Fight Club
1.It was directed by David Fincher.
2.It had Brad Pitt.
3.It had Edward Norton.
4.An amazing soundtrack.
5.One of the best endings ever.
6.It's amazingly funny.
7.It leaves you feeling changed.
8.The effects were great.(as always, Fincher)
9.It's highly addictive.
10.It's an amazing story.

"There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence." Alex (A Clockwork Orange)

If you've been making two to three posts in a row in all these threads just to make a, "Help me with a movie title, please." thread...So help me...
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I think he's sincere. Just a little short winded in his writing. Then again I'm too trusting. That's probably why I no longer have a left arm....

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Strummer521
I think he's sincere. Just a little short winded in his writing. Then again I'm too trusting. That's probably why I no longer have a left arm....

You're a Genius all the time

Shallow Grave (Danny Boyle - 1994)

1 Sometime during my junior year of college, my roommate and I were forced to take in a third roomy for a semester. We made him watch Shallow Grave with us his very first day and afterwards he refused to speak to either one of us for like a week. Hilarious.

2 Christopher Eccleston as David. He's fantastic. Not too many actors could pull off the kind of transformation David goes through in this film, but Eccleston is flawless.

3 How about the attic? When I think back on this film, the frequent shots of that dark, gaping attic seem to stand out the most in my mind. One of the most enduring, iconic images of 90's cinema.

4 Shallow Grave is so damn funny. There are very few movies that make me smile as much as this one does. A tremendous undercurrent of pitch-black comedy throughout.

5 Ewan McGregor as Alex. I mean... wow. A tour de flippin' force. He doesn't do a single thing in this film that doesn't work.

6 How about that music? Too many of these types of films go for a bombastic score when a light touch would work so much better. This one is perfect. Very understated, but very effective.

7 Shallow Grave is the closest thing to Hitchcock I have ever seen. And yes, I'm familiar with the collective works of Brian DePalma.

8 Kerry Fox as Juliet. Masterful performance. What more could you possibly ask for such an underwritten character?

9 I do not get squeamish. Not at movies. Not anywhere. But I was more than a little bothered by the scene when poor David is tasked with dealing with their little mess in the woods. Kudos, Danny Boyle.

10 And how about that ending? The final standoff, the bloody crescendo, Juliet's scream, Alex's smile, David's eyes and the Andy William's cue. Perfection.

"Oh yes, I believe in friends. I believe we need them. But if one day you find you just can't trust them any more, well... what then? What then?"

The People's Republic of Clogher
Aye, great choice.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

Dumb and Dumber (Farrelly bros. 1994)
  1. So many classic gags
  2. It is the ultimate buddy movie
  3. It has a very good soundtrack
  4. Two words: Shaggin' Wagon
  5. It is very quoteable
    Our pets heads are falling off!
  6. Lauren Holly is pretty hot
  7. You sold our dead parrot to a blind kid!? Petey didn't even have a head!
  8. It is just fun
  9. Even the title is funny.
  10. Everything the Farrelly bros. touch is gold.

-It is the ultimate buddy movie
-I love

Originally Posted by nebbit
I love Shallow Grave
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Aye, great choice
Yeah, Shallow Grave has always been a favorite of mine. For anyone who cares to see it, here's that fantastic final act:

I couldn't agree more SpaztheGeek!

.....doesn't know what to put here!
I am so embarrased to write this but i'm sure Jennings Lang will appreciate it....

The Concorde ... Airport '79

1-I enjoyed the film's humour
2-George Kennedy was in top form
3-There are some very nice shots of The Concorde
4-Some of the special effects were pretty good (though most wern't)
5-It was just one of those films that is just "solid entertainment"
6-The score was good to my knowledge
7-Apart from most of it's special effects, the film makes a decent job at making a highly unlikely plot work
8-There are some funny characters on the Concorde (e.g. The Saxaphone Guy)
9-The film doesn't take long to "kick-in"
10-It gives you a good feeling

Theres one BIG thing i'd like to pick a bone with, most of the special effects were crap, come on Jennings Lang, you could've put a bit of effort into making the special effects more realistic, a plane
WARNING: "Airport '79" spoilers below
Narrowly missing the ocean by making a last second 90 degree jolt
is bound to get negative reaction, not to mention the
Plane narrowly missing the rocket looks fake and George Kennedy sticking his head out the window while going at the speed of sound is also stupid
but aside from that BIG complaint, i really liked The Concorde .. Airport '79!

BOOGIE NIGHTS

This is my Favorite movie ever and here's why.

1. Several amazing tracking shots that seem acrobatic to pull off. In particular when the camera goes into the pool I thought that was amazing, although I heard its homage to some movie called I am Cuba.

2. Marky-Mark giving a decent performance for once, if thats not PT Anderson's doing than I don't know what.

3. Naked Heather Graham, yeah thats right I'll be shallow.

4. Hearing John C. Reilly and Mark Whalburg sing "You got the touch."

5. A very quotable movie.

"You shouldn't of done this donkey dick!"
"Everybodies got their one special thing"

6. The most sastisfying mix of Drama and Comedy in my opinion.

7. The fact that movie is basically about how a guy with a really big dong and no brains makes it or doesn't in the world.

8. A massive and powerful cast Phillip Seymour Hoffman, John C. Reilly, Burt Reynolds, Marky- Mark- Don Cheadle, Heather Graham, Thomas Jane, Julianne Moore, and Wlliam H. Macy.

9. The scene lifted from the Wonderland murders is probably my favorite scene in film history.

10. How its kind of a sweet movie about the families that you make.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I am so embarrased to write this but i'm sure Jennings Lang will appreciate it....

The Concorde ... Airport '79

1-I enjoyed the film's humour
2-George Kennedy was in top form
3-There are some very nice shots of The Concorde
4-Some of the special effects were pretty good (though most wern't)
5-It was just one of those films that is just "solid entertainment"
6-The score was good to my knowledge
7-Apart from most of it's special effects, the film makes a decent job at making a highly unlikely plot work
8-There are some funny characters on the Concorde (e.g. The Saxaphone Guy)
9-The film doesn't take long to "kick-in"
10-It gives you a good feeling

Theres one BIG thing i'd like to pick a bone with, most of the special effects were crap, come on Jennings Lang, you could've put a bit of effort into making the special effects more realistic, a plane
Narrowly missing the ocean by making a last second 90 degree jolt
is bound to get negative reaction, not to mention the
Plane narrowly missing the rocket looks fake and George Kennedy sticking his head out the window while going at the speed of sound is also stupid
but aside from that BIG complaint, i really liked The Concorde .. Airport '79!
Number 1 is understandable. It's a hoot-and-a-half, and those spoilers only add to it.

Welcome to the human race...
This Is Spinal Tap

1. The band.

2. Everyone else in the movie.

3. The sight gags.

4. The dialogue.

5. The songs.

6. The drama.

7. The end.

8. The originality.

9. The satire.

10. The sheer kick I get out of showing it to my mates.

11. It's one better, isn't it?

Raising Arizona (The Coen Brothers - 1987)

1 It is so easy to get caught up in the spirit of this film. Raising Arizona has such a genuine, intangible quality to it. It's perfect and infectious and I never get tired of watching it.

2 The Coens get an awful lot of credit for their authentic Minnesota dialogue from Fargo. But for my money, the idiosyncratic speech patterns in Raising Arizona are much more effective and a whole heck of a lot more fun. "Now what's it gonna be, young feller? You want I should freeze, or get down on the ground? 'Cause if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop. And if'n I drop, I'm gonna be in motion."

3 Leonard Smalls, The Lone Biker of the Apocalypse, is the single greatest villain in the history of cinema. He is evil personified and his presence elevates this film to something really special.

4 Maybe the biggest reason Raising Arizona is so much damn fun is Barry Sonnenfeld's trademark flamboyant camerawork. He really is on the top of his game here. The closeups, the quick cuts and everything else he does is just fantastic.

5 The scene in which Gale and Evelle Snoats bust out of prison pretty much sums up the film for me. So perfect, it truly puts the Andy Dufrense/Tim Robbins jail break scene to shame. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Isn't John Goodman great?

6 I've never been a big Nicholas Cage fan. But I'd be hard pressed to think of an actor who could have pulled off H.I. McDunnough any better than he did. "There's what's right, and then there's what's right. And never the 'twain shall meet."

7 The music by longtime Coen's collaborater fits this film like a glove. Sweet and soft if the scene calls for it, Burwell doesn't shy away from dialing it up a notch to incessant yodeling spins on Christmas carols for the more energetic sequences.

8 No gag in this thing fails for me. That's rare. Even the best screwball comedies can't avoid being a little uneven. But the Coens' films have never followed formula and Raising Arizona is no exception. There isn't a single joke here that doesn't bring a smile to my face.

9 Nathan Arizona Sr. is a very funny person. And I mean very funny. "I don't know, they're jammies! They had Yodas and **** on 'em!"

10 And how about the showcase chase scene in the middle of the film? Just plain fun. Little Nathan Jr.'s reaction shots, the handheld-cam run through the house, the dogs, Ed, the yodeling, the Huggies and everything else. "Nathan needs some Huggies... I'll be out directly."

"And the doc went on to explain that this woman, who looked as fertile as the Tennessee Valley, could bear no young. Her insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase."

The Empire Strikes Back:

1. Darth Vader goes from clumsy lackey in ANH to the hand of the Emperor. He kills indiscriminately in this one. He's tame again in ROTJ.

2. The Rebel base on Hoth. There are droids and boxes everywhere, people are welding, there's hoses and cables dangling, it all looks authentic and "rag-tag". The hangar looks perfect.

3. The Imperial Walker attack is the best use of stop motion in cinematic history. Twenty eight years later, it is still believable visually. Great sound effects, too.

4. Dagobah. It stays true to Joseph Campbell's "sacred grove", where the Hero discovers his abilities and meets his spiritual guide. It is dark and murky but living and natural, as opposed to the cold and metallic Empire.

5. The lightsaber duel. Luke confronts Vader before he is ready and pays the price for it. He learns the identity of the villain and the truth about his father.

6. The bounty hunters. Unlike his stuffy bureaucratic Imperial underlings, Vader is clever enough to hire a motley crue of bounty hunters to do his dirty work.

7. Carbon freezing chamber. Han is doomed, and Boba Fett and Vader are great in this scene. This is the "underworld" done perfectly.

8. The escape from Bespin. Probably the most intense music in the Star Wars Saga. Luke is maimed, Leia and Chewie are mourning Han, Lando is frustrated, Vader is on their tail, and Artoo saves the day!

9. Vader's meditation chamber and holographic transmission to the Emperor. I love this scene, especially the new footage using Ian McDiarmid. Vader takes a knee and flat out lies to his master. His master knows it. The game begins!

10. The cave at Dagobah. Luke disregards Yoda's advice and takes his anger and impatience to the cave. He sees what he will become if he doesn't straighten up!

I am burdened with glorious purpose

Dances With Wolves (1990)

1. The Cinematography by Dean Semler. The landscapes of South Dakota made for a simply breathtaking film. Costner's response to those that thought they waited and waited for gorgeous sunsets: "We were on a budget; those were the sunsets we shot."

2. The three hour running time and a return to the "epic." There are times when a story needs time to unfold; Costner proved to the studios that audiences will sit through three hours if they're engaged with the story.

3. The return of the "western," even if this wasn't exactly the western I grew up with. Would Unforgiven been greenlighted a few years later if this film hadn't won BP and had a large audience? I'm not sure, but it must have helped.

4. Costner's best performance. Some might say that isn't much, but I'll argue his early career is an interesting one. I found him completely believable as a man seeking a frontier before it's gone. There is a heartfelt performance here.

5. Graham Greene as Kicking Bird. He's sweet, kind, and frightened. His final scene with Dunbar is especially poignant -- "We have come far, you and me." *sigh* I simply love this performance.

6. Use of subtitles. The very idea that his film would honor Native Americans and not use their language would have been simply unforgiveable.

7. John Barry's amazing score. Full of wonder and torment.

8. Wind in his Hair on top of the hill at the end; followed by the howling of the wolf. I can't help it; that moment gets to me every damn time I see it.

9. We finally had a film that really celebrated a people that our government had almost destroyed. Not only is the 17th and 18th century full of unpair practices by the U.S. Government, the 20th century was even worse. And one outstanding crime was how we treated them in film. To this day, I'm always heartened by the public's response to this film. As Dunbar said in the film, "I had never known a people so eager to laugh, so devoted to family, so dedicated to each other, and the only word that came to mind was harmony." Even if this film borders on the mythological; even if this film paints a rather pretty picture, it doesn't matter. "Print the legend," as John Ford said. We owe them.

10. Finally, Kevin Costner's direction. I get angry every time I see him now denigrated for this win because Scorcese lost. What a crock. It is an impressive directorial debut; the film is entertaining from beginning to end. There are images to behold; characters to believe and care about; exciting action sequences; quiet, compelling moments; and suspenseful moments confidently directed. I hate that this film has lost some of its luster lately (taken off the AFI's 100 greatest film list was the latest crime against this film). Costner has become a joke due to a lackluster later career -- that has NOTHING to do with his work here.

Dances With Wolves (1990)

I have tried a hundred times to put into words why I like Dances With Wolves… but never could find the right words… from now on, I'll just point to your post…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)