RIP Muhammad Ali

Tools    

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Muhammad Ali, the three-time heavyweight boxing champion who became the most recognized person in the world, died Friday after a brief bout with respiratory illness and a decades-long battle with Parkinson's disease, according to a spokesperson for the family. He was 74.

Three police officers from Louisville left town for Scottsdale, Ari., Thursday night to bring the man who was born Cassius Clay but became known as “The Greatest” home for the final time. A memorial service is planned for the KFC Yum! Center, at a time to be announced.

His death, like his life, will reverberate around the world. but it will hit nowhere harder than Louisville, his hometown, which shaped him, discovered him, struggled with him, and sent him off into the world only to see him return a different man with a different name -- a man who belonged to everyone.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nat...s/201606030207

I saw earlier today that he was hospitalized. It made me think this might happen, but not so soon.

RIP.

I don't care at all about boxing in general but he was truly the best ever.

The greatest champion of all champions. Its extra tragic his incredible charisma was stifled by his Parkinsons later in life. RIP Muhammad

BANNED
Not only a great champ, but what he had to deal with in the 60's. That's the greatness!

R.I.P.

What sad news to wake up to
R.I.P. Muhammad

Damnit . Ever since Joe Frazier died i've been expecting him to pass, still it really hits you. Muhammad Ali was my hero, ever since i got my dad's video tape of the rumble in the jungle as a kid that featured a short 20 miinute opening explaining what had happened in his life/career up to then as well as how brutal and terrifying George Foreman was against Joe Frazier. The man meant so much to me, in my top ten boxers thread i had him at #3 even though i think that was honestly a bit high he probably shouldn't have been ahead of Armstrong, Langford and Charles but it was hard enough not letting my bias carry him to #1. I really do think he would've been #1 if the best years of his career weren't taking away, in the ring he looked better than anybody including Sugar Ray. I wasn't even able to finish his writeups i did a fairly lengthy part 1 that was only up to the first Henry Cooper fight, i need to finish it now. I also posted an excert from an interview with him in a book i own, that showed while he was an arrogant a-hole and had no problem admitting that he had every single reason to be just that. He explains that is round predictions aren't just the words of some cocky guy who gets lucky but that he completely knew who he was going up against and he knew when he would be able to finish the fighter if he was in top form. Here it is:

"I ain't missed but twice. If you figure out the man you're up against, and you know what you can do, then you can pretty much do it whenever you get ready. Once I call the round, I plan what I'm going to do in the fight. Like, you take Archie Moore. He's a better fighter than Sonny Liston. He's harder to hit, the way he bobs and weaves, and yes smart. You get careless and hell drop you. I guess he knows more tricks in the ring than anybody but Sugar Ray. But he was fa and forty five, and he had to be looking for a lucky punch before he got tired. I just had to pace myself so as to tire him. I hooked him and jabbed him silly the first round, then I coasted the second. Right at the end of the second, he caught me with a good right on the jaw, but it didn't do me no harm. Then I started out the third throwing leather on him, and when I could feel him wearing down, I slowed up, looking for my spots to hit him. And then in the fourth round, I poured it on him again. And he did go down; he was nearly out. But he got up at eight. A few combinations sent him back down, and then the referee stopped it. It was just like I planned".
Here is my part 1 post on him as well if anyone is interested, i'm planning on finishing it now with probably a part 2 and 3 - http://www.movieforums.com/community...50#post1357350

As a man he wasn't perfect like some make out now, he had his flaws but he absolutely stood up for what he believed in against great oppression and i love him for that just as much as for what he did in the ring. RIP Great One . Don't think a celebrity death will mean this much to me again until Stephen Fry dies or something.

Ali's 30 best quotes - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uth-sport.html

'Live every day like it's your last because someday you're going to be right.'

'Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beating each other up.'
. I know he was making a serious point here but this made me laugh.

'Don't count the days; make the days count.'

The People's Republic of Clogher
When I was a child I idolised two men. The first was Steve Austin, the other was Muhammad Ali.

Only one was actually superhuman.

The funny thing was, I was only old enough to have seen (and remembered) the tail end of Ali's career, from the Spinks fight onwards towards its sad, inevitable conclusion in 1981. It was around the time of his retirement that we got our first VCR, however, and I devoured anything Ali-related I could get my hands on.

One of the most talented, charismatic, beautiful and important people of the 20th century, and one who had spent almost half his life in the grip of an awful, progressive disease. Would he have developed Parkinson's without boxing? Probably not, at least not in his early 40s. Would he have become a worldwide superstar without boxing?

You've heard him sing, yeah?

I'm sad this morning, truly sad. Parky can say it better than me anyway:

EDIT -

Goodbye old chum. Rest easy.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
"My conscience won't let me go shoot my brother, or some darker people, or some poor hungry people in the mud for big powerful America. And shoot them for what? They never called me ******, they never lynched me, they didn't put no dogs on me, they didn't rob me of my nationality, rape and kill my mother and father. ... Shoot them for what? How can I shoot them poor people? Just take me to jail."
-Muhammad Ali

"My conscience won't let me go shoot my brother, or some darker people, or some poor hungry people in the mud for big powerful America. And shoot them for what? They never called me ******, they never lynched me, they didn't put no dogs on me, they didn't rob me of my nationality, rape and kill my mother and father. ... Shoot them for what? How can I shoot them poor people? Just take me to jail."
-Muhammad Ali
what was his take on the iraq war ?

There are some legends, who are so great, that they leap out of what they were "originally" or "mostly" known for, in such a way, that they aren't just respected and admire for their craft but for their person and who they are.

Muhammad Ali is that person. I never cared for boxing, I think I've seen 2-3 fights in my whole life. But I admire and respect Ali a lot. It doesn't matter which sport you like, it doesn't matter which color you are, it doesn't matter which religion you have. Muhammad Ali is one of the greatest legends of our time.

Rest in peace.

He was a legend, and he loved being one and we loved him all the more for it.
I loved it when he was on Michael Parkinson's shows all those years back, he was a funny guy. The world is a poorer place without people like Ali.