The End of DVDs?

Tools    

Well, you already know it's going to happen sometime. The only question you face is when. VHS tapes are out of the market now, because DVDs took their place. I have a feeling that Blu-Ray will take over DVDs, and they won't make them anymore. Does anybody feel this way too? I'm pretty sure it's going to happen.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I dont think Blu-Ray will be all that, if anything streaming over Tv and computer will overtake DVDs.

I don't think this needs a thread. As far as i'm concerned, BluRay won't overtake DVD because they're too similar formats, there's no great advantage of one over the other besides quality and for a lot of people, DVDs have only just began to replace VHS so imagine another jump won't be welcomed for that alone. Not to mention the fact there's still plenty of films not even on DVD at all yet and many obscure ones that won't be worth a BluRay release while they retail for so much. Lastly, i think digital and online will be the next format after DVD.

I don't think this needs a thread.
Agreed. We already have at least two threads devoted to very similar discussions but for whatever reason the kid just can't contribute to an existing thread, he/she always feels the need to start his/her own so no one will be able to mistake his/her "take" on said issue.

As far as i'm concerned, BluRay won't overtake DVD because they're too similar formats, there's no great advantage of one over the other besides quality and for a lot of people, DVDs have only just began to replace VHS so imagine another jump won't be welcomed for that alone. Not to mention the fact there's still plenty of films not even on DVD at all yet and many obscure ones that won't be worth a BluRay release while they retail for so much. Lastly, i think digital and online will be the next format after DVD.
I'm Wit Ya...

BANNED
No where near it. And when that does happen it will be a long time from now

You ready? You look ready.
Not even close...

The Dark Knight alone has 12 millions copies sold in the last 6 weeks. That's 2 million a week, and if you add up all the sales for this week's DVD releases you get a number of 1.5 million. DVD is far, far, far away from disappearing with numbers like those.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

It's no where close to the end of DVDs, and even if it is I definitely don't think Blu-Ray is the format that's going to take it down. I personally don't think that Blu-Ray is gonna last, but that's just my opinion.

I will throw a fit if online streaming replaces DVDs. As far as Blu-Ray replacing DVDs, I feared that at first but now I don't think it'll happen. DVDs are just so strong.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I cant see this happening for a long time and certainly wont be Blu-Ray that ends DVDs. Blu-Ray hasnt been around that long I know but I dont think it has made an impact as DVD did when that first came out.

A system of cells interlinked
I will throw a fit if online streaming replaces DVDs. As far as Blu-Ray replacing DVDs, I feared that at first but now I don't think it'll happen. DVDs are just so strong.
Why would you throw a fit? I tend to agree about the streaming issue, in that it will become the dominant format eventually.

DVD players will keep developing till they're nearly computers and computers will keep adapting for the home movie audience. Eventually the two will become one

You ready? You look ready.
I don't see streaming replacing DVDs. In order for this to happen every household would have to have a sizable Internet speed, and I don't see that happening for a very, very long time...if at all.

Movie Forums Extra
I give it a year and dvds won`t be number 1 anymore

Well, it seems everyone is echoing what I said a while back, it's all digital baby! It's the next logical step in convenience and quality. ...also, like I said, at some point HD will hit a ceiling in terms of having a clear picture. Movies will be reduced to intangible data on a storage unit, for example; Xbox live.

...uh the post is up there...

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
A bunch a small talk to me. MEH!

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

The King of Movies
Blue Ray won't. Why would any one want to pay 10-15 dollars more for the same movie just with a slightly better picture quality (and if you have a crap TV, it won't matter anyway). I don't have that kind of money to waste.

eg. Die Hard on DVD is for $10 while the Blue Ray verson is $25. It is the same movie just more expensive. In Australia, it is even more extreme though. Some times movies in the clearance bin go for like AU$7 while their Blue Ray verson is seriously like AU$40. Why would you pay that much more?

I'm more worried about internet streeming though.

Ya know, the one big advantage to the dvd format is the recording capabilities, as far as I know, there are no Blu-ray recorders, and I love my dvd recorder.

One man for the job but the right man
I think it will happen soon... it seems to happen not only to videos but audio as well... Remember the days when cassettes were the way people used to listen to music? Then Compact Disks (CDs) came out and took over and now they no longer make cassettes anymore. Just like that, and just like DVD taking over VHS, I have a feeling Blu-ray will take over DVD's. What do you guys think?