box office hit.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
What is considered as smash these days?

The last Best Picture winner to earn over $100M was Argo in 2012

The last film to REALLY smash the box office was Return of the King with over $300M in 2003.

King's Speech
Slumdog Millionaire
The Departed
Million Dollar Baby all earned over $100M

From 1997 to 2004, all movies that won earned over $100M, that trend was broken when Crash won in '05.

The lowest one in recent years? The Hurt Locker with $17M.

Suspect's Reviews

Not that I'm saying that movies that do not smash the box office are not great films or worthy of winning Best Picture, but it would make sense when a film that was received very well by audiences everywhere, that everybody went out to see because it was a great film, and ended up smashing the box office would win Best Picture. In my estimation, A Star is Born is one of those movies. No, I don't believe Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody, the other two box office smashes on the list, are worthy of the Best Picture prize. A Star is Born deserves it for the reasons I've stated in my previous post, including the fact that it was watched and adored by so many people around the world which translated into the huge worldwide gross it accumulated.

Let's be honest here, Black Panther only got a nomination to satisfy the Tumblr crowd. It's nothing special.
Infinity War, though way better than BP, doesn't deserve the nomination either.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Don't know if there is a thread about it, but I think this is the worst best picture nominations year for me..
2012 and 2013 weren't great.

Anybody know off hand what the less popular Oscars that are given at commercial breaks are?
Probably the technical stuff like sound mixing/editing, visual effects, production design etc.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Probably the technical stuff like sound mixing/editing, visual effects, production design etc.
Production design or art director is vastly important to film making, so's editing. Is editing a commercial break award? I hope not.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if they skipped over Production or Art Directing. Definitely not Editing.

The Sound categories are definitely my vote as the most likely. Maybe Documentary Short.