The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Two movies that I didn't vote for but I'm happy to see make the list.

I think what keeps me loving Willie Wonka as much as I could is that any time the movie is about Charlie it falls flat. Being that he is the story's protagonist, that's going to have some effect.

Gene Wilder is brilliant, the Oompa songs are fun and have me singing them for days every time I watch the movie and I love the cast of kids. (Except Charlie)

Roald Dahl was the best children's author bar none. No one even comes close to him.

I don't dislike Wonka, but I'm not a fan and didn't vote for it. Haven't seen the other one.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

A system of cells interlinked
Wow, I have never ever heard of A Woman Under the Influence! Adding that one to my queue...

Wow, I have never ever heard of A Woman Under the Influence! Adding that one to my queue...
How is that possible?!? Yeah, you may like it a lot.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yes Gena Rowlands is great, but I can't say I care for the movie. I did get more form it than I got put of Faces, though. It's been ages since I've seen Willy Wonka and the choclate Factory but I'm happy that it's here out of nostalgia alone,

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
My memory of Willy Wonka is reading the book in 5th grade and watching the movie. There's something magical about it. I agree that on a technical scale it's not any sort of masterpiece but it is the definition of 70s. Gene Wilder is the star here as Mr. Willy Wonka himself. The direction by Mel Stuart is bold as well. This is a great book to film adaptation and we rarely see those things work out in today's films. This definitely won't be the end for Mr. Gene Wilder either. Highly quotable film too.

Favorite quotes- We are the music-makers. We are the dreamers of dreams.
You get nothing!
The suspense is terrible! I hope it'll last
Don't just stand there! Do something!- Help. Police. Murder
So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that, reverse it.

If you don't like the film then I consider you heartless. While I had it at 25 (and heck, it probably wouldn't have made my list had I seen Autumn Sonata and Mean Streets in time), it is a 70s movie to the core!

The People's Republic of Clogher
I remember first watching Woman Under The Influence after being entranced by Gena Rowlands in Terence Davies' The Neon Bible in the mid 90s.

Great film. Not on my list but wasn't far off.

EDIT - Wonka's a childhood film that, like HP says, still holds up today. I bought the BD not that long ago and I'll only re-buy things I really like.

Or that are really cheap

The Adventure Starts Here!
Wow, Manhattan is low. Not a film I had on my list, but I kinda expected it to be higher, though now I think about it I guess Woody isn't exactly the most universally popular filmmaker around here. The 70s may have been his best decade, but this effectively crushes any lingering hope I may have had for Sleeper, Love and Death, Interiors or Play It Again, Sam showing up.
I've got a couple of those fairly high on my list, so maybe... maybeeeee...

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm being a little too harsh. To me, it just looked like you were putting the movie and Raul down. You should have added some animated balloons and confetti.
I think you may have overreacted and been looking for wrongdoing that wasn't there, SC. I read Holden's original post with the raul quotes and chuckled because it was a humorous way of letting raul know he'd overreacted (repeatedly) about Willy Wonka possibly not being on the list.

I envisioned raul not only being happy the movie has appeared but ALSO chuckling at Holden's having a little fun with his previous comments. If it had been me making the negative comments and me that Holden had quoted, I would have thought it hilarious.

Then again, I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder and I tend to see good-natured ribbing as a way of showing affection. You know, like tousling a kid's hair.

And yeah, Holden never badmouthed the MOVIE. I have no clue where you came up with that, except that you were on hyper-alert to misinterpret Holden's intentions.

I, for one, think he's an awesome host, and interacting with all of us, including those of us who've been predicting wrongly repeatedly, makes it all that much more fun.

Oh my stars! It made it! It made it! Which of you voted for it and did the right thing! I had it at 25! Couldn't keep it off my list for nostalgic factors. It is indeed a good day sir!
I had it at #4 on my list, so I guess that helped a little.

Glad to help brighten your day, rauld!

Believe it or not, I did not see this movie in the theater. I didn't become obsessed with Gene Wilder until 1974 when I saw "Blazing Saddles." By then, "Willy Wonka" was long gone from the theaters.

I was ten when "Willy Wonka" came out, and I remember desperately wanting to see it because EVERYONE was seeing it and it looked so incredibly awesome. But alas, age ten is so unfair because you can't go to the theater without some sort of chaperone, and my parents had no interest in going or in taking me to see it. If I'd seen this one when it was new, my obsession would simply have started three years earlier. (This year marks my 40th year of Gene fandom, as things worked out.)

I don't remember in what context I eventually saw the movie, but I was already a Gene fan by the time I did. And, it was #4 on my list. And, I was glad to hear Gene say that he wasn't overly fond of Mr. Depp's interpretation of the material. As much as I always admire Depp's fun performances, I hated him as Wonka. I'm sure it has nothing to do with my bias toward Mr. Wilder. *cough*

Watching A Woman Under the Influence tonight hopefully. I'm excited.

On another note, from the world's biggest Roald Dahl fan, I think the Wonka movie is atrocious.

I think A Women Under the Influence is great, the directing is pretty unique, the way he Cassavetes makes long shots to show a certain realism. Also, as everyone else were saying Rowlands and Falk give 2 of the best performances ever.

I ended up voting for a movie that starred Cassavetes and Falk, but was directed by someone else. That movie never had a chance to make this countdown.
Ah too bad, I had it pretty high on my list! More people should see it

A system of cells interlinked
My memory of Willy Wonka is reading the book in 5th grade and watching the movie. There's something magical about it. I agree that on a technical scale it's not any sort of masterpiece but it is the definition of 70s. Gene Wilder is the star here as Mr. Willy Wonka himself. The direction by Mel Stuart is bold as well. This is a great book to film adaptation and we rarely see those things work out in today's films. This definitely won't be the end for Mr. Gene Wilder either. Highly quotable film too.

Favorite quotes- We are the music-makers. We are the dreamers of dreams.
You get nothing!
The suspense is terrible! I hope it'll last
Don't just stand there! Do something!- Help. Police. Murder
So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that, reverse it.

If you don't like the film then I consider you heartless. While I had it at 25 (and heck, it probably wouldn't have made my list had I seen Autumn Sonata and Mean Streets in time), it is a 70s movie to the core!
I like it well enough. I used to love this flick when i was a wee tot, and I will still give it a watch now and then. A couple of the musical numbers sort of rub me the wrong way these days, though. I am looking at you Cheer up, Charlie!

Still - this was a childhood favorite, so it gets a pass.

Watching A Woman Under the Influence tonight hopefully. I'm excited.

On another note, from the world's biggest Roald Dahl fan, I think the Wonka movie is atrocious.

Ah too bad, I had it pretty high on my list! More people should see it
I'm not sure who would think highly of it, but my guess would be that only about 10% of the people who voted have seen it.

Haven't seen A Woman Under The Influence.

However, time for me to duck...

I hate Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory...

My Sister watched it all the time and would sing songs from it constantly and all the kids in our street would do the same. I had that film hammered into me from a very early age, maybe 2 or 3 all the way up to when I was about 6...

I cannot stand it... and Charlie Bucket looks like he's about to burst into tears in every scene.