The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

What really matters is at the end of this list is when we share our ballot list. rub it in and say this is my list

Rooting for a movie that is not one of my ballots but might make it since Clueless and Mean Girls made it,

Let's Go Easy A, make the list! make the list! make the list! lol

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Operation Dumbo Drop and Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo...?
My #2 and #7

Love Being John Malkovich, but the truth is that I haven't seen it in probably 10-15 years so I didn't feel comfortable voting for it.

As for Clue, I've seen it a bunch of times and I think it's very funny. It just didn't make the cut for me.

So, no changes for me.

Seen: 43/58

My ballot:  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Being John Malkovich is my fave Spike Jonze and fave Charlie Kaufman film. When it came on, i kept waiting for a punchline to end the joke, but it never did; the movie is its own punchline. It keeps getting more bizarre - sure, with plenty of laughs - but then it also gets more disturbing. It also helps that everybody plays it straight.

Clue is amusing but also kinda the opposite of Malkovich in that everybody overplays their roles. It's still plenty fun and makes me wonder if and where Murder by Death might show.

I liked Being John Malkovich. Not enough to make the list, but it's worth it for the scene where John realizes everyone looks just like him.

Clue is my first entry at number 9. It's one of the best murder mystery comedies out there with its blend of slapstick and wittier material (It's a matter of life after death. Now that he's dead, I have a life). As it veers from one room to the next on its path to the conclusion, the cast plays its roles to perfection. It's not easy to make a slamming doors comedy succeed, but it's no mystery why Clue pulled it off.

My List:

9. Clue

HMs: Happy Gilmore, Clueless, Mean Girls

Clue is amusing but also kinda the opposite of Malkovich in that everybody overplays their roles. It's still plenty fun and makes me wonder if and where Murder by Death might show.
I don't think Murder by Death will even show, at this point. Rightly or wrongly I think the student has surpassed the master. I don't know that ANY Neil Simon is going to show up on the countdown, which is amazing considering how omnipresent the man's work was for a couple decades there! He may be one of those with such consistent quality to his work that it spreads his votes too thin in an exercise like this? I am sure Barefoot in the Park, The Odd Couple, Murder by Death, The Goodbye Girl, and several of the other titles (Biloxi Blues, The Heartbreak Kid, The Sunshine Boys, Seems Like Old Times, etc.) made ballots, but he doesn't have those one or two that are so much more beloved than the rest to rise to the top. There's no true consensus of what his "best" or funniest films is.

Unless Barefoot or Odd Couple show up in the next few sets of reveals I suspect Neil ain't gonna make it. I just jotted down the list of what I figure has to still be there plus another round of stuff that very well could be, and then a few more even still...and it is well over fifty titles. Some of these I am thinking of won't make it and there are surely a title or two that will still surprise me. We are running out of room at the inn, Joseph.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Still only one film from my list has made it so far, and I only have reasonable faith for four of the others.

There are a lot that I haven't seen or don't remember well enough to comment. Mean Girls is good. It's Such a Beautiful Day is brilliant... I remember it as more of a tragedy than a comedy, although of course it's kind of both. Hopefully it will get a good spot on the 2010s list when we do that. I also think The Great Dictator, Playtime and Harold and Maude are worthy entries. Spaceballs less so. I know I should rewatch Singin' in the Rain to see what all the fuss is about. I feel like Rushmore won't be the last we see of Wes Anderson. I hope Clerks is the last we'll see of Kevin Smith (no offence to Clerks, Clerks is alright, it's the rest of them...)

Predictions for tomorrow:

Arsenic and Old Lace (again... or for the first time....)
Synechdoche New York

Clue! There we go.

Even leaving aside it's value as a comedy, I thought it was a pretty decent whodunnit that manages to have it's cake and eat it too by having multiple endings. It's no Case Closed episode, but it's a fun little romp that finds amusing personalities in what were only colored board game pieces and makes a mystery movie parody of the result.

1. ??? (1971)
2. ??? (1999)
3. Black Dynamite (2009)
4. Clue (1985)
5. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
6. ??? (1998)
7. ??? (1975)
8. ??? (2013)
9. ??? (2010)
10. ??? (2006)

Murder by Death was another childhood favorite along with Clue (I think I also really liked Young Sherlock Holmes as well, though not a parody).

I don't think it became a nostalgia thing for my micro-generation the way Clue did though. I didn't realize it was Neil Simon. Granted, at that age, I didn't know the name, "Neil Simon."

I do have one Neil Simon movie on my ballot. My hopes for it making the list are very slim. It has one or two big things working in its favor that it was on people's minds when filling out their ballots. It's got even bigger problems for why it wasn't even in consideration for most people.

Being John Malkovich might be one of the most brilliantly written comedies ever. And that's before we even factor in its philosophical trappings and its enormous imagination. Just like with Withnail and I, an awful lot of the 'jokes' are a result of the dynamics between the characters. How they are all lost in their own obsessions. And how they deal with this and how they treat eachother as a result. But then there are also obvious jokes. The film is littered with them. So it's the best of both worlds. It's miraculously funny. Like, consistently, from start to finish, which is more than I can say for most of the other comedies I've even included on my own list. This whole list would have been deemed irrelevant if it didn't appear

I can't believe I forgot Clue. Just for the nostalgia alone, I usually include it in my top 10. And unlike Malkovich, it's almost pure jokes. And a lot of them are corny as ****. But because of the royalty of comedy performers we have here, it's great to just see them riffing on quippy humor that probably qualified as Dad jokes back in 1986. I love this movie, and was pleased upon revisiting it a few years ago, it wasn't just a dumb kid brain that loved it. It holds up. Clearly, the audiences and critics were wrong back in the 80's, and as usual even while saddled with a brain that was more a Pudding Pop than the collection of highly firing neurons that I now possess, I knew better than them all. Take that, disbelievers.

Also, Harold and Maude is a beautiful film, that I struggled over whether or not to include on my ballot (and eventually did, I think). Mostly because beauty and humor are not terribly good bedfellows. But in this case, they do compliment eachother wonderfully, with two beautiful performances, reciting beautiful dialogue, under the direction of the beautiful Hal Ashby. While I think I can begrudgingly sympathize with how many people this film seems to turn off (the fake suicides, the age gap between lovers) my hope for humanity is that we can look past our gut reactions towards these two taboo things and see the beautiful and life affirming sadness that composes the whole of this film. Every time I see it, I love it more.

Being John Malkovich is my fave Spike Jonze and fave Charlie Kaufman film. When it came on, i kept waiting for a punchline to end the joke, but it never did; the movie is its own punchline. It keeps getting more bizarre - sure, with plenty of laughs - but then it also gets more disturbing. It also helps that everybody plays it straight.

Yes

I remember being skeptical when someone told me Being John Malcovich would be my kind of movie, but damn if they weren't right. A kind of magic realism comedy that is able to take its absurdist premise and turn it into a sort of thriller in the second half, it's been a very meaningful movie for me over all these years, and I had it at #8.

My List:
4. Playtime (#48)
8. Being John Malkovich (#44)
21. One, Two, Three (#85)
22. Beetlejuice (#78)
24. Sullivan's Travels (#100)

Did not vote for Being John Malkovich, but I think it’s very good. And quite funny indeed. Especially the Malkovich, Malkovich scene. Absolutely memorable madness.

Not seen Clue.

1. Clue (1985)
8. Singin' in the Rain (1952)
12. Sullivan's Travels (1941)
22. My Cousin Vinny (1992)
25. Le Grand Amour (1969)

I'm glad Clue made the cut it's my favorite comedy of all-time but looking at this list it really demonstrates that Comedies should have been done in decade or generation lists

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Y'all are haters, Being John Malkovich is absolutely hilarious from the first scene

Don't know why I've always neglected watching Clue, I think I'd love it

My List:
4. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
6. The Great Dictator (1940)
9. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
13. Being John Malkovich (1999)
14. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
17. The Kid (1921)
25. Scary Movie 4 (2006). (1 PTer)
It's just me complaining really. So I'm the only hater.

I expected something like Being John Malkovich to appear, not because it's haha hilarious all the time, but because the writing is mind-blowing. Easily going in my top 40 movies.

Having said that, I never in eternity would've expected Clue.

Seen 37/58

It's just me complaining really. So I'm the only hater.

Perhaps I have not properly conveyed my disdain for ***magic realism***, or my newfound loathing for the Wikipedia editors that put fantasy movies with real-world settings like Pan's Labyrinth, Edward Scissorhands, and Green Mile in the same category as Charlie Kaufman and Darren Aronofsky movies.