The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I like Planet Of The Apes, but I don't understand why it has the rep it does beyond the make up. There's at least a couple of the sequels I prefer to the original.

I like Planet Of The Apes, but I don't understand why it has the rep it does beyond the make up. There's at least a couple of the sequels I prefer to the original.
It's because they used the Batmobile afterburner noise as a sound effect for the spaceship at the beginning...

To Kill a Mockingbird was number 16 on my list. That makes 11!

Cool Hand Luke and Lawrence of Arabia.
I would be extremely disappointed if Lawrence of Arabia doesn't make top 5.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like Planet Of The Apes, but it didn't make my list.

To Kill A Mockingbird is probably the last movie from my list that will show up in the countdown. It was #6 on my list. That makes only 13 movies from my list that made the countdown, and nothing in the Top Ten.

2) Barefoot in the Park (1967)
3) West Side Story (1961)
4) The Music Man (1962)
5) Inherit the Wind (1960)
6) To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
8) My Fair Lady (1964)
12) Fail-Safe (1964)
13) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
14) Charade (1963)
18) Mary Poppins (1964)
19) Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)
22) Oliver! (1968)
23) In the Heat of the Night (1967)
25) 36 Hours (1964) (On the 1-pointers list.)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Mockingbird was on my list somewhere. I like it more than the book.

Planet if the Apes was not but I like it well enough.

Of the last ten I have voted for five and watched them all except Woman in the Dunes.

Yojimbo is the lowest for me to turn up I had it at #19. Toshiro Mifune is among my favourite actors despite not seeing him in muc, and weirdly this may be my favourite of his, well this or Rashomon. I understand that it is not really among Kurosawa's finest but I just had a really great time both times I watched this, I actually prefer it to A Fistful of Dollars. Was getting a bit worried so glad to see this show up so high.

Next up would be For a Few Dollars More which came in at #11. I go back and forth between this and the one that's still to come for my favourite of the Dollars Trilogy. Not much to say about this one, just a trademark fun Leone, with a brilliant Morricone score. Hoping that against all odds Once...West finishes as Leones highest.

Then I had To Kill A Mockingbird at #10. Love both the book and film, Scout and Attacus are two of my favourite characters in all of cinema. Thought this was a top ten lock tbh. The Wild Bunch was my #9. It was one of my best first time watches for this and I now class it among my favorite Westerns. The opening and ending scenes are just brilliant, and Holden gives an iconic performance along with a very capable supporting cast.

My highest to show so far is 8 1/2 at #3. It is a top twenty film for me, and is very significant in my growth as a moviegoer. If you told me five years ago how much I'd love this film, I would have laughed in your face. In all honesty I can't really put into words why I like it so much, all I know is it intrigues me to no end and I've already watched it three times with a fourth planned soon. Mastronnianis (sp?) Would find a place in my top ten ever.

Seen - 48/88
My List - 1325

3.8 1/2
5.Le Samourai
6.Army of Shadows
7.Harakiri
9.The Wild Bunch
10.To Kill A Mockingbird
11.For A Few Dollars More
18.Playtime
19.Yojimbo
21.Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?
22.Judgement At Nuremberg
24.Easy Rider
25.From Russia With Love

Damn, I almost guessed those two. I have grown to like To Kill a Mockingbird more over time, but it still isn't one of my all-time favorites, despite Gregory Peck at his best. And while the original Planet of the Apes is fun and the Rod Serling cleverness of it amuses me in spots, I was never a hardcore fan and mostly find even the original silly. When I was a kid neighbors of mine had the action figures and could tell you how each sequel was linked to the TV show timeline and all of that jazz, but I never found it more than mildly diverting. Definitely chock full of iconic imagery and moments, but even more so than The Birds being redeemed for me by Mel Brooks, the entire Planet of the Apes franchise is worth existing if only for Troy McClure's multi-million-dollar Broadway Musical on "The Simpsons". "Uuuuuuh, the movie or the planet?"

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've seen Planet of the Apes more times than I can count. I know a lot of people hold it up as a genuinely good movie, but I find it ridiculous and a little cheesy. Which is why I love it. I had it at #5.

My List
2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (#101)
3. Woman in the Dunes (#19)
5. Planet of the Apes (#14)
7. Harakiri (#27)
8. Onibaba (#62)
10. Through A Glass Darkly (#81)
11. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (#21)
18. In Cold Blood (#78)
21.The Jungle Book (#88)
22. Easy Rider (#38)
23. The Virgin Spring (#67)
25. Something That Didn't Make the One Pointers List

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Planet of the Apes was my #18. I saw it at the theatre the first time in 1970 on a double bill with Beneath the Planet of the Apes.
Planet of the Apes (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1968)
+

No matter how many times I watch the original Planet of the Apes, I come away thinking that it borders on being a perfect movie. I mean, I see some continuity errors and a lapse in logic here and there, but none of those mistakes are significant at all. What IS significant is the beauty of Rod Serling's and Michael Wilson's screenplay and Franklin J. Schaffner's brilliant direction, especially his use of locations in the Southwestern U.S. I am one of the few people around here who actually believes that Charlton Heston is an excellent actor, and this is his best, most-complex performance in my opinion. The way he can be all for himself and think that being "prepared to die" is a ridiculous notion, whether for your country or any other reason, immediately makes me like his cynical character. I need to mention Jerry Goldsmith's score, which I also believe to be his best; it's just one of the weirdest things you'll ever hear which perfectly suits the film, and yes, I mean it may even be weirder than a Morricone score. The ideas which the film presents concerning evolution, religion, and the treatment of animals are all spot-on, and when you add in one of the greatest endings in film history, I don't think I need to repeat my original point again.
To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my wife's favorite films, and Gregory Peck is one of her fave actors (Twelve O'Clock High and The Big Country are also among her faves), so I watch Mockingbird often. It didn't make my list, but I think it's a
movie. I don't have to reiterate the things people love about it - but I will (HA!) - Atticus/Peck, the trial, the kids (including a youthful Truman Capote who likes to smother his dinner in syrup), the legend of Boo Radley come to life. What's amazing about the film is that while the characters never get sentimental or teary-eyed, the viewers (well, this viewer anyway) bawl at scenes that hit home close to our hearts. I especially love how the simple opening credits and Elmer Berntein's music set the tone that we're going to see something that happened a long time ago from a child's perspective although the adult narration soon tells us that they're is some worldly-wise hindsight involved in the recollection.

Here are the ones from my list which have shown so far.

#1. Elmer Gantry (48)
#3. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? ()
#6. My Fair Lady (40)
#7. Mary Poppins (49)
#9. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (21)
#11. West Side Story (29)
#12. Z (44)
#13. The Innocents (32)
#14. The Manchurian Candidate (34)
#18. Planet of the Apes (14)
#22. Spartacus (47)

8 1/2 is very good but not one of Fellini's absolute best IMO. We will get to the best in the 50s countdown when you all vote for Nights of Cabiria

The Wild Bunch is also very good but I didn't vote for that either. Just starting to get into Peckinpah recently and this was a movie I like a lot more than I thought I would. Really impressed with Holden's performance.

Not a big fan of Planet of the Apes but it is enjoyable and the ending certainly elevates it.

To Kill a Mockingbird is excellent and I had it at 15. There are lots of reasons why I love it but the highlight is probably Peck's performance - in this film he pretty much defines on-screen charisma.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
7. High & Low
8. The Human Condition III
9. Judgement at Nuremberg
10. An Autumn Afternoon
13. In the Heat of the Night
15. To Kill a Mockingbird
16. Harakiri
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
24. Z
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 76 of 88

I am one of the few people around here who actually believes that Charlton Heston is an excellent actor...
You can count me as one of those few who thinks Chuck is an excellent actor!

If we think of films like Planet of the Apes as the audiences would have seen it back in 1968, I don't think people left the theater thinking it was cheesy back then. I love the film and I guess I could see how in the 21st century some of the scenes could seem that way, but it certainly wasn't the films attention to be kitsch.

The People's Republic of Clogher
When I was a kid neighbors of mine had the action figures
Same here, although I never wanted one. I had my 6 Million Dollar Man and Muhammad Ali figures instead.

You could roll up the skin on his arm, kinda weird for Muhammad Ali but whatever...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I gave both
but chances are they deserve more. The Mocking Bird is a film I saw in 2012, The Planet of Apes even before that, when I was a kid. I will probably rewatch both in a couple of years.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I missed the passed few days and I come back to find that only one movie was named from my list since the last time another one made it. I really am losing hope now. I figure that I have 3 more that WILL make it (and one that I would like to make it - I doubt it will now). And the rest I always figured never would, but I didn't care because I really like the movies - even if others don't (or don't like them as much as I do to put them in a top 25).

Anyway, "The Wild Bunch" was the only one on my list, in case anyone is interested to know. It is #10 on my list.

My list so far:

3. The Swimmer (19686) (#68)
4. 8 1/2 (1963) (#16)
5. Red Desert (1964) (#82)
6. Elmer Gantry (1960) (#48)
7. L'avventura (1960) (#63)
8. Z (1969) (#44)
10. Contempt (1963) (#65)
16. Lolita (1962) (#56)
17. Onibaba (1964) (#62)
18. Planet of the Apes (1968) (#14)
25. I Even Met Happy Gypsies (1967) (one pointer)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Forgot to comment on the other four I've seen from the last ten. Rewatching Butch Cassidy was one of my main priorities but sadly I never got around to it. I watched it about four years ago and all I remember is I didn't like it, that isn't really reliable though. The Birds is OK I actually caught this on TV shortly after the Countdown started, and my opinion went up. Still not a fav Hitch and for me its way too high, but pretty enjoyable nonetheless. Night of the Living Dead would've made my 40-50, probably my favorite zombie film but I'm notreally a fan of them tbh. Planet of the Apes is good but not a favourite, expected it to be this high and have no problems with it though.

We will get to the best in the 50s countdown when you all vote for Nights of Cabiria
I'll be one of those people.

As for this last set I've seen Planet of the Apes, I like it but I didn't vote for it.