Joker 2

Tools    

It looks a little more promising now that I've seen the trailer, but I'm still really not happy that it's a musical. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll turn out to be one of the rare exceptions to my musical hatred.

I'm interested, musicals aren't a top priority for my movie watching choices but this has potential.

The jarring shift from performance to acting is usually the dealbreaker and this may not have that. I’m thinking the Copa Cabana scene from Goodfellas for some reason.

It looks a little more promising now that I've seen the trailer, but I'm still really not happy that it's a musical. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll turn out to be one of the rare exceptions to my musical hatred.
That’s pretty much my take right there. But I’m glad Gaga is in it. It’s a good fit imo. I guess I’ll watch it in the end. But it doesn’t sound that promising overall.

A little more promising with this new trailer, but I still have my reservations.

Yeah but the early word from the festival circuit isn't very positive at all.

Despite the out-in-the-open obvious homages that almost felt like straight up stealing and the not-that-deep and pretty straight forward approach to the character of Joker, I loved the first film a lot.

Very heavy on atmosphere and mood and how it made me feel just worked. And of course, Phoenix was amazing…

The sequel however, is just what you feared. A disappointment, unfortunately. And very unnecessary.

I should hope this one hits a happy note at the box-office!

It just seemed like more of a moment, culture phenomenon, than anything else. The R-rated movie in the Batman universe.

I’m sure I’ll probably never get around to watching this on Max, but I would like to.

I strongly suggest you don't waste your money on this

Joker: Folie à Deux

As a lifelong fan of musicals, I'll tell ya - Joker: Folie à Deux isn't much of a musical. It isn't even much of a movie.

This time, the joke's on the audience. And it isn't even remotely funny.

This is one of those movies where the behind-the-scenes featurettes are guaranteed to be more entertaining than the movie itself.

It's a 2-1/2 hour compilation of mostly awful or pointless scenes adding up to... nothing, really.

The movie tries to provide a "shock" ending and, well, good luck avoiding spoilers for this one, because they're going to be out there and they're going to be hard to miss. And it is very unlikely, once word gets out, it will make people want to even watch the movie.

It's a real shame, because it's obvious that WB spared no expense in getting a first-rate supporting cast and a very good crew. The building materials to make a decent movie are all there - but there's just no story.

You could probably get a 5-year-old to come up with a better and more entertaining story than what passes for one here: it's basically Joker being put on trial for what he did in the first movie. That's it.

And then there's the absolutely worst thing about the film: what it does to the character of Harley Quinn (called "Lee" here). There have been some pretty good depictions of the character in other movies and animated series. But here, it isn't even much of a character: it's just an excuse to get Gaga in the movie, and use the character's actions for convenient plot turns.

The Joker sequel doesn't work as a musical, doesn't work as a courtroom drama, doesn't work as a psychological thriller, and frankly, it just doesn't work at all.

Even the use of IMAX format here is completely wasted - which is particularly maddening since this movie comes just a week after the greatest masterpiece of the year, Coppola's Megalopolis, which made such excellent use of the format.

It is really very sad to see fine character actors like Brendan Gleeson, Catherine Keener, Steve Coogan and Zazie Beetz wasted in tripe like this.

Hands down, the leading candidate right now for worst movie of the year.

Lady Gaga was on Kimmel last night. She explained something that had bothered me a bit about the movie, saying she deliberately held back with her singing in this movie, because she's playing a character who isn't a trained singer, so in her view, it wouldn't make sense that this character could sing as well as she does IRL.

Lady Gaga was on Kimmel last night. She explained something that had bothered me a bit about the movie, saying she deliberately held back with her singing in this movie, because she's playing a character who isn't a trained singer, so in her view, it wouldn't make sense that this character could sing as well as she does IRL.

This is very odd. I’m even more lost about this now.

I strongly suggest you don't waste your money on this

As a lifelong fan of musicals, I'll tell ya - Joker: Folie à Deux isn't much of a musical. It isn't even much of a movie.

This is one of those movies where the behind-the-scenes featurettes are guaranteed to be more entertaining than the movie itself.

It's a 2-1/2 hour compilation of mostly awful or pointless scenes adding up to... nothing, really.

The movie tries to provide a "shock" ending and, well, good luck avoiding spoilers for this one, because they're going to be out there and they're going to be hard to miss. And it is very unlikely, once word gets out, it will make people want to even watch the movie.

It's a real shame, because it's obvious that WB spared no expense in getting a first-rate supporting cast and a very good crew. The building materials to make a decent movie are all there - but there's just no story.

You could probably get a 5-year-old to come up with a better and more entertaining story than what passes for one here: it's basically Joker being put on trial for what he did in the first movie. That's it.

And then there's the absolutely worst thing about the film: what it does to the character of Harley Quinn (called "Lee" here). There have been some pretty good depictions of the character in other movies and animated series. But here, it isn't even much of a character: it's just an excuse to get Gaga in the movie, and use the character's actions for convenient plot turns.

The Joker sequel doesn't work as a musical, doesn't work as a courtroom drama, doesn't work as a psychological thriller, and frankly, it just doesn't work at all.

Even the use of IMAX format here is completely wasted - which is particularly maddening since this movie comes just a week after the greatest masterpiece of the year, Coppola's Megalopolis, which made such excellent use of the format.

It is really very sad to see fine character actors like Brendan Gleeson, Catherine Keener, Steve Coogan and Zazie Beetz wasted in tripe like this.

This review is… ouch. But yeah, that’s why I haven’t dared see it yet.

Where “in the world” have I seen this post before?