POLL: Gladiator versus The Patriot

Tools    

Didn't see it.
OK. It's Russell Crowe versus Mel Gibson. Which of these Y2K epics did you like better?

Didn't see it.
Check out the official sites:

Gladiator
The Patriot

There will be a chat with Mel Gibson on Tuesday, October 24th at 9:30pET/6:30pPT on Yahoo! That's the day "The Patriot" gets released on DVD.

Nice poll, James!

I voted for Gladiator. The Patriot was good, but I saw more ways in which it could have been better than I did with Gladiator. Expectation is part of how I measure a film's quality.

It's pretty close overall...Gladiator's ending was the one major detractor for me - just seemed unrealistic, and without it, a poll like this would be a cinch.

Didn't see it.
I just watched "Gladiator" again in my hotel room. I'll have to say that I still like "The Patriot" better. Both had great action. But The Patriot had more conflict.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
voted for the gladiator.

crowe just has WAY more intensity in all and every one of his characters. he's just that type of man. forget how he is in real life .

gibson is always great as the little underdog who bites and gruffs his way to the top but it's always overcharged, like someone bellowing when they could use a little finesse. I can't explain it ... well, maybe I can. Intensity can be manipulated and protrayed in a multitude of ways and while crowe made more use of it in the film (though he's not exactly a genius and certainly has more growing to do), gibson has a limited scope. He may be great at yelling in horror and looking worn and troubled, but sometimes brass isn't all that's required to make a great epic. plus, gibson's just recovering what he did in Braveheart, complication and all.
______
Thoughts on a goober: Hurling oneself at a movie screen is the peak of a chocolate covered candy's existence.

You read my mind: although he deserves credit for the transition, he's just doing Braveheart all over again...

...guy is happy and peaceful, guy co-exists with bad guys. Bad guys mess with guy's family, guy beats the crap out of bad guys, while extracing personal revenge on one inparticular bad guy at some point.

Both were good, but I think Braveheart was better. Why? Because while things a bit similar to the story of "The Patriot" are likely to have happened at some point, Braveheart is a true story and surprisingly historically accurate. I'm a big Wallace fan, anyway.

Not all of Braveheart was accurate, though. They messed with the truth to make it more cinamatically entertaining.

In the film, Wallace sleeps with the French Princess. In real life she was only about 12 or 13 and never shared a relationship with him. They made changes like that to add to the entertainment value of the story.

Regardless....it's still my favorite movie.

Didn't get a chance to check out The Patriot. I hear it's fabulous (except for the ending).

The ending in "The Patriot" isn't really bad - there are some things along the way you may not like in terms of the storyline, but the ending isn't bizzare and upsetting really.

As for Braveheart: good point...but, for me, the most important part is the fact that his wife was killed, and he really did go through those grusome things. He's probably my hero - if I had to choose one man.

I'm going to have to agree with that. The whole man and his story (some myth or not) is too appetizing for me to resist. He is one of my heroes as well.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I voted for Gladiator, although I thought it was really boring at times, I really didn't like the Patriot. Plus the action in Gladiator was SO much better. "On my signal, unleash hell." That is such a F'in cool line and the character fit it so well. But while your talking about historic inaccuracy. I noticed two in Gladiator. The first being that during the fit scene he turned his thumb up to let him live, and his thumb down to kill him. Whereas in the old gladiator days a thumbs up ment to hit them in the neck, killing them, and a tumbs down ment to hit them in the knees, letting them live. Also the fact that the Queen type lady was wearing a bra. I know that in the old days such clothing was available, but I seriously doubt one with wire support was. All in all Gladiator was better, but mainly because Maximus is damn cool and the action was awesome.

So you took notice of whether or not she was wearing a bra? Interesting point on the thumbs up/thumbs down thing...you sure it was always that way?

If you ask me, the biggest hole is the ending - it just flat out would not happen...EVER! Obviously it was supposed to be realistic fiction, but that part ruined it a bit. Could have been better.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Hey im 15, I noticed the bra. But yea I'm sure about the thumbs thing, I know like 5 people who all take Latin who told me thats how it was, so they all can't be wrong. The ending was ok, I dont even really remember it.

Wow, 7-1 now in Gladiator's favor...

Something interesting: Peter (OG-) says he doesn't really remember the ending much...oddly enough, I feel the same way. I remember it really, but when I think of the movie I basically NEVER think of the ending...I do think of the ending when someone mentions The Patriot or Braveheart, though.

I think it's because Gladiator's ending was sort of boring and just wasn't what most people came for - they came for the incredible architecture (both real, and computer generated), and the amazing fight scenes.

"Gladiator" is by far the better movie, although I found tthe ending a bit too mawkish.

Hi,

Glaiator wins hands down in my opinion.

Didn't see it.
"Braveheart" is on HBO right now, and I bought "The Patriot" on DVD today, so I'll give you my updated opinion later this week.

gladiator wins

Semper Fooey
I'm going to start a poll, Mary Poppins Vs. The Terminator.