Movies people can't dislike without losing your respect

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Psycho (Hitchcock, 1960)

I loved The Princess Bride as a kid but I forgot about it until now.

I could probably come up with a few decent choices for this thread, but with the caveat that you should never judge someone solely by the movies they like...

..I'd take it as a pretty bad sign if they disliked The Princess Bride. It has a particular brand of humor and absurdity that I think someone would have to be able to appreciate if they're going to withstand the type of humor I'd probably subject them to. Aside from that, it's just about the sweetest movie you ever did see, and I find it somewhat difficult to conceive of a good-hearted person who strongly dislikes it.

I don't usually take the phrase "something from everyone" too seriously, but The Princess Bride is worthy of it. It has such a broad appeal, and is satisfying on so many different emotional fronts. It is hysterical, beautiful, touching, clever, and exciting.

Thank goodness my girlfriend adores it.
Back when I used to work at a video store, whenever someone asked my advice on a movie the whole family could enjoy (Mom, Dad, 14 year old son, 8 year old daughter, etc), The Princess Bride was always my first choice of what to recommend. It is, indeed, a movie with something for everyone. I must have seen it 20 times and I still love it.

You ready? You look ready.
The Empire Strikes Back
Blade Runner
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Die Hard

I think that's it.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I could probably come up with a few decent choices for this thread, but with the caveat that you should never judge someone solely by the movies they like...

..I'd take it as a pretty bad sign if they disliked The Princess Bride. It has a particular brand of humor and absurdity that I think someone would have to be able to appreciate if they're going to withstand the type of humor I'd probably subject them to. Aside from that, it's just about the sweetest movie you ever did see, and I find it somewhat difficult to conceive of a good-hearted person who strongly dislikes it.

I don't usually take the phrase "something from everyone" too seriously, but The Princess Bride is worthy of it. It has such a broad appeal, and is satisfying on so many different emotional fronts. It is hysterical, beautiful, touching, clever, and exciting.

Funny story about the The Princess Bride, my ex told me it was her all time favourite film and i lot respect for her because of it, however i was thinking she meant The Princess Diaries

Luckily she lent Princess Bride to me, i realised what film it was and have since rectified my error; inflicting Oldboy upon her- "it's a really good film..... but it's ****ING SICK"

Can't even get current missus in cinema, let alone watch subtitles lol

The Empire Strikes Back
Blade Runner
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Die Hard

I think that's it.
Hmmm...I don't like Die Hard, so I guess we don't have much of a future, huh?

Whoa, I have to say that i'm in shock right now. I just watched A Room For Romeo Brass hoping my girlfriend will enjoy the film as much I did...but alas no..

My girlfriend found it boring. I guess I overhyped the film a bit. The worst thing though is that she said Paddy Considine's performance wasn't anything special!!

Anyways, i'm wound up about that. I thought it was a great film.

Most of the movies I geek out over, my girl doesn't like that much, (or care about) so I have gotten used to disappointment when showing them to her.

On the other hand she does like pretty good movies (in general) but I don't understand her infatuation with Blue Crush.

And if she didn't love The Princess Bride I would take her ring back and break up with her right now

She doesn't have to like all these movies, just not hate on them.

-Kill Bill
-40 Year Old Virgin
-Seven
-The Transformers (animated and the new one )
-Iron Man (when it comes out)

I once overheard a different couples convo and she was explaining how The Departed was an awful movie. I would have sent her packin.

Beware The Probe!
I don't always hold it against people when they exclude certain genres from what they like to watch.
I know not everyone is into science fiction, horror movies, or westerns so I can usually excuse someone not liking most of those type of movies but when someone tells me they've never liked Star Wars or E.T., or Jurassik Park, I pretty much think they might be mental.
I figure those 3 should be enjoyable to anyone.

Otherwise I'd have to say movies like True Romance, Something About Mary or It's a Wonderful Life would fall into that same group where I begin to wonder if I'm actually dating a robot (in which case they should like sci-fi so the robo-girl could still technically be acceptable to me and I wouldn't dump her for it).

Hmmm. So, in essence you're implying that we can use film as a measuring stick against ourselves and our possible compatibility or incompatibility with others based upon that data. Interesting!

Okay, for me it would have to be any of the Universal monster pictures from the 30's and 40's. They're low tech, basic, they speak to fears that are still somewhat relevant (arguable, in some cases) and they're a whole lot of fun to watch. Anyone who can't love those old films is gonna have to get kicked off the couch.

Hmmm...I don't like Die Hard, so I guess we don't have much of a future, huh?
I gotta agree with you against Die Hard, Prospero. Who would've thought they'd make a whole film about a Sears-brand car battery.

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
Personally, I can't think of any one movie that if a gf of mine didn't like, that she would have to go... on the flip side, if there was a movie she liked, that I really, really didn't, and she got big time upset with me over, THEN I might have to rethink the relationship...

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
-Iron Man (when it comes out)
If it hasn't even come out yet, how do you even know that you like it? It could be a steaming pile of dung that leaves you crying in the aisles with disappointment.

Iron Man will rock assballs. Guaranteed

Take love of character(Favreau) add awesome, well cast actor(RDJ)
Result:Hot Sexy Assballs(coincidentally the name of my rockapella band)

QED

takashi miikes' movies!

I bet she'd hate She's the man, that movie was amazing in a retarded way.

Now see this is where i'm stuck cause the girl i'm with now has absolutely no tolerance for horror films, she cant stand them one bit but every once and a while I can coerce her into seeing one.

Yet on the bright side she's one of the biggest Darth Vader fans I know sadly, only from the New Trilogy so its kinda in the middle there.

She also is a die hard fan for Audrey Hepburn which is rad cause i've always loved those movies, This kinda of twist and turn and meld into something of a relationship haha.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10