Movie Tab II

Tools    

Over the past week or so I've watched:
Alice (1988) -
+
I'm not a big fan of Alice in Wonderland style fantasy, but the unique brand of stop-motion effects had me from the start with this one.
Cemetery Man (1994) -
+
It almost feels like two films in one considering how much of a departure the second half is from the first. It starts off as a pretty standard zombie-horror-comedy and develops into a surrealist film. I think the first half toned down the overall theoretical aspect (which I don't think was intended), but it's very clever and entertaining nonetheless.
The Spirit of the Beehive (1973) -

The quality of filmmaking is what really boosts my rating up for this film. I can definitely see why so many others love it, but it was a little too drawn-out for my liking. Very well made, but very tedious.
White Dog (1982) -

The film tackles a very difficult subject matter, and still comes out impressively. I think this was one of Morricone's best scores as well.

I love summers:

Some Like it Hot (1959, Wilder)- 87/100

Yes Man (2008, Reed)-- 64/100

Notorious (1946, Hitchcock)-- 86/100

The Killing (1956, Kubrick)-- 88/100

Bigger Than Life (1956, Ray)-- 83/100

Diabolique (1955, Cluzot)-- 96/100

The Bad Seed (1956, LeRoy)-- 66/100

Diva (1981, Beineix)-- 69/100

Fargo (1996, Coen)-- 91/100

Aguirre, The Wrath of God (1972, Herzog)-- 91/100

Laura (1944, Preminger)-- 84/100

Being There (1979, Ashby)-- 80/100

Toy Story 3 (2010, Unkrich)-- 81/100

12 Angry Men (1957, Lumet)-- 94/100

The Trial (1962, Welles)-- 70/100

Rio Bravo (1959, Hawks)-- 96/100

Since my last tabbing which was at the start of the month. Yeah, I've been busy.

Grosse Point Blank

I Netflixed this one with absolutely no idea what it was about. Though I love John Cusack, I usually don't like his movies. Thankfully, I was in for a pleasant surprise. This tale of an assassin who has a change of heart and goes home to carry out one last job, attend his high school reunion and get back his high school sweetheart is completely absurd yet very entertaining. Bonus: Joan Cusack in all her neurotic glory. Double Bonus: John looks sexy in black.

there may be one or two i'm forgetting but otherwise this brings my movie watching up to date.

Cop (1988)

Cheapy adaptation of James "L.A. Confidential" Ellroy's novel Blood on the Moon with a really underdeveloped villain. This is pretty much a second-tier star-vehicle as Woods gets by far the most attention (of any other character or any other aspect of the movie, to an almost absurd degree). I'd still put this over any Stalone or Schwartzenneger cop vehicles of the same era because Woods actually knows how to speak and makes the most of some pretty good smarmy writing (most of it probably lifted from the book).

+

Black Cat White Cat (Kusturica, 1998)

Follows through on a few pretty predictable romantic plot-lines (one of those movies where absurd circumstances are forcing an ideal couple apart with comical results). But there's a lot of magic built around that basic spine of a plot. I don't know what it is, it's too complicated and too sensical to be improvisation but in spite of how predictable the outcome is it still feels like at any given moment anything could happen. So as a collection of big messy ensemble textures (measured against a pig slowly eating the rusted texture of a car) this is a great, truly original film.

The Lurking Fear (1994)

One of H.P. Lovecraft's tales of demoniac miscegenation and devolution gets the full straight-to-video treatment. Lovecraft could occasionally take some really turgid prose and evoke something unfamiliar and outside of human experience. Movies have to show you things so I suspect it's harder to do that. This one doesn't do much of anything at all.

The Prestige (Nolan, 2006)

I like how many times characters show up in this movie and fool each other by wearing fake beards. That, and other things require the viewer to stretch her imagination a bit to make it work but that's probably a good thing anyway. There's a lot of self-commentary in the film that is about exactly that, which I find pretty entertaining and worth watching on it's own. As for the actual plot of the film, it's mostly about malice and ego taken to extremes for revenge which, depending on how sympathetic and "deep" you need the characters could work against the movie or not.

+

Toy Story 3 (2010)

This is pretty fun but it's easily my least favorite Pixar movie so far. An okay way to spend a couple hours but I'm not telling anyone they need to see it.

Blow Out (De Palma, 1982)

Oh man, this is De Palma cutting totally loose with the camera, so even if I say that Body Double is a completely entertaining movie with a lot of crazy elements in the story and some of my favorite self-aware performances I think this is better film-making. The first scene and a lot of the scene transitions, and the whole plot of Travolta's quest for a "good scream" is brilliant and at the same time such a total downer. Crazy as John Lithgow is as the opperative G. Gordon Liddy wishes he could be, the political thriller part of the story seems almost ordinary compared to the rest of the movie and is the one thing keeping me from giving this an even higher score.

It also makes me want to go back and watch every De Palma film (including the ones I haven't seen) in wide screen format (or in a cinema) because the last time I saw this movie, about a year ago, was a pan-and-scan version that blows by comparison.

+

Dr. Akagi (Imamura, 1998)

I also would like to see every Shohei Imamura film again but unfortunately some of my favorites (Profound Desire of the Gods, Eijanaika?) are still not available on video or dvd. This one is good although it has a lot of subplots and perhaps seems longer than it is because their only connection seems to be that they happen to the main character during the final days of WWII.

Out of all Shohei Imamura's films, this is the only one that I remember that actually has an unalloyed decent human being, not driven by selfish biological urges and capable of meaningful self-examination. Except for maybe Black Rain but that one doesn't even seem like the same director who made Profound Desire of the Gods to me. This one does though.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Great batch of reviews lines

I had the same reaction to Black Cat in terms of the 'anything could happen' vibe, even though it's made up of lots of staple sub-plots in theory. To the extent that I poorly shopped this rating together...

+ (random brassiness)

Have you seen Time of the Gypsies (1988), Golgot? Black Cat White Cat feels almost like a sequel to that movie and I think they go together very well.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I've been wanting to see it for ages. Unfortunately my DVD rental service has gone into 'any DVD but the ones you want' mode recently

A system of cells interlinked
Jaws (Spielberg, 1975)

The bomb. Every time I watch this film, it just keeps getting better. This is a notable fact because I have seen the film upwards of 50 or more times at this point.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A bit of an odd couple:

Pather Panchali (1955)

Mesmerising and thoroughly believable story of a family living in a Bengali village. Three dimensional characters and beautiful shots. Very long, I had to watch it in installments, but thoroughly recommended.

The Princess and the Frog (2009)

Took Friday to see this but to be honest it was way over his head. I'm not sure I've seen a non-cgi Disney movie since I got old enough to get into 15 rated films. This one reminded me a bit of The Little Mermaid (which, incidentally, is the first film I remember seeing at the cinema). The songs were cheery enough, the villain suitably scary and the plot a little more complex than I'd anticipated (certainly too much for Friday to follow). It seemed well made though, and I liked the setting and the slight twist on the traditional princess story right at the start.

(+ 1 star if you're a seven year old girl)

Pather Panchali (1955)...
Very long, I had to watch it in installments...
It's not that long, only a couple of hours. Maybe you watched the entire Apu Trilogy?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

500 Days of Summer

Basically it's your average 'indie' 'quirky' film, starring a kooky beauty called Summer (ha ha, see what they did there?) played by Zooey Deschanel, who doesn't do a bad job with such a badly written character and adds the only salvation. The lead guy was dull and boring and the dreadful attempts to make the film kooky (he works in a greetings card company! They listen to 60's music together! She has a funny name! Plus the countdown of the 500 days made the film seem infinitely long and the voiceover narrator was a dreadful idea). The director clearly had a few issues with his own love life but he needn't have bothered to make a film about it. It's like a geeky film student's attempt at 'payback'. And the ending is so cheesy you might just throw up.

It tries so hard to be cool and quirky that it ends up being more cringy than either of those things.

Vanya on 42nd Street

Unlike the above film, this film is genuinely 'indie'. Essentially it's a filmed rehearsal of a Chekhov play called Uncle Vanya, set in an abandoned theatre. It's sort of part-documentary, part-adaptation, and it works brilliantly. The metatheatre aspect doesn't detract at all from losing yourself in the play (and it's a great play anyway) and they get the Chekhovian mood right. The actors are all great- I particularly liked Larry Pine as dishy drunk doctor Astrov. Anybody who says that theatre can't translate to film, ought to watch this. I docked half a star only because you have to watch it in almost theatre conditions in order to immerse yourself in it; it's not a film you can keep pausing.

Rebecca

This is a brilliant adaptation of du Maurier's classic novel. For those unfamiliar with the story, an young orphaned woman marries a brooding older man who lives in a beautiful house and whose dead first wife, Rebecca, pervades the novel. Sounds a bit like Jane Eyre but the novel and this film are perfectly absorbing in their own right. Hitchcock weaves a suspensful tale of jealousy, obsession and murder and he was the perfect choice for directing- he brilliantly captures Rebecca's spirit and the suspense and intrigue of the novel. The second Mrs De Winter (whose first name is symbolically not revealed) is played by Joan Fontaine, who 4 years later would play Jane Eyre and the mysterious older man is played by Laurence Olivier, who although he was perhaps a little young for the role, does a brilliant job. And the woman playing Mrs Danvers is superbly chilling.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Miss Vicky, totally agree about Grosse Point Blank -- caught that on TV one day and enjoyed it a great deal.

Well, my son wanted to see the Eclipse, and well, I could not sit through another one of those horrendous movies, and none of his friends could go, so we separated at the theatre and I caught Tom Cruise's new flick.

Knight and Day

It seems that the news from yahoo over the weekend was how this film didn't take in as much money as it should have, since it starred Cruise. I gather the vultures were circling, spelling out of the end of his career... or something like that. While I think he's a bit nuts like everyone else, there is no denying in my mind that this is was a very enjoyable way to spend a summer afternoon and Cruise was the reason why.

This movie starts out pretty hysterically as our two main stars meet and get on an airplane. The theatre was pretty empty and it was a bit embarrassing as I could not help laughing out loud at quite a few moments in this movie. Cruise is having a blast making fun of his action persona. The plot is a bit weak and probably the weakest part of the film, but one gets the feeling it didn't really matter to the filmmakers. This is about the two characters and how they go from one fantastical and dangerous situation to another.

I enjoyed every minute of it.

This film should find an audience. While not as good as Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Cruise's performance was just the right tone with Diaz a strong supporting player.

I recommend this.

Inside Daisy Clover

I rewatched this the other night on TCM. It was Natalie Wood day. I was sorry I couldn't stay up and watch one of my favorite Wood films, This Property is Condemned, but it was rather interesting to catch this film again. I hadn't seen it in like 25 years or so....

As a girl, I was a HUGE Natalie Wood fan. I watched every film she made, and my one memory of this film was that last image on the beach when she yells, "someone declared war!" I hated the way the film just stopped like that. Watching it now, I still think it stops too abruptly, but I understood better why. Nevertheless, this is a curious film.

First, Wood plays Daisy in this rather quiet way where she is all eyes -- she is constantly observing those around her and not saying a whole lot. I found that rather jarring because I didn't really know Daisy. At the same time, Daisy is 17 and in a brand new world where adults are controlling her life. She follows the incredibly handsome Robert Redford (was there a more beautiful man? was there???) when they meet in the white bedroom; Redford plays the conflicted and cynical bisexual lover and he is in his prime. She listens to her ambitious studio boss, Christopher Plummer (as his slimiest), whose only desire is to make money and his final moments with Daisy makes for great melodrama when she sees exactly what she is to him -- a commodity. Both men play their parts well.

I think it was a mistake to have Wood once again play a singer and not sing, but on the other hand, I think Natalie had a charisma that surpassed so many others. Nevertheless, the only real spirit given to her Daisy is at the end. The direction of the breakdown scene with its use of sound and silence is gripping cinema and is a stand out piece of work. Wood pulls off Daisy's attempted suicide scene, with its borderline humor as she keeps getting interrupted. These are the two best scenes in the film.

Every Wood fan should see this film, I think...but I can't help but feel something is missing here. I felt it long ago, and I noticed it again the other night.

Maybe it was that abrupt ending. I sit there and want to know what happens next....

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It's not that long, only a couple of hours. Maybe you watched the entire Apu Trilogy?
It's about 2 1/2 hours. Which doesn't seem that long, but in the context of my free time in an evening, is. I certainly shall be watching the whole trilogy when I get the time...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here are some more:

Le deuxième souffle (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1966)
+ Art House Rating:

Long, complex Melville gangster film which delineates his theme of the symbiosis of the crook with the cop. Aging super-criminal Gu (Lino Ventura) escapes from prison and returns to the Parisian home of his lover Manouche (Christine Fabréga) who has recently been terrorized by some thugs from a rival gang. The police commissioner (Paul Meurisse) knows that Gu will turn up but before he can arrest him, Gu exacts revenge on the rival gang. Later, Gu goes to Marseille to plan a way to make enough quick money to get out of the country with Manouche, but the big heist he gets involved in turns to murder and double-crossing. Gu is eventually forced to try to prove to his own side and his rivals that he did not rat on his own friend. Melville presents the events in his usual deliberate style and pace, but if you enjoy his films, you'll like this one. It's almost two-and-a-half hours long which seems a bit of overkill for what actually happens in the film, but it's never really boring and does seem to get better as it moves to its inexorable conclusion.

Miss Julie (Mike Figgis, 1999)

This is an intense version of Strindberg's intense play, although it's not nearly as cinematic or striking as the 1951 version. It's set in 1894 Sweden and tells how Miss Julie (Saffron Burrows), the inexperienced daughter of the lord of the manor, confronts her father's footman Jean (Peter Mullan) and spends a long night in the kitchen talking with him about class, the world and their places in it. Their talk is mostly a battle of wits and wills with both sides attempting to turn the table on the other, but eventually both souls open up to share something a bit more tender. However, Jean's sexual knowledge eventually sets him above his "better", and while his fiancee (Marie Doyle Kennedy) sleeps nearby, he attempts to seduce Miss Julie. Director Figgis stages the scenes simply, mostly all in the estate's great kitchen, but the lead performances and the striking dialogue make the entire experience extremely intimate and threateningly real. Both performances are excellent, especially Burrows who imbues Miss Julie with both attogance and innocence and makes it easy for someone to fear for her future as the night progresses. Mullan plays the more-enigmatic Jean and finds a middle ground for him because you're never really sure if he's just being a bastard or truly cares for Miss Julie and is trapped outside his class and will never be able to rise above it. Overall, it's a well-done adaptation of a surprisingly still-modern play.

One, Two, Three (Billy Wilder, 1961)
(mafo MoFo Top 100 Film)

Machine-gun-paced Cold War comedy covers just about everything one could think of, not just what was happening in the divided city of Berlin at the time. James Cagney is a marvel as a Coca-Cola executive who has to "babysit" his boss's teenage daughter (Pamela Tiffin) and gets several headaches when she marries a young "Bolshevik" (Horst Buchholz) from East Berlin. The young woman's family is also on the way to Berlin to pick up their daughter, so Cagney has little time to straighten things out. There is also the usual high quota of sex jokes from scripters I.A.L. Diamond and Billy Wilder and a smart musical score which incorporates Khatchaturyan's "Sabre Dance". It's almost impossible to describe how fast the dialogue flies by as everyone speaks as quickly as possible and the plot twists come at such a frantic pace. Don't expect to go to the kitchen or the bathroom with the movie playing because you'll miss about 20 visual or verbal jokes a minute. Of course, the better-versed you are in the world history and popular culture of 1961, the more fun you'll have watching this terrific comedy, but it's also a great way to learn some of those things in between all the laughs.

Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary (Guy Maddin, 2002)

Only Guy Maddin would fashion a silent version of Bram Stroker's Dracula into a black-and-white ballet featuring Mahler symphonies. If you've seen Maddin, you'll know that he's fixated on silent film technique, and here he adds subtitles, color tinting and occasional color flourishes during the more-intense scenes. We also have an Assian actor playing the vampire roaming around England and finding plenty of victims for his nocturnal activities. The strange thing is that I find this one of the more-satisfying Dracula films and certainly my fave all-ballet film, so maybe it's not as wacko as it seems. Maddin also loves his kinkiness so this adaptation accents some of the themes often only hinted at in other vampire films. The 73-minute running time flies by, so if you're intrigued, give it a shot.

Die, Mommie, Die! (Mark Rucker, 2003)
+

Here is another offbeat adaptation; this time it's a satire of 1950s melodramas and the catch is that the lead female character is played by a man. Sure, it's been done before, but this one seems to wink a little less at the audience than others. Charles Busch adapts his own play and stars as the washed-up singer matriarch of a dysfunctional family. She's sleeping with an unemployed actor (Jason Priestley) despite the fact that her producer husband (Philip Baker Hall) has her on a short leash, and her daughter (Natasha Lyonne) doesn't trust her and her son (Stark Sands) especially need his mom right now. There is also a murder involved in the plot. The film is fun but isn't totally successful because most of the twists are predictable, but it's an easy enough way to spend 90 minutes, especially the more melodramas you've seen which were "made in Hollywood, U.S.A."

Jesus of Montreal (Denys Arcand, 1989)
(mafo MoFo Top 100 Film)

Beautiful, thought-provoking, irreverent, haunting, funny, sexy and deeply moving are all words I use to describe what I consider the greatest Jesus film ever made, Jesus of Montreal. It's set in present-day Montreal where a group of actors get together to put on an updated version of the Passion on the grounds of a Catholic church. The troupe's ostensible leader, Daniel (the incredible Lothaire Bluteau), who is to play Jesus, begins the film recruiting his apostles and before long it becomes apparent that almost everything which is happening in real life is a mirror of the Passion Play and the Gospels, often in strikingly original ways. Director/writer Arcand looks at things from many perspectives so you can never be sure what his personal agenda is, but one thing is for sure and that's if you're a believer, you should be able to put Jesus's life into a more-modern and personal context. If you hate "religious" movies, you will quickly see that this is not a religious film at all, yet it doesn't shy away from showing a powerful Jesus (both Biblical and "actor") who is totally capable of performing miracles which affect people's lives in the here and now. It's a wonderful film which seems to accomplish the impossible by presenting a potentially-polarizing subject in a very inclusive way. I think it can only disappoint the most-fundamentalist of churchgoers, but it will reward those with open hearts and minds. Besides that, it's damn entertaining. Two of my fave scenes are the low-budget special effects presentation of the beginning and ending of the world and the hilarious scene of dubbing a porno movie. However, it's the night-time Passion Play itself, which is so hypnotic and causes Daniel and his followers to get in trouble with the Catholic Church even though it's critically acclaimed and loved by the audiences.

Rosalie (W.S. Van Dyke, 1937)

Nelson Eddy stars in this musical without his usual co-star Jeannette MacDonald. Here he's teamed up with another musical superstar of the '30s, Eleanor Parker, and although this concoction is directed by Swifty Woody and has a top-notch supporting cast, it seems to go on forever. Eddy plays a West Point cadet who falls in love with a visiting European woman (Powell), not realizing that she's a princess. Although blessed with a Cole Porter score, it's a shame that the more-traditional patriotic Army songs seem to be more-memorable. Additionally, there's a tip-top supporting cast including Frank Morgan, Ray Bolger, Edna Mae Oliver and Billy Gilbert. Maybe I was in a bad mood or something because I would usually like this kind of silly movie, but it really seems to be at least a half-hour too long and not up to the usual MacDonald-Eddy standards.

On the Yard (Raphael D. Silver, 1978)

Little-seen prison drama is well-crafted and well-acted, but it's just not that different or special enough to make it very memorable. It mostly involves something resembling a power struggle between inmate Chilly (Thomas G. Waites), who basically runs the con side of the prison yard and wife murderer Juleson (John Heard) who owes Chilly but refuses to hide or back down from his everyday life when he cannot pay him back on time. There are three other significant inmates: old-time repeat offender Red (Mike Kellin), recently-returned Nunn (Richard Bright) and seemingly crazy Morris (Joe Grifasi) who's building a hot-air balloon to escape from prison. Meanwhile, the Captain of the Guards (Lane Smith) is trying to shut down Chilly and his operations and get Juleson to rat on him. Filmed on location at a Pennsylvania prison and using inmates as extras, the film is very realistic but it's also a tad too lowkey to turn itself into a good movie. Even so, if you like prison movie character studies where things don't exactly turn out the way you expect them, you could do worse.

Sitting Pretty (Walter Lang, 1948)
+

Mr. Belvedere teaches a baby an object lesson he'll never forget.

This is a hilarious film about problem children, nosy neighbors and their gossip, how difficult it is to maintain a happy marriage, and, most of all, a wonderfully-unique character, Lynn Belvedere (Clifton Webb), a "genius" who can do almost everything and turns the suburban community of Hummingbird Hill upside down and inside out in a very short while. The couple (Robert Young and Maureen O'Hara), who are desperate for a nanny/babysitter for their three frightful children, think they are getting a female for the job, but Mr. Belvedere proves to be too wonderful for them to ever get rid of, even when the nosiest neighbor (Richard Haydn) in film history gets people into trouble by trying to claim that some hanky panky is occurring under their roof. Just sit back and let all the clever dialogue, situations and acting produce several smiles on your face and out-loud laughs. Mr. Belvedere is one of the wittiest characters in film history, right up there with Webb's own Waldo Lydecker from Laura. It's just too bad that the two Mr. Belvedere sequels which turned up in the mid-1950s are so mediocre.

Alice in Wonderland (Clyde Geronomi, Wilfred Jackson, Hamilton Luske, 1951)
(mafo MoFo Top 100 Film)

Walt Disney hated this awesome version of the Lewis Carroll novel. He couldn't find anybody to root for and he found the lack of a strong story to be a huge roadblock. All I can say is I'm thankful that he didn't force the animation and writing team to change the incredibly surreal and uproarious content of this, my vote for the greatest traditional animated film ever made. I don't really want to go into how fast-paced and insane this film is, but it's a non-stop assault on the pomposity of logic and staid Victorian England which is also still able to include digs at many modern foibles which humans have in our current day and age, among them being rude and in far too much of a hurry to even say good day. It's also a potent political satire when we get to the Red Queen and how all things must be her way. There are so many wonderfully-drawn and beautifully-voiced characters that it's unfair to single some out, but I have to mention the Cheshire Cat (Sterling Holloway), the Caterpillar (Richard Haydn), the Mad Hatter (Ed Wynn) and the March Hare (Jerry Colonna). The crazy songs are frosting on the cake and a perfect aural counterpoint to the mind-blowing visuals. Some of this movie, especially the incredible opening scene, seems to be almost shot in 3-D.

Blackboard Jungle (Richard Brooks, 1955)

This movie is mostly remembered as the film which brought rock and roll to big-budget Hollywood films. It begins and ends with "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and the Comets. It's also noteworthy for early performances by overage high school delinquents Sidney Poitier, Vic Morrow, Jamie Farr and Paul Mazursky. Basically, it's a naive telling of problems in inner-city schools, yet it's actually still pertinent to this day in the way it tries to get teachers who want to teach together with students who want to learn and improve themselves. Of course, the problem is that poverty and ignorance are so pervasive with many students and too many teachers find it difficult to enlighten minds when they have to be a policeman babysitter, so it's very difficult for the two sides to get together, especially in the face of peer pressure on both sides. So even though the film is dated, it still works for the most part and is a nice document of several juicy performances.

The Delinquents (Robert Altman, 1957)

Director Altman's first feature film (he wrote the script in five days) is a foray into juvenile delinquents roaming Kansas City, Missouri, looking for people to rob and abuse. Caught in the middle of their crime spree are good teenager Scotty (Tom Laughlin) and his sweetheart Janice (Rosemary Howard). The couple's problems start when her parents decide that the kids are too serious and forbid Scotty from seeing Jancie. Here is where the leaders of the delinquents, Billy (Peter Miller) and Eddy (Richard Bakalyan), make their move to make the couple's life a living hell. The film starts out with a narrated prologue which makes it sound like an Ed Wood flick, but the studio added this against Altman's wishes. In general, the film operates on a higher technical and acting level than those of Wood, and it's reasonably watchable despite the overlit interior and exterior scenes. Altman admits that nobody knew what they were doing, but this, a James Dean docu and his many shorts got him plenty of work directing TV shows for the next decade. It's also fun to see Laughlin one year before he played a naval pilot in South Pacific and a full decade before he did his first Billy Jack role.

Les Miserables (1935)

Hollywood version of Victor Hugo's epic novel. Jean Valjean, a convict, manages to turn his life around, but he is relentlessly persued by Javert, a fanatic policeman who cannot believe that a convict can redeem himself.

Considering this film is just under 2 hours, it manages to pack a lot in. I'd rather they'd added another hour or so on though, so they could increase the screen time of Eponine (can't remember the actress's name but she was very good) and not have to rush parts. It's not a particularly faithful adaptation- in this one there's no sight of a prostitute, Cosette gets to meet her mother, the revolution is pretty small scale, and Eponine is a secretary of Marius's.

Frederic March does an incredible job of playing Jean Valjean's redemption and presence. The downside is that however much facial hair they stick on him, he still looks gorgeous, and his relationship with the grown up version of Cosette- his adoptive daughter- has a weird undertone to it (that's them in the pic). Marius is not particularly interesting or good-looking and Javert doesn't age much at all (it takes place over quite a long time period).

However, despite the flaws, it is a gripping pacy film.