Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Life Is Sweet (Leigh) - 6/10 - I would have given it a 5, but I watched the commentary afterwards. First off, the sound editor could have been better. For example, someone talking while a car is going by, or a lot of drunk talk where it's so difficult to understand. At least in Trainspotting they put captions in a few spots.

As I watched the commentary, Mike Leigh seems to agree with certain stuff. He mentions his favorite scene, which is my favorite scene. Even he considered it his least favorite film. It's an hour and 45, and he spends too much time on things that have very little meaning, milking and just a never ending scene where there are some parts you wish he'd delve into more, since he did write the script. He mentions a scene where he says he always tears up, and I had one or two the first time I saw it as well.

I loved Alison Steadman, she was steady. She played her scenes beautifully; the jovial and the sad just as great. But besides the drunkard, everyone who acted in this life was really, really good.

Where Eagles Dare (1968)

A muscular piece of vintage action cinema with an extremely well thought out espionage plotline. I loved it! There's constant suspense and the plot revelations are always clever and well executed.

This used to be my grandfather's favorite movie and I can easily understand why. This film has everything.

+

Be sure to check it out for your '60s list!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Where Eagles Dare (1968)
When Eastwood duals-wields two MP40s, you know he's not joking.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Life Is Sweet (Leigh) - 6/10 - I would have given it a 5, but I watched the commentary afterwards. First off, the sound editor could have been better. For example, someone talking while a car is going by, or a lot of drunk talk where it's so difficult to understand. At least in Trainspotting they put captions in a few spots.

As I watched the commentary, Mike Leigh seems to agree with certain stuff. He mentions his favorite scene, which is my favorite scene. Even he considered it his least favorite film. It's an hour and 45, and he spends too much time on things that have very little meaning, milking and just a never ending scene where there are some parts you wish he'd delve into more, since he did write the script. He mentions a scene where he says he always tears up, and I had one or two the first time I saw it as well.

I loved Alison Steadman, she was steady. She played her scenes beautifully; the jovial and the sad just as great. But besides the drunkard, everyone who acted in this life was really, really good.
This is a wonderful film. I love all Mike Leigh's work, he has an amazing way of directing that gets so much out of his actors, only having the bare bones of a story and doing months of improvisations with actors not even knowing how they're supposed to react, just reacting from within the character. You have to trust your actors to do that and Leigh worked a lot with Alison Steadman and Tim Spall.
Never crossed my mind they might need subtitles, but I guess for markets outside the UK they might need to. If you saw it on dvd isn't there always an option for subtitles for people who can't hear well? I know my Chinese daughter in law sometimes uses those to make it easier for her to understand when there's a lot of people with regional accents chattering.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

Good looking metaphorical film that overstays its welcome, but who cares. I'm now in love with Jessica Chastain.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

Okay, we get the point already. Now leave that dead horse alone.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

Great looking, quite engaging film with very good performances by Matthew Mcconaghey and a kid actor but marred by a poor ending.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

I wished I remained a stranger to this movie. Bring this with you on your next long train ride if want to ensure you get some sleep.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

Fun, but with a dubious ending. And, hello Hollywood? Matt Damon as a bad guy is not a great idea.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Birdman

Someone mentioned this film as a satire... It's not. It's mockery, parody. Satire is a literary x-ray on the times, usually bite that draws blood. There was a moment of showing how one cannot exist without social media, and how everyone wants a thirty second video to go viral... Everybody wants an easy way to make money, or a cynical attempt at "art"
Take a look for a minute or so starting at the 22:20 mark.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

Pretty weak tea outside the battle scenes. Interesting that while the ravages of war is an issue in the film war is essentially glorified Hollywood style. Bradley Cooper's body should win an Oscar.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
Umbrellas Of Cherbourg:

I was excited to get to this one for 60's viewing because of the buzz on MoFo. I saw more than a couple people say this would not normally be their cup of tea but it was. This would not normally be my cup of tea and wasn't. One of the mechanics told us in a very heady fashion that he prefers movies over the sung dialogue theater style, me too. The first shot and the final shot of the movie were beautiful to look at. Also a nice use of color throughout. Enough to get a star and a half from me.

Hi, just saw "Birdman", with Michael Keaton;(spoilers!) other people didn't get the flying, floating, but I think it was a view of how he felt inside about his role,and acting; it made him fly inside! I get that. Being an artist, and creating lets you fly! It's a wonderful attitude towards life, doing some kind of creative work.Keaton is in the midst of GETTING OLD,which is traumatic for us all,but for actors,its often a death sentence.The inside voice he has,is what many of us possess:"No,you are NOT A HAS-BEEN!" it shouts at him.The age crisis, and stress to get a successful play,drive him batty.I UNDERSTAND Keaton & this film; it's brilliant writing & acting.It will be a classic.(is this really Darren Aronofsky? If so, he finally made a good film.) It's so funny,engaging,full of great personalities,fun,fights, egoes, conflicts,& even family resolvements, it has no mystery about what it's doing. I think of Jack Nicholson, in "Being Schwartz", the retired widower..What do actors,or any of us,handle getting OLD? In the US,a popular actor getting old can be TERRIBLE. Keaton is trying to prove to the world, he hasn't lost it..---trying to finally be a FATHER. The endings of life are rough;"old age is not for wimps." But this funny,interesting,well written & well acted film should get some Oscars. I recommend it.

I was excited to get to this one for 60's viewing because of the buzz on MoFo. I saw more than a couple people say this would not normally be their cup of tea but it was. This would not normally be my cup of tea and wasn't. One of the mechanics told us in a very heady fashion that he prefers movies over the sung dialogue theater style, me too. The first shot and the final shot of the movie were beautiful to look at. Also a nice use of color throughout. Enough to get a star and a half from me.[/quote]
YES, it's one of my favorite films.

Umbrellas Of Cherbourg:

I was excited to get to this one for 60's viewing because of the buzz on MoFo. I saw more than a couple people say this would not normally be their cup of tea but it was. This would not normally be my cup of tea and wasn't. One of the mechanics told us in a very heady fashion that he prefers movies over the sung dialogue theater style, me too. The first shot and the final shot of the movie were beautiful to look at. Also a nice use of color throughout. Enough to get a star and a half from me.
Have you no heart?