Movie Tab II

Tools    

Poltergeist - first time seeing it and thought it was a decent little haunting movie

You ready? You look ready.
Valiant- Great family flick. Good for the kids.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Campus Confidential

I don't usually sink to the level of these made-for-tv movies but this one sucked me in. It wasn't even awful, minus the completely unrealistic portrayal of gay students and the way the are treated and the fairy tale ending that was so unlike anything that would happen at a real high school. Besides, I have a thing for Christy Carlson Romano.

Can we try with real bullets now?
I saw Marathon Man for the first time early this morning. I must've been half asleep when I watched it because I remember there being a crazy Nazi dentist and Dustin Hoffman teamed up with some gang bangers and robbed his own apartment. And Roy Scheider was a badass! I should watch it again and get my facts straight

The People's Republic of Clogher
Cop Land (1997, Jim Mangold)

4/5

If Scorsese made a Western it may very well come out like this. Imagine Goodfellas crossed with High Noon or Shane and you're half way there. Best commentary I've heard in a while too: Mangold (who's always excellent), Cathy Konrad, Sly Stallone and Robert Patrick being insightful without taking themselves too seriously.

I think this film deserves underrated status. I really, really, like it.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

A system of cells interlinked
Raising Arizona (Coens, 1987)

Fantastic Film. Coens are the bomb.

Crash
Paul Haggis; USA/Germany 2005;
A

Rashômon

Akira Kurosawa; Japan 1950;
A

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgandy

Adam McKay; USA 2004;
B

Fist of Legend- Almost a remake of Bruce Lee's Fists of Fury, this is by far my favourite Jet Li film, enjoyed more than Tsui Hark's over indulgent Once Upon a Time in China 5/5

Masque of Red Death- Almost atmospheric (Nic Roeg was cinematographer) Roger Corman period horror. Vincent Price hams up a treat, though not a spot on Mathew Hopkins from Witchfinder General. One complaint is the un-necessary hero, who does nothing heroic or interesting. 3/5

I am having a nervous breakdance
Mean Streets (1973 - Martin Scorsese)

It's great. I hadn't seen it in 15-20 years. The only thing I remembered was the scene where Charlie and Johnny are walking home early in the morning and start play fighting with trash can lids. That's what I've been thinking of for all these years when I've heard the title Mean Streets: trash cans. I wonder why that particular scene stuck to my memory.... I love the scene in any case.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
Poltergeist - first time seeing it and thought it was a decent little haunting movie
Superb horror flick. Probably my favourite.

I havnt watched many films of late, I have a new job. It sucks.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Rope (Hitchcock, 1948) 5/5

Kenneth: We're drinking champaigne? Is it somebody's birthday?
Brandon: You might say it's quite the opposite.

I really loved this. The dialogue was great all through and the plot was wonderfully unique. Hell, it was even technically innovative and to top it all off, had Jimmy Stewart in it. Highly underrated if ya ask me. Honestly my favorite Hitch film so far. By the time I become fully versed in his work I wouldn't be surprised if he was my favorite director. I have a bit more to say but I think I'll do so later in the greatest shots of all time thread.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I think this film deserves underrated status. I really, really, like it.
Yup, I agree. Bought the Director's cut a few days ago, it definately fleshes out a few areas.

I see Mangold's doing a remake of 3:10 To Yuma, which should be interesting. I think he's one of the brightest directors working in Hollywood today.

A system of cells interlinked
L.A. Confidential (Hanson, 1997) - I had seen this, but had forgotten most of it. Really well done and well played, but I kept having this nagging feeling like I was watching Chinatown II. I know Jerry Goldsmith was paying a little hommage here and there in the score, which also helped remind me of Chinatown from time to time. Still, a really solid noir, so I am glad I bought it. The script just wasn't quite as tight as Chinatown and the film wasn't shot quite as well, but few films are, if any.

Put me in your pocket...
Picture Bride ~ I loved it. Dedicated to the women of Japan who left to marry men in Hawaii they've never met...with only a picture and letters to go by. Beautifully done. I loved both Youki Kudoh (very sweet) and Tamlyn Tomita. Brian...you would drool.

Steamboy ~ I liked it alot. The animation is gorgeous and worth seeing just for that. The story was a little confusing at times, but I still basically liked it.

Originally Posted by Aniko
Steamboy ~ I liked it alot. The animation is gorgeous and worth seeing just for that. The story was a little confusing at times, but I still basically liked it.
I still need to see this one. Linespalsy liked it all right too. Two good reccomendations is good for me.

history *is* moralizing
Big Fish, 2003, marvelous Tim Burton movie, with many people i like, f. ex. wowowow Alison Lohman (yeah, two flicks with her in two days, must be luv...), S. Buscemi, H. Bonham Carter etc etc etc...

Can we try with real bullets now?
I watched Twice Upon A Time this morning I haven't seen it for years and it's still as great as I remember it! I think I'll go watch it again

The Ninth Gate (1999, Roman Polanski)

2.5/5

It's Polanski so it's well made, but it's terribly slight and not half as enjoyable as it thinks it is. Lena Olin's in it though, so my interest was held - no mean feat as The Ninth Gate also goes on for 20 minutes longer than it should...