The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Is that the same as the GeForce Experience that installed from the disk that came with the card? It said something about "Gamer Ready" settings or something but I wasn't paying much attention at the time.

Meanwhile, I'm going into some of my Steam games and upping all the video settings and taking a peek. Some games I had completely given up on because they played so badly (or not at all). Fun!

The People's Republic of Clogher
Yep, sorry. It's GeForce Experience.

Just set it to scan for games (you can make it choose specific folders in the prefs section) and it'll show you your existing settings and what it recommends side by side. One click can optimise them or revert back. The program is also handy for driver updates, especially since Nvidia say they're phasing out browser downloads for every driver revision.

To update your drivers through Experience select custom install, then clean install.

It found three games on its own -- only one in Steam ("Don't Starve"). Also Guild Wars 2 (which I just updated so I could run around and see how pretty it is now) and The Sims 3.

Oh, and I installed Ethan Carter Redux and started from scratch in that version of the game -- highest settings all around. WOW, it's gorgeous! The sunlight coming through the trees is stunning.

My Street Fighter V experience so far?

An utter shambles.

I knew before buying that a lot of the game's content was in the pipeline for release in a few months time so the bare-bones single player experience right now doesn't bother me. What better way to git gud than to square off against human competition, right?

Not when the servers are as trashy as this, and remember that the game has been in Beta for ages to test online play...

Got disconnected this morning about 5 minutes into my session and haven't been able to log in since. I'm not alone.

Add to that, players with d-input (basically, PS3 and PS4) fight sticks finding that their expensive hardware isn't supported - The game's a PS4 console exclusive, by the way, and I've not seen a recent big budget release not supporting d-input Playstation hardware on PC. I'm lucky that my stick is x-input and d-input compatible.

Lucky in the sense that I'd be able to play the game ... if I were in fact able to play the game.

The 15 minutes I was able to squeeze in last night were great!

EDIT - I'm finally in!

Ha ha, Taccy! No wonder I kept seeing a Steam pop-up telling me you were playing that game -- over and over again throughout the afternoon here. You were getting bumped? Sorry to hear it!

Heh, yeah. Sorry.

You can turn notifications off in Settings>Friends. I do for when they start a game, but leave notifications on for when they come online.

Nah, I don't mind. If it gets annoying, I'll turn it off. It just struck me as humorous... until I read here that it was really happening. Sorry!

Apparently East coast USA getting home from work crashed the servers again. You'd think that Capcom would have been expecting the most famous fighting game franchise of them all's first brand new release in seven years to be popular?

To me, it says they're running the entire operation on a shoestring. The game would never have been made were it not for Sony stepping in, giving Capcom a huge wad of notes and demanding console exclusivity. The Japanese games industry is not doing well right now...

Talking of fallen Japanese gaming giants, Sega are celebrating something-or-other by giving away loads of games on Steam! First off are Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe and Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit. Link

Streets of Rage II, alongside others, is coming soon so keep an eye out. These offers are timed so grab them now if you're at all interested.

Streets of Rage II is one of the best games ever made, by the way.

No problem.

Street Fighter V might be dividing the fans but it's managed to crash the leading arcade parts store in the UK. I was on there yesterday buying Sanwa buttons for a stick I'm finally going to build and found the site really slow, with loads of 502 errors. I eventually got my order in and visited the site this morning to check progress.

They've had to close the store because of Street Fighter V's release

I can't even check my account. Grrr.

Just bought The Witness. Loving it so far... although I've got only 86 minutes in at this point. I'm angsting over a series of puzzles that seemed straightforward (bisecting black and white dots), until the last of the series came up and that's apparently the wrong solution.

Gahhh... Must. Not. Ask. For Solution. ANYWHERE.

Yeah, it's almost always worth sticking it out. The puzzles are well-designed enough that you can pretty safely conclude that the solution isn't going to be some arcane, unguessable nonsense. That said, if you find a new concept or end up really banging your head against the wall long enough, you may just have to walk away and come back, both a) because you might be taught a related concept elsewhere and b) because that's always the best way to clear the mind for another try, anyway!

Glad you like it so far. It's really something.

Seems Microsoft is planning to release some big upcoming Xbox One exclusive games for PC starting from Forza Motorsport 6, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4 and Scalebound.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/forza-...10-exclusives/

Yeah, it's almost always worth sticking it out. The puzzles are well-designed enough that you can pretty safely conclude that the solution isn't going to be some arcane, unguessable nonsense. That said, if you find a new concept or end up really banging your head against the wall long enough, you may just have to walk away and come back, both a) because you might be taught a related concept elsewhere and b) because that's always the best way to clear the mind for another try, anyway!

Glad you like it so far. It's really something.
I ran a few errands just to step away. And I did explore elsewhere for a while. I'll only get frustrated now if I feel like I've done everything I can and NEED to finish that puzzle in order to move forward.

I'm already noticing that my past experience with Myst games has come in handy. I went exploring just to see the pretty sights and stumbled on something I know I'll need later but can't do anything with right now. Had to pat myself on the back a little bit.

The only down side is that, every time I finish a puzzle, I automatically think some door somewhere three worlds away just opened. LOL

I ran a few errands just to step away. And I did explore elsewhere for a while. I'll only get frustrated now if I feel like I've done everything I can and NEED to finish that puzzle in order to move forward.
Yeah, that won't happen until you've done a lot of puzzles all over the world. You can beat the game by completing a fraction of the total puzzles, and even completely ignoring some of the areas (though you'll benefit a lot from learning the concepts in most areas, even if you don't finish that area).

It definitely doesn't do anything cheap or goofy like unlocking something far away. In fact, if you're not sure what something did, check the panel for any wires that may have lit up, which you may be able to trace to the next puzzle or door. If there's nothing like that, then it was probably just teaching you a new concept.

Yeah, that won't happen until you've done a lot of puzzles all over the world. You can beat the game by completing a fraction of the total puzzles, and even completely ignoring some of the areas (though you'll benefit a lot from learning the concepts in most areas, even if you don't finish that area).

It definitely doesn't do anything cheap or goofy like unlocking something far away. In fact, if you're not sure what something did, check the panel for any wires that may have lit up, which you may be able to trace to the next puzzle or door. If there's nothing like that, then it was probably just teaching you a new concept.
Just spent the past few hours going everywhere. And I randomly found some very cool things that will get my mind racing trying to piece together the bits.

For instance (this might be *really* spoilery in spots, so read at your own risk -- then again, I'm only at the beginning, it seems, so maybe I'm being overly cautious. Whatever!)...

WARNING: "The Witness specifics/spoilers" spoilers below
I FOUND A BOAT! So, naturally, in good Myst and/or Minecraft fashion, I sailed around the entire island to take a look. Learned a LOT and will have fun using the boat from now on.

Also, I got off at the dock with the stepping stones and then HAD to climb/explore up to the summit. Didn't realize at one point that I was standing on a huge statue's HEAD till I saw the arm. Then kept climbing, got to the very top, did a few things, and listened to a long speech by an astronaut that felt like an end-game speech to me. Whatever! While climbing down, I encountered another spot with a speech from Einstein.

I went back to trying to solve some of the series puzzles in the area and always seem to get stuck on the last one, thinking I have made the right connections but then wondering at the end if I was lucky on the first three and don't have the gist of that series yet.

This game is GREAT fun... and once I saw how big the island was, I realized it is going to keep me busy for a long time.

The Witness has a pretty good art team.

Tilt your head to the left.
Hey, I'm way early in the game, I think, and this picture was kinda spoilery. Same with a bunch of posts from several others talking about what's spoilery about this picture. Wish there had been spoiler tags on those posts.

Boo.

Does anybody here have any experience with Game Fly? If so, would you recommend it?
I think Yoda's brother was a subscriber for a bunch of years and enjoyed it. Not sure if he still is. My thought was that it's great for certain types of gamers... maybe those who fly through games back to back and don't necessarily need to *own* them all along the way...?