The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... GONE BABY GONE

RT – 94%, IMDb – 7.6

Roger Ebert said:

"What I like about the movie is the way Ben Affleck and his brother, both lifelong Bostonians, understand the rhythm of a society in which people not only live in one another's pockets but are trying to slash their way out." (read full document here)
Cynthia Fuchs, from Pop Matters, said:

"Part noir, part moralizing, and part urban-malaisey, the movie offers an assembly of seedy sorts who make Patrick’s quest look increasingly hopeless but also ineffably gallant." (read full review here)
@Yoda said:

"Gone Baby Gone [...] refuses to be pegged. The audience is alternatingly made to believe that the film is about despair, redemption, and agonizing choices, as layer upon layer is stripped away, revealing an increasingly complex plot that takes on a new meaning and gives the film a new message with every reveal." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... KLUTE

RT – 93%, IMDb – 7.1

Roger Ebert said:

"In Klute you don't have two attractive acting vacuums reciting speeches at each other. With Fonda and Sutherland, you have actors who understand and sympathize with their characters, and you have a vehicle worthy of that sort of intelligence. So the fact that the thriller stuff doesn't always work isn't so important." (read full document here)
Karli Lukas, from Senses of Cinema, said:

"An interesting hybrid of film noir, it pits hardboiled cynicism against warm romanticism. Its three main characters project their frustrations and insecurities onto their surrounding environment as they succumb to the pressure of trying to keep their secreted desires in check." (read full review here)
@Daniel M said:

"This film however is like no other noir, much more focussed as a character study and also a study of the dark underworld in which they are involved. Like our title character, we are drawn into this world slowly; with not much to go by he is soon shown the unsympathetic workings of the life of Bree." (read full review here)

Seen both, like both, recommend both, didn't vote for both.

I've seen Gone Baby Gone twice and thought it blends the right amount of suspense, thrills, and mystery in an effective and smart way.. The acting is quite good and it has a really strong ensemble with no weak performances. Gone Baby Gone made my ballot at # 21. Klute I have seen once and did not like at all, rating it a 5/10.

Seen: 28/38

Seen Gone Baby Gone a few times over the years. I really love it but didn’t consider it for my list. I don’t know exactly where the line between neo noir and crime drama is in my pea brain, but I did draw it while making my list. Could be different next time, but here we are.

Watched Klute a couple years ago and didn’t care for it much at all.

Gone Baby Gone - My mind initially thought this was Gone Girl when I read the title and wondered how that would be considered neo-noirs. I have seen neither of the "Gone" movies (unrelated) I just mentioned.

Klute - A number of 70s political thrillers have been on my to eventually watch list. This is one of them. I don't know if any of them crossed my mind that they might be considered neo-noir. I don't think they did.

Klute is a banger. Must have had it somewhere on my list. Probably pretty high up, if I was being smart.

Gone Baby Gone is the kind of movie that seems genetically designed to not matter to me. It exists and I'm sure it still exists and I'm already half asleep considering those facts.

I have seen neither of the "Gone" movies (unrelated) I just mentioned.

This is acceptable. One is irrelevant and the other one sucks.

Klute - A number of 70s political thrillers have been on my to eventually watch list. This is one of them.

Unacceptable!

I've heard of both, but haven't gotten around to watching either yet.

I didn't care too much for Gone Girl Gone but it's okay I will give it that. Klute is one of those that have been on my watchlist for at least ten years. I'm getting closer to watching it I swear.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I was just talking to my wife about Gone Baby Gone this morning after we watched Casey Affleck in Oppenheimer a couple of days ago. I was telling her she needs to see it again. We saw it soon after it came out and neither one of us cared for it. We must have been drunk or fighting because when I watched it again for a recent HoF I absolutely loved it. I fully admit that it appears that I have a strong bias towards Boston based films.

Saw Klute once and I didn't like it.

1. Killer Joe (#66)
3. Gone Baby Gone (#64)
9. Mona Lisa (#78)
12. Body Double (#69)
15. The Driver (#79)
21. Manhunter (#77)

Klute is ok and on my neo noir top hundred but in the 80-100 section. Didn't appreciate Jane Fonda's hair style in this one. Donald Sutherland played as Donald Sutherland. And Roy Scheider is pretty good as 'bad guy'. He played an exceptional pimp in Klute and we might also see him as a convincing crime lord later on in Romeo is Bleeding.
No votes today.

SEEN: 34/38
BALLOT: 5/25

If you look at my political thrillers blindspots, it's kind of wild. It's like like I haven't watched any of the big ones:

The Parallax View, Three Days of the Condor, Marathon Man, The Day of the Jackal. What's weird is, it's not like it's a genre that doesn't appeal to me either. I have no good reason why I've never done a deep dive into them.

I have seen Blow-Up and Blow-Out though. Neither of them 70s. I've had a bit of a movie malaise the last few months. Just working through them might be what I need after getting through my blindspots of Ken Russell films leaving the criterion channel soon.

I've not seen Klute, I would like to catch it one of these days.

I did see Gone Baby Gone in the 31st HoF and liked it. I wrote this:
Gone Baby Gone ( 2007)
*spoilers*

Amy Ryan rocked her role! She flat out was my favorite in this movie and I wish she had more scenes. Kudos to Casey Affleck who's one of my favorite currently working actors...he was perfectly cast here. While I'm praising the cast, a big shout out to Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris too. The only misstep in casting was Michelle Monaghan. Maybe it's not her fault as her character was basically tacked on and she wasn't really utilized until the end scene were Patrick (Casey Affleck) has a choice to be made.

I liked that idea of the choice between doing what might seem right even though it's against the law...or following the law because it is what's legally right. I liked the way the film wrapped with Patrick choosing to follow the law which causes his girlfriend to leave him. It seemed like an appropriate choice for a young person to make with his strong belief in ethics. But being older I can relate to Morgan Freeman's idea of the letter of the law isn't always the way to achieve the most fairest results. I liked the conundrum the movie presented.

I loved the use of the urban settings in Boston and what appeared to me to be real people from the streets of Boston. Or maybe they were actors who just looked authentic. Either way the film had a nice, real vibe to it. I liked that.

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. have seen both films once. remember thinking gone baby gone was fine but the kind of film where i would get all i was going to get out of it in a single viewing. definitely appreciated klute more and i have been meaning to revisit it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Can I ask why? You sound very adamant, so just wondering if you objected to something done in the film or just flat out didn't like it?

It didn't engage me much but mostly it was just the plausibility of it all. It's been too long since I saw it to get into specifics but I remember not liking it due to that.