POLL: Gladiator versus The Patriot

Tools    

Gladiator... obviously...

Where's the poll?

A system of cells interlinked
Eleven year old thread...

Poll is LONG closed at this point, if they ever actually ran an official site poll. It's well before my time on the site, so I can't comment on that. He may have just called it a poll and asked folks to reply at the time.

Also - Not sure why you think Gladiator should be the "obvious" choice, because it most certainly is not.

Holy ***** you're right, this thread is 11 years old!

I say obviously, because Gladiator rocks and The Patriot sucks... obviously. Just kidding.

Gladiator! the Patriot was nonsense. Racist Gibson English bashing again!!!!

Semper Fooey
I don't think the neg was deserved. It may not be technically racist, but a lot of people from the UK think, correctly or not, that Gibson dislikes English people based on Braveheart and The Patriot. The British were not evil incarnate as depicted by Gibson in The Patriot.

The fictional ones that killed his son were pretty evil.

Gladiator.

My vote goes toThe Patriot. I really love this movie .

If it is simply between Crowe and Gibson, I would have to choose The Patriot; there is nothing like a good Mel freak out--in his movies that is.

It's pretty close overall...Gladiator's ending was the one major detractor for me - just seemed unrealistic, and without it, a poll like this would be a cinch.
Holy crap Yoda! That ending was powerful on so many levels!

Spoilers stop reading - better yet see Gladiotor NOW!!!

When Crowe is fight Phoenix and is bleeding out his death seemed certain, the death visages were surely hollywood, but to Ridley Scotts credit it was damn good hollywood. The ending to Gladiator was hollywood storytelling magic at its finest. If they took the supposed unrealism out of it...then instead Maximus wouldve fought Commodus looking like he was gonna die at any moment then viola' he suddenly kills him. Lucilla comes out says Maximus was a hero, and The End. Imo it wouldve come across as flat, and extremely unsatisfying.

An epic like this one demanded true resolution. Maximus yearned to be with his family when on the roman campaigns, years of warfare, fled across nations to rescue them wounded, and found them just hours too late. His vengeance kept him alive thru the arenas, his humanity sustained by not killing Commodus when given the 1st opportunity (presence of Lucillas son stayed his hand), and the showing of him actually joining his family was more the focal point of the film moreso than the roman power structure.

Im a jadded moviegoer thats seen thousands upon thousands of flicks. I wept at the end of Gladiator, and am glad I did.

Oh, and I liked Gladiator more than The Patriot.

Ooh, tough choice. Good choice for comparison though, both so alike in themes. The retired war hero loses family or family member and seeks revenge.

Gladiator was epic and brilliant but Patriot just tugged at my heart and soul, I really felt Mel's pain, losing his son then the other one, just tragic.

I vote Patriot I think, just because I loved Mel's brutal yet sensetive performance, love Heath Ledger and love to hate Jason Issacs (He's such a great villian!)