Reading Tab

Tools    

Has anyone read the Bourne Trilogy? I've seen The Bourne Identity and Supremacy and I've heard the books are good.

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by OG-
I'm actually on the second book right now and really, really, really dig it.
My dad and I are on book 5. We're listening to them. But until we go on another trip I'm just reading them.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
Has anyone read the Bourne Trilogy? I've seen The Bourne Identity and Supremacy and I've heard the books are good.
I think the voice Ludlum gives all his characters is extremely corny, but then who reads genre fiction for the prose. They're addictive, quick reads and have a rough, literary equivalent to the panicky/fragmented perception of events that made the movies so watchable. The characters and plots are pretty different from the movies (Bourne is a good deal older in the and the second novel takes place in Hong Kong), but I think they retain the same feel and are okay reads.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Running With Scissors by Augusten Bourroughs

any Shakespeare fans out there? I've read Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet, have seen Pericles and am currently reading Macbeth for English class. I like all of them quite a bit. I wonder if anyone has any favorites of his plays or any particular recommendations. BTW, I don't know if anyone noticed, but it's the Ides of March.

A system of cells interlinked
Florida Road Kill - Dorsey

In the Beginning...
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

I just started it. I dodged this bullet for years, but now it's finally going to make contact (no thanks to college literature courses that only make you read classics between 1700 and 1920).

No offense to Jane Eyre fans, of course...

Originally Posted by Lance McCool
[size=1]Dry - Augusten Burroughs
How was it? Is it similar to Running With Scissors?

Originally Posted by Strummer521
How was it? Is it similar to Running With Scissors?
Yeah, in fact, I actually enjoyed it a little more than his first book. Dry just feels like a painfully honest story and so I wound up relating to it in that deeper and more meaningful recess of my brain. Plus, it doesn't hurt that Burroughs' writing is even sharper than in Scissors (if that were possible).

"Signs with missing letters can only mean bad things. When I was a kid, the 'e' went out in the local Price Chopper grocery store and stayed out for many years. Because the 'Pric Chopper' logo happened to be a man wielding an axe, the sign sent out an eerie and powerful castration message, which, at the age of twelve, affected me deeply."

~ Augusten Burroughs, Page 38 of Dry

Amazing book, better than the film

I'm reading a book called Clay's Way by Blair Mastbaum. The last book I finished was Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk - which I really, really liked. Read it in two days. I really like Clay's Way too, but I'm not vacationing so I can't read it fast.

You ready? You look ready.
I just got the book Natural Atheism in today. Signed by the author and everything. Really neat. I love to have autographed copies of a book. Even if the author has never been heard of before. I have a copy of Sean Hannity's Deliver Us From Evil autographed. I met the guy and shook his hand too. I'm glad I didn't pass up the invite when I was asked; even though I didn't even know who the guy was. I do now. He da man.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Sleezy
Pretty good read.
you mean *very* good read?
oh yeah, American Gods, this is what this post was about, though slightly delayed it may appear

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Wow. I am almost finished with it, but I don't want the book to end. It's probably the best book I've read in a long time. I don't think I've ever felt as full reading a book as I have reading this. You'll never look at the Wizard of Oz the same way again. (it's definitely not for children, however.)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Strummer521
any Shakespeare fans out there? I've read Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet, have seen Pericles and am currently reading Macbeth for English class. I like all of them quite a bit. I wonder if anyone has any favorites of his plays or any particular recommendations. BTW, I don't know if anyone noticed, but it's the Ides of March.
I think the best thing to do is to buy yourself a Complete Works (there should be a few cheapie, no-frills editions around or else a nice second hand one where you can smell the history...and pipe tobacco) and dive right in.

Watching is far better than reading, of course, so check out the Kenneth Branagh filmography for starters.

Picking a favourite Bardic work is, for me, trying to decide which of my kids I love the most but, if you're after a less well known work, try Measure For Measure.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I think the best thing to do is to buy yourself a Complete Works (there should be a few cheapie, no-frills editions around or else a nice second hand one where you can smell the history...and pipe tobacco) and dive right in.

Watching is far better than reading, of course, so check out the Kenneth Branagh filmography for starters.

Picking a favourite Bardic work is, for me, trying to decide which of my kids I love the most but, if you're after a less well known work, try Measure For Measure.

Thanks Tac.

Finished The Outsider by Abert Camus A very good existentialist read.

Re-reading The Satanic Bible by Anton Lavey this time making my analysis instead of flipping through pages.

I am also reading an author friend's book for pre-teens, called Stories For A Stormy Night:Volume 1 It is not my kind of book but I am giving him the support since i think he does have a special talent for writing for this audience.