Quote of the Day

Tools    

Throughout the centuries, man has considered himself beautiful. I rather suppose that man only believes in his own beauty out of pride; that he is not really beautiful and he suspects this himself; for why does he look on the face of his fellow-man with such scorn?

-Maldoror

Show me the manner in which a nation cares for its dead and I will measure with mathematical exactness the tender mercies of its people, their respect for the laws of the land, and their loyalty to high ideals. ~ Sir William Gladstone

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
You have to not listen to the nay sayers because there will be many and often they'll be much more qualified than you and cause you to sort of doubt yourself.
James Cameron

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."

"He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."

"I never said most of the things I said."

- Yogi Berra

"The only wisdom, is knowing you know nothing."

Proverbs often contradict one another, as any reader soon discovers. The sagacity that advises us to look before we leap promptly warns us that if we hesitate we are lost; that absence makes the heart grow fonder, but out of sight, out of mind. ~ Leo Rosten

On Meet the Feebles: "I have a moronic sense of humour."

"To get an Oscar would be an incredible moment in my career, there is no doubt about that, but The Lord of the Rings films are not made for Oscars; they are made for the audience."

"The most honest form of filmmaking is to make a film for yourself. The worst type is dictated by demographics or what is hip or what kids are into. Kong isn't driven by that. No way would a studio think this is the year that people want to see a big gorilla movie. I've come to realize that, as much as anything, I am making this for the 9-year-old Peter" [and Mark ].

On The Lovely Bones - "It's a film about how love never really dies and how time heals."

- Peter Jackson

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
"What I'm trying to say is that, if I can change and you can change, then everyone can change." ~ Rocky Balboa

The People's Republic of Clogher
This film is disgusting. My husband needs to see it.

So said Eileen Paisley, the good lady wife of the Reverend Ian Paisley after a screening of The Exorcist in Belfast. She used to sit on some sort of ad hoc Belfast City Council film censors board, I think.

Oh, go on then. My favourite Ian paisley quote!

Line dancing is as sinful as any other type of dancing, with its sexual gestures and touching. It is an incitement to lust.

To go against the dominant thinking of your friends, of most of the people you see every day, is perhaps the most difficult act of heroism you can perform. ~ Theodore H. White

there's a frog in my snake oil
"In my world of three and a half years, all things were possible; if Sydney, who was four years older than I, could perform legerdemain and swallow a coin and make it come out through the back of his head, I could do the same; so I swallowed a halfpenny and Mother was obliged to send for a doctor."

~Charles Chaplin, My Autobiography, 1964

"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since."

~Salvador Dali, The Secret Life of Salvador Dali, 1942

"I made a swift decision. I woke my brother and proposed a deal. I offered him my hundred tin soldiers in exchange for the cinematograph...

...It is impossible to describe this. I can't find words to express my excitement. But at any time I can recall the smell of the hot metal, the scent of mothballs and dust in the wardrobe, the feel of the crank against my hand. I can see the trembling rectangle on the wall."

~Ingmar Bergman, The Magic Lantern, 1987

"I would never discriminate against someone's talent because they showed the poor taste to like me."

"I'm still working on my life, just like it's out of town, and when I get it fixed, I'll bring it in."

"They may not know what I'm doing, but they know I'm doing something!"

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, work like you don't need the money, and dance like nobody's watching."

- Bob Fosse

The beauty of the trees, the softness of the air,
the fragrance of the grass speaks to me.
The summit of the mountain, the thunder of the sky,
The rhythm of the sea, speaks to me.
The faintness of the stars, the freshness of the morning,
the dewdrop on the flower, speaks to me.
The strength of the fire, the taste of salmon, the trail of the sun,
and the life that never goes away, they speak to me
And my heart soars.

Chief Dan George
died 23 September 1981

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."

- Albert Einstein

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
Being busy does not always mean real work. The object of all work is production or accomplishment and to either of these ends there must be forethought, system, planning, intelligence, and honest purpose, as well as perspiration. Seeming to do is not doing.
Thomas A. Edison

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

- Mahatma Gandhi