The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Just re-watched Cabaret (1972) and what surprised me was Sally advising Fritz to basically rape Natalia so she would like him more. After the rape Natalia does fall in love with Fritz. Also they talk lots of sex, not show sex. A loose movie regardless.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I'm the opposite here. The film is heavy with the music of bands I generally intensely dislike (KISS, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper) but the film has taught me to like them. Only in the context of the film though. I'd rather murder myself than listen to Rock and Roll All Night voluntarily.
I grew up with that music and even got dragged to a KISS concert but I never liked them or their music.

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High" - fiction
The silly football game, the "flying" firebird, play side one of Led Zep 4, then play Physical Graffiti.

Or you could just play all of Led Zep 4 and then the singles from Physical Graffiti.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
For the record Dazed & Confused > Fast Times.

Suspect's Reviews

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
For the record Dazed & Confused > Fast Times.
In the list? So you're confirming that Fast Times is showing up.... gotit!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've seen 11 of 16 so far.

3 of the films that have made it were in my last top favorites list, those being Her, Braveheart, and E.T.

Braveheart is the only film from my list to show so far as it was at 24.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I've seen NONE of these and I still own ALL my list. You're not getting a single one and when this is all done, I'll be the one left holding all my noms. GO. FRIGGIN. FISH.

play side one of Led Zep 4, then play Physical Graffiti.
I always thought this was an accurate way of showing how Damone had no idea what he was talking about.

Or you could just play all of Led Zep 4 and then the singles from Physical Graffiti.
Zeppelin never released singles from their albums.

I might as well say Heathers is better than both of them.
Wouldn't be wrong.

I'm the opposite here. The film is heavy with the music of bands I generally intensely dislike (KISS, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper) but the film has taught me to like them. Only in the context of the film though. I'd rather murder myself than listen to Rock and Roll All Night voluntarily.
I can see you as a closet Frampton guy.

(Why is everyone looking at me?).
They knew. They all knew.

Maybe you can convince me?
Doubt it. It was just a stray thought anyway, and cheap excuse to squeeeze out an impromptu list.

Just catching up with this thread is costing me an hour of free time as it is

I've never even listened to a Peter Frampton record.
I bet you're listening to Foghat this very second.

He played the wrong album, which I noticed immediately after "Kashmir" came on.
They mentioned in the commentary Kashmir was the only one they could get the rights to.

FIFY

I don't like The Hangover.
I refuse to watch The Hangover..... 5 words...

Comedy
Bradley Cooper
Ken Jeong

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my wife's favorite films, and Gregory Peck is one of her fave actors (Twelve O'Clock High and The Big Country are also among her faves), so I watch Mockingbird often. It didn't make my list, but I think it's a
movie. I don't have to reiterate the things people love about it - but I will (HA!) - Atticus/Peck, the trial, the kids (including a youthful Truman Capote), the legend of Boo Radley come to life. What's amazing about the film is that while the characters never get sentimental or teary-eyed, the viewers (well, this viewer anyway) bawl at scenes that hit home close to our hearts. I especially love how the simple opening credits and Elmer Berntein's music set the tone that we're going to see something that happened a long time ago from a child's perspective although the adult narration soon tells us that they're is some worldly-wise hindsight involved in the recollection.
"Mockingbird" was a landmark film in 1962 when the Hippie generation was all fired up about civil rights (things haven't changed much). That was the chief reason for its popularity.

I always liked the dreamlike quality of the film-- the charm of the story being told through the eyes of "Scout" the young daughter, and her frequent lilting narrations.

In the subsequent followup novel, Go Set a Watchman, which supposedly was actually a first draft of what would become "Mockingbird", Atticus Finch is actually a segregationist who was against the civil rights movement, but who nevertheless took the case of a black man accused of a crime involving whites-- solely as a legal justice matter (which was similar to Lee's own father). That, I think, would have been a better story. But Hollywood was determined to hammer home the fashionable social issues, just like they do today.