Dune: Part Two 2023 (Denis Villeneuve)

Tools    

I'm glad to see DV acknowledging the influence of LoA - it wasn't just by coincidence that memories of Lean's masterpiece kept popping up in my mind during and after DP2.

What really hadn't occurred to me until I read this is the influence that Lean's movie had on Herbert.

Did Frank Herbert ever publicly comment about watching LoA?
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...45#post2358245

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Initial thoughts:

1. I'd forgotten just how much Star Wars borrowed from Dune

2. Like the previous installment, looks great, the design of the locations and transport are incredible.

3. Is this the most Hans Zimmer Hans Zimmer has ever been?

4. Paul's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

5. It's been a long time since I read the book but I feel like there were things/people missing - is Jessica pregnant for two years or is the whole war/uprising done and dusted in just a few months?

6. Is there going to be a part 3?

7. I did not recognise Austin Butler.

Performances rated:

Seydoux, kangaroo mouse (Muad'Dib)

Zendaya

Bardem, Butler (unexpected)
+

Chalamet, Ferguson

Brolin, Skarsgård, Rampling

Pugh, Bautista, Walken

I would gladly watch a Muad'Dib spin-off show...

A system of cells interlinked
Tickets in hand for the Sunday afternoon showing at the massive DLX theater. Yes, I am tempering my expectations, as I still think this material can't be fully adapted to screen without making lots of concessions. It's too layered, too complex, and has too many subtle aspects that frankly could never be conveyed properly in even three feature films.

Even though I consider the first film to be one of the best science fiction films of the last decade, I couldn't give it a perfect rating due to a couple of the choices that most likely had to be made, but still detracted from the film. I normally dislike exposition, but Dune almost requires a certain amount of background information to properly establish the world. Both Lynch and Villeneuve used a similar method to convey some of the set-up for the universe, having Paul study some educational materials that helped fill in some of the details. This is clunky but I think it worked well in conveying the information. The extended edition of the 1984 version famously tacked on a bunch of storyboards at the beginning of the film; that version easily conveys the largest amount of exposition, but ends up being terrible cinema, so I avoid it completely.

Lynch takes it further in using a voice-over to illustrate what people are thinking, but this rarely works without coming across like a cop out or just being straight up bad. Villenueve, probably at great pain to himself, either didn't write much exposition in, or just cut most of it out eventually. On paper, this is better cinema, but some of the ideas, such as the function of the mentats or the nature of the Guild, especially how they fit into the political scheming and manipulation, will be extremely difficult to convey in purely cinematic terms. He minimized the mentats in the first film, and I expect the same treatment for the Guild in the second half. I've read the books, so it tends to still click into place for me, but after coming out of the cinema in 2021, my friends who hadn't read the books had quite a few questions.

As I type this, I think the odds of this all getting pulled together properly in the second film are pretty long. My hopes are that Villeneuve is able to create an engaging piece of cinema out of the material he was able to adapt, and it will be up to me to temper my expectation in regards to the complex details of the story just not all being present.

Anyway, enough prattling for now. I will report back in after seeing the film on Sunday!

Two questions for those who've watched:
  • Did you catch the obvious David Lynch homage, and if so, did you think it was hilarious?
  • Am I missing something (probably explained in the novels), or is this the biggest plot hole ever:

WARNING: "Dune Part 2 spoilers" spoilers below
Ok, so we learn in Part Two that the House of Atreides has nuclear weapons. Wow. Really? And they just bring it up NOW? Like, seriously. How on Earth did they not have those atomic weapons ready to go in the event of, oh, I don't know... something like a massive sneak attack? Like maybe a Harkkanen surprise decapitation strike?

I mean, to me, the real-life equivalent would be something like the US having nuclear weapons available but not being prepared to immediately launch a counter-strike if anybody launched their weapons at us. 'Oh, it just didn't occur to us that ANYONE would attack us, so we just had the nukes on storage, where we couldn't just launch them on a moment's notice if anyone tried to take us out'.

And the weapons were right THERE on Arrakis, it's not like they had the excuse of having left them behind on their home planet. Seriously?

OK, like I said, there may be something in the novels that explains this in a way that doesn't make the whole thing seem like one of the worst plot holes ever in a movie.

^ There's a plot hole in yo plot hole discovery. I'd have to re-watch pt.1 to be sure, but my watchlist is over 4000 so I don't have the time to do that anytime soon.

^ There's a plot hole in yo plot hole discovery. I'd have to re-watch pt.1 to be sure, but my watchlist is over 4000 so I don't have the time to do that anytime soon.
I dunno about that. I rewatched Dune Part 1 before and after DP2. It still doesn't seem to add up.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Two questions for those who've watched:
  • Did you catch the obvious David Lynch homage, and if so, did you think it was hilarious?
  • Am I missing something (probably explained in the novels), or is this the biggest plot hole ever:

WARNING: "Dune Part 2 spoilers" spoilers below
Ok, so we learn in Part Two that the House of Atreides has nuclear weapons. Wow. Really? And they just bring it up NOW? Like, seriously. How on Earth did they not have those atomic weapons ready to go in the event of, oh, I don't know... something like a massive sneak attack? Like maybe a Harkkanen surprise decapitation strike?

I mean, to me, the real-life equivalent would be something like the US having nuclear weapons available but not being prepared to immediately launch a counter-strike if anybody launched their weapons at us. 'Oh, it just didn't occur to us that ANYONE would attack us, so we just had the nukes on storage, where we couldn't just launch them on a moment's notice if anyone tried to take us out'.

And the weapons were right THERE on Arrakis, it's not like they had the excuse of having left them behind on their home planet. Seriously?

OK, like I said, there may be something in the novels that explains this in a way that doesn't make the whole thing seem like one of the worst plot holes ever in a movie.

First, they weren't on Earth.
(that was a joke, btw)

Second in spoilers because I have no idea if any of this is a spoiler as I've yet to see p2. I do like spoiler tags though.

WARNING: "stuffs." spoilers below
In your real-life equivalent modelling the Harkonnen attack against the Atreides on Arrakis, I'd take that a step farther. If I'm reading you right, a foreign aggressor attacks N.Y. City (or whatever populated equivalent in your region/country), so then use nukes on N.Y. City (or whatever populated equivalent in your region/country). Seems to me that there's a gap between those two steps.

In all seriousness though, for all that I've seen and read, DV seems to have thoroughly studied the source material. I doubt he let anything through on accident.

Jus' muh two pesos.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Second in spoilers because I have no idea if any of this is a spoiler as I've yet to see p2. I do like spoiler tags though.

WARNING: "stuffs." spoilers below
In your real-life equivalent modelling the Harkonnen attack against the Atreides on Arrakis, I'd take that a step farther. If I'm reading you right, a foreign aggressor attacks N.Y. City (or whatever populated equivalent in your region/country), so then use nukes on N.Y. City (or whatever populated equivalent in your region/country). Seems to me that there's a gap between those two steps.

In all seriousness though, for all that I've seen and read, DV seems to have thoroughly studied the source material. I doubt he let anything through on accident.

Jus' muh two pesos.
Your analogy doesn't quite work imho because in the world of Dune, you have "Houses" instead of the nation-states we have on this planet right now.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Basically, the House of Atreides should do whatever it can to defend itself and defend the head of it. I mean that's just common sense, right? So why would it not position its best weapon to ward off any possible attackers?

That's a different argument than it was originally, and I was only extending your analogy of U.S. nuclear options. If we're only going to use the world of Dune, then that sneak attach was still an attack on House Atreides. Nuke House Atreides to stop the Harkonnen sneak attack.

My parenthetical region/country add was tongue-in-cheek to justify adding parenthesis and rambling on a bit more.

that sneak attach was still an attack on House Atreides. Nuke House Atreides to stop the Harkonnen sneak attack.
No, I'm talking about launching the "atomics" at the invading ships before their troops had a chance to disembark. Basically destroy those ships while still in the upper atmosphere.

Um, in other Dune-related news, Neil deGrasse Tyson had some thoughtful comments about the new movie while talking to Stephen Colbert on the Late Show last night.

Definitely a bit on the geeky side, but still fascinating to watch.

No, I'm talking about launching the "atomics" at the invading ships before their troops had a chance to disembark. Basically destroy those ships while still in the upper atmosphere.
Oh I see. I would still assume DV opted to stay within the constraints, whatever those may be, that exist in the author's universe. Sadly, I've not read the books either. Perhaps the reliance on shields over the offensive use of atomics was explored in the text. Even with the creative conflict of "correcting" source material (I assume this would be a correction if the original writing was off) to make it more relatable to modern audiences and sci-fi buffs, doing so would probably create more story arc issues that would spread uncontrollably once the invading Harkonnen forces were pushed back, if not annihilated completely, by using atomics during the invasion. From that point forward, all provided plot motivation stops, my guess, and suddenly we're experiencing a very different story.

Iderno. Suspension of disbelief, I suppose. Take it for face value that a fictional universe that operates under different religious and scientific practices than what our universe does might have evolved its own internal logic for such things. While my use of N.Y.C. was only a model for reference, you are right in that we are talking about Arrakis within the world of "Dune." If we agree to that, then applying our experienced logic to the "Dune" experience and resulting logic might be off and more to the issue.

I maybe should have spoiler-tagged all that to keep in tradition, and that I kind of like using them. I forgot. =\

Possible Spoilers***

In Dune the novel it was stated that the first strike use of atomics was strictly forbidden and any of the ruling houses that violated that would be destroyed by all the other houses. In the novel the Atreides got around that rule by using their atomics against the huge rock wall that protected the Harokan 'castle strong hold' on Arrakis after the Harkonnens retook that from the Atreides. I image that's why Dune 2 doesn't have the Atreides using nukes on the attacking ships.

I hope I got that all correct, it's been a long time since I read the Dune books. Hopefully @Sedai will let me know if I remembered that wrong, I know he's read all the Dune books.

I finished watching Dune (2021) in preparation to go see Dune Part Two but was sorely disappointed and am no longer interested in seeing the sequel. I saw the 1984 Lynch version recently, rating that pretty low because I didn't like the messy visual style but now appreciate it much more after seeing the remake. This one looks great but bores me.

I image that's why Dune 2 doesn't have the Atreides using nukes on the attacking ships.

I hope I got that all correct, it's been a long time since I read the Dune books. Hopefully @Sedai will let me know if I remembered that wrong, I know he's read all the Dune books.
WARNING: "Dune 2 spoilers" spoilers below
The Harkonnens first attacked the House of Atreides in Part 1, not Part 2. It was clearly a decapitation strike aimed at decimating the Atreides clan; it seems inconceivable that any prior treaty that might have been signed wouldn't have made a clear exception for emergency self-defense.

Think about it; why sign a treaty that completely took away your ability to defend yourself in case someone wants to kill you and take over everything you have? It makes no sense. No leader in their right mind would ever agree to leaving themselves completely vulnerable to a hostile attack.

As for the House of Atreides being somehow 'penalized' for using the atomics when they were clearly left with no other choice, well, having control over the planet's spice would have given them tremendous leverage.

Paul kind of tries to take advantage of such leverage in Part 2, to some extent, but they could have done that before the Harkonnens attacked and killed the old Duke Atreides. It would have been more than enough to discourage any hostile parties from launching such an attack on the Atreides House.