The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I watched the The Limey during this countdown, after Holden posted a .gif from it. Which turned out to be a .gif from my favorite scene of the film, with Bill Duke and Terence Stamp. Had I seen it sooner I might have considered it for my ballot, excellent neo-noir, really enjoyed it.

Instead I went with another neo-noir starring Terence Stamp. The Hit from 1984 directed by Stephen Frears who also did The Grifters. About a couple of hitmen (Tim Roth and John Hurt) on a hit job/road trip along the Spanish countryside accompanied by cool theme music from Roger Waters and Eric Clapton. It was number fifteen on my ballot.

25. Mirage (1965)
22. In the Heat of the Night (1967)
18. High and Low (1963)
17. The Driver (1978)
15. The Hit (1984)
14. Collateral (2004)
11. Get Carter (1971)
08. The Hot Spot (1990)
06. Thief (1981)
05. Blow Out (1981)
04. One False Move (1992)

Stephen Frears' The Hit is a good one, an underrated/underseen '80s Neo Noir. Though his best Noir definitely made the countdown (The Grifters, #45).

In my write up of The Limey I forgot to mention that this stylized revenge odyssey through Los Angeles is also funny. Bill Duke gets a nice laugh in this scene...

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Hard to argue with Altman today, so I think that will be the pick - that is also my guess for today, to be clear. Outside chance it's L.A. Confidential, though.

Meanwhile, speaking of L.A. again... I just realized Devil in a Blue Dress didn't make the countdown, wasn't a one-pointer, and wasn't on the bubble. Wow! Devil in a Blue Dress was easily one of my wife's and my favorites as we watched films up to the deadline.

Instead I went with another neo-noir starring Terence Stamp. The Hit from 1984 directed by Stephen Frears who also did The Grifters. About a couple of hitmen (Tim Roth and John Hurt) on a hit job/road trip along the Spanish countryside accompanied by cool theme music from Roger Waters and Eric Clapton. It was number fifteen on my ballot.
Tim Roth has a great story about totaling a car during the making of The Hit. Jump to about the 5:15 spot in the video...

Tim Roth has a great story about totaling a car during the making of The Hit. Jump to about the 5:15 spot in the video...

This was a great listen. Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of Los Angeles, for today's reveal I'll guess it's Bob Altman's turn: The Long Goodbye.
Hard to argue with Altman today, so I think that will be the pick - that is also my guess for today, to be clear. Outside chance it's L.A. Confidential, though.
I'm sticking with Le Samurai as my guess for today.
Anybody else?

Meanwhile, speaking of L.A. again... I just realized Devil in a Blue Dress didn't make the countdown, wasn't a one-pointer, and wasn't on the bubble. Wow! Devil in a Blue Dress was easily one of my wife's and my favorites as we watched films up to the deadline.
I remember seeing this back in the 90s and liking it, but it's been too long. Should probably rewatch it.

Devil in a Blue Dress is terrific, especially Don Cheadle's supporting character Mouse. Wish it had been successful enough, financially, that the same team had adapted a couple more of the novels, but alas. Directed by Carl Franklin (One False Move). I kind of expected it to show on the countdown but the 1990s was a very rich time for Neo Noir and some were bound to get lost in the shuffle, unfortunately, including another title from my Top Ten.

A system of cells interlinked
Devil in a Blue Dress is terrific, especially Don Cheadle's supporting character Mouse. Wish it had been successful enough, financially, that the same team had adapted a couple more of the novels, but alas. Directed by Carl Franklin (One False Move). I kind of expected it to show on the countdown but the 1990s was a very rich time for Neo Noir and some were bound to get lost in the shuffle, unfortunately, including another title from my Top Ten.
With Cheadle and frippin' Denzel Washington, coupled with it totally nailing the era and noir style, I figured it would easily make Top 50.

I love the way the photo from the Memento poster looks with that setup, like it's just another item on the blotter.

Anyway, carry on. Oh and yeah, great film. 'Member when Nolan hadn't gotten popular enough to be reflexively hated? Okay, that was a little trolly. I'll leave now.

Got caught up with stuff at work. Will post reveal in a couple of minutes.

18lists310points
Le Samouraï
Director

Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967

Starring

Alain Delon, François Périer, Nathalie Delon, Cathy Rosier

TRAILERS

Le Samouraï - After a professional hitman is seen by a woman during a job, he has to go on the run from the police as well as those that ordered the murder.

NOIR OR NOT? - LE SAMOURAI ('67)

Noir expert Eddie Muller shares some brief thoughts on Le Samouraï.

This is one that I discovered recently and fell in love with its style. Here is a bit of what I wrote back then, and my full review:

This film came highly recommended by many, and you can easily understand why. It is stylish as hell, and Costello is cool as ice. But in addition to that, Melville manages to create a very solid atmosphere of tension, despite the simplicity of the story. As we follow Jef, and we see the machinations around him, we can't help but root for him.
I respect how lean and simple it is, even if I wanted a bit more here and there. But still, love how cool it is. I had it at #15.

SEEN: 68/94
MY BALLOT: 21/25

My ballot