The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm sure for you youngins it is difficult to imagine, but before even cable TV became an outlet, the only way you saw movies was either in the theater or when they were broadcast on TV. Very different world.
And, the time in between theatrical releases and TV broadcasts was often YEARS, not six months.

I said I was going to do this for every ten but fell behind, but yeah, quick checkup on the list so far

100.Logan's Run
99. The Omen
98. Being There
97. Fantastic Planet

96. All That Jazz
95. Breaking Away
94. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

93. The Holy Mountain
92. Jeremiah Johnson
91. Sleuth

90. The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
89. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
88. The Tenant
87. Saturday Night Fever

86. Autumn Sonata
85. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
-
84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
LIST #11
83. Straw Dogs
-
82. F for Fake
+
81. The Man Who Would Be King

80. Assault on Precinct 13
79. The Wicker Man
+
78. MASH
+
77. Mean Streets

76. Hausu
-
75. All the President's Men
-
74. Paper Moon
73. Marathon Man
72. Don't Look Now
+ LIST #19
71. The Conformist
LIST #5

70. Mad Max
-
69. The Muppet Movie

Seen 15/32

Almost seen half, I expect to have seen most of the top sixty, so I should have a nice total overall.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Only seen ten.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've seen them all, but if you were as old, crazy and as much a bum as I, you would too.

The People's Republic of Clogher
And, the time in between theatrical releases and TV broadcasts was often YEARS, not six months.
And the studios didn't even wanting you buying the flippin' VHS tapes!

I remember when we got our first VCR the only movie that could be bought in Ireland for months was Crocodile Dundee, and the tape cost £75.

100.Logan's Run

99. The Omen

98. Being There
97. Fantastic Planet

96. All That Jazz
95. Breaking Away
94. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
93. The Holy Mountain
92. Jeremiah Johnson
91. Sleuth

90. The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

89. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
88. The Tenant
87. Saturday Night Fever

86. Autumn Sonata
85. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
83. Straw Dogs

82. F for Fake
81. The Man Who Would Be King

80. Assault on Precinct 13

79. The Wicker Man

78. MASH
77. Mean Streets

76. Hausu -
75. All the President's Men
74. Paper Moon
73. Marathon Man
72. Don't Look Now

71. The Conformist

70. Mad Max

69. The Muppet Movie

Seen 12/32
My list 1/25

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm not a fan of "Mad Max", but I love "The Muppet Movie" It was #21 on my list, and only the second movie from my list to show up in the countdown so far.

I've seen "The Muppet Movie" well over 100 times, thanks to a child that I used to babysit for back in the mid-1980s. He wouldn't go to sleep unless he watched "The Muppet Movie" first, and then he was a little angel, and went to bed happy. I didn't mind because the movie is so good that I enjoyed it as much as he did. Jim Henson was a genius.

As big as a fan of Sci Fi and the Mad Max series that I am, I didn't vote for Mad Max.
I would have voted for Road Warrior and Beyond Thunder Doom if I had been at MoFo for the 80s list.

Christine, That's interesting about Mad Max being dubbed. I'm in the USA and to my knowledge, I've never seen a British film dubbed with American actors voices.

Sometimes I've had such a hard time understanding fast spoken 'street' British dialogue that I had to go to English Subtitles to understand the movie.

Made in Dagenham, a well made, fine movie, but I could understand only about a 1/3rd of the spoken language.

And the studios didn't even wanting you buying the flippin' VHS tapes!

I remember when we got our first VCR the only movie that could be bought in Ireland for months was Crocodile Dundee, and the tape cost £75.
and there were dodgy shops that had pirate video tapes under the counter (not blue ones! ) - terrible quality they were too but you hired them cos you wanted to see the film. Sometimes the shop got closed down before you took the tape back! I've still got a copy of Wolfen somewhere acquired like that. There's a film you never hear much about but the steadicam work from the pov of the wolf was striking at the time

As big as a fan of Sci Fi and the Mad Max series that I am, I didn't vote for Mad Max.
I would have voted for Road Warrior and Beyond Thunder Doom if I had been at MoFo for the 80s list.

Christine, That's interesting about Mad Max being dubbed. I'm in the USA and to my knowledge, I've never seen a British film dubbed with American actors voices.

Sometimes I've had such a hard time understanding fast spoken 'street' British dialogue that I had to go to English Subtitles to understand the movie.

Made in Dagenham, a well made, fine movie, but I could understand only about a 1/3rd of the spoken language.
CR, no I've not seen a British film dubbed in American voices, only subtitles ones. Maybe Brits can understand films with regional American accents cos we're so used to watching American films anyway. There are a lot of British regional accents (sometimes they're different just a couple of miles away from each other) but not that many films using them , specially not old films where everyone seemed to speak posh except for the obligatory cockney charwoman or barmaid

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've seen The Muppet Movie. Its not bad but I honestly didn't think it would make it. Perhaps there is hope for some films i was starting to count out. So now I'm up to seven. Like everyone else practically, I assume I will have seen much more of the top 50.

Speak posh? would that mean the same as the phrase, "speaking the Queen's English"?
well I was going to say they spoke RP but I didn't know if you'd know what I was on about!

Received Pronunciation - see we even have an accent that isn't supposed to be an accent!

we'll be getting told off in a min by Holden for going off topic - sorry HP !

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Mad Max is the worst film on here so far.

Haven't seen The Muppet Movie yet.

I've seen about half of the movies so far.

HOLDIE HAWN!

You have Mad Max listed as a 1977 film:

Isn't it a 1979 film?

IMDB.com has it listed as 1979.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	MM.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	16545