Cinema's Greatest Antiheroes

Tools    

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
**** off until you have then.
Tell me your being sarcastic. If not, don't ever say that sh** to me again.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Iroquois
Nobody's mentioned Tony Montana?

He easily has to be one of the greatest anti-heroes of all-time. Nobody else comes close. Over the course of Scarface, he murders and abuses several people, and not just his enemies - he abuses his wife, his sister, and even kills his best friend. I once heard him described that if he wasn't kind to children, he'd be the world's worst villain. Pacino has never been better playing this guy.

Bad film, not an anti-hero.

Scarface is crap!

Welcome to the human race...
^ Boo!

I'm also wondering if you could classify the Warriors as antiheroes...

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I think i'm missing the definition of anti hero, i always thought Ash was just a hero, he kicks deadite ass. Enlighten me Suspect.
I always say Ash in Army of Darkness as an Anti-hero because at first he only wants to get the book of the dead for the people so he could get home, he didn't care for them at all. So he was doing heroic things for them just for reasons that are anything but heroic

Welcome to the human race...
Yep, that definitely counts as anti-hero. Sounds exactly like Snake Plissken.

So, going by the thread so far, there are two great anti-heroes - Ashly J. Williams and S.D. Plissken. Everyone else is irrelevant.

Iro out.

Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
I always say Ash in Army of Darkness as an Anti-hero because at first he only wants to get the book of the dead for the people so he could get home, he didn't care for them at all. So he was doing heroic things for them just for reasons that are anything but heroic
I see where you're coming from, but i can't help thinking he only slightly fits the profile. Snake is a bad character doing good things whereas Ash is just a self serving but good character.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Originally Posted by Sedai
Bad film, not an anti-hero.

Scarface is crap!
Oh, ditto. Irritating and unlikeable character from a horribly overrated film, in my opinion.

anti-hero is a character that does bad things for good reasons, or good things for bad reasons (I think)

Otis Driftwood, Captain Spaulding, and Baby. The Devil's Rejects are three incredible antiheroes. It was one of the most difficult endings to a film I have ever had to watch. Despite their unforgivable actions, you become attached to the characters and the bond they have. If you are looking for the definition of antiheroes, look no further.

The Boondock Saints

And we have a winner...good job Marc. I got excited when I thought I was gonna be the first one to post that.

1. Ash from the Evil Dead series (pictured in my avatar)
2. The brothers from the Boondock Saints
3. Marv from Sin City (all main characters in that movie exhibit anti-hero traits, I just thought Marv was the best example, feel free to disagree)
4. Butch from Pulp Fiction (Bruce Willis) - I thought about not including this one, but I can see where he would be an anti-hero in some ways.

I thought about writing in Henry Hill from Goodfellas, (Ray Liotta), but decided he was just a villain. The fact that anyone feels emotional attachment to him throughout the movie doesn't change the fact that he was not self-less in any way.

"I am."

I'm thinking Alexander Conklin (Chris Cooper) from The Bourne Identity who did bad things for what he believed to be for the Good of his Country.

Svidrigailov, but dang that's from a book.

You have been Juged!!!!
Ash (army of Darkness)
Francesco Dellamorte (Dellamorte Dellamore)
The man with no Name (dollars)
Jesus (The last temptation of Christ)

Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
My favorite anti-heroes are Marv (Sin City), Ash (Evil Dead), and Butch (Pulp Fiction).

p29
Agent Rupert Anderson played by Gene Hackman in Mississippi Burning

Creasy played by Denzel Washington in Man on Fire

Donnie Brasco played by Johny Depp

Sonny Chiba's Terry Tsurugi, of The Street Fighter fame. Talk about a rough "good guy", who's only slightly less evil than the guys he beats to death with skull-splitting karate chops, eye gouges, rib removals and testicle rips!

Dirty Harry is kind of an anti-hero, but more like a really tough good guy.