Does Anyone Do Drugs?

Tools    

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
Yes Cait' is right. Before you decide to celebrate what you think is a rite of passage toward maturity by "trying" any substance, be prepared:
so if i "try" a drug my life is pretty much ruined? your post seemed to describe people with full fledged addictions, not people who use drugs recreationally, not to mention it sounded like straight up propoganda.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Illegal drugs are so Nineties, legal drugs are where it's at.

You got to work it like Elvis.

Get a copy of Physician's Desk Reference, find the drug you want, and tell Dr. Feelgood you have symptoms that can be aided by your favorites.

Arresting your development
Movies are my drugs!

I think I need another hit.

Originally Posted by casa
so if i "try" a drug my life is pretty much ruined? your post seemed to describe people with full fledged addictions, not people who use drugs recreationally
Tim didn't say those things would happen, but that you should be prepared for them to happen. He's rightfully pointing out that recreational use runs the risk of becoming habitual use. That's why he put "trying" in quotation marks.

Originally Posted by casa
not to mention it sounded like straight up propoganda.
That's a loaded term, and what it sounds like is irrelevant to whether or not it's accurate.

I'm intrigued (and a little surprised) at how downright defensive some people are getting over the fact that most of us here don't think much of drug use. While a few have painted drug use in overly paranoid terms, perhaps, I think that paranoia is easily matched by the kneejerk offense in response.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
I think I need another hit.
you asked for it!

history *is* moralizing
wanted to post this in the Quotes thread, but hei, it suits here too, even better.

Author - Paracelsus

German - alles ist Gift und nichts ist Gift; der Unterschied besteht in der Dosierung
Albanian - asgjë nuk është helm e gjithçka është helm, ndryshimi është tek doza
Aragones - cosa ye solimán, y tot ye solimá ; a esferenzia ye en a dosis
Basque - ezer ez da pozoi, dena da pozoi: dosian dago koxka
Bolognese - gnínta l é vlaggn e incôsa l'é vlaggn; la diferänza l'é int la dôSa
Brazilian Portuguese - nada é veneno e tudo é veneno, a diferença está na dose
Bresciano - nient l'è veleno e tot l'è veleno: el depend de la dose
Breton - netra n'eo ampoezon ha pep tra zo ampoezon; gant ar muzuliadur emañ an dalc'h
Calabrese - nenti è velenu e tuttu è velenu;la differenza è nilla dosi
Catalan - res no és verí i tot és verí; la diferència es troba en la dosi
Cornish - travyth nyns yw gwenyn ha puptra yw gwenyn; y'n müsür yma an dybarth
Croatian - ništa nije otrov, i sve je otrov; razlika je u doziranju
Danish - alt er gift, og intet er gift, forskellen ligger i doseringen
Dutch - alles is gif en niets is gif; het verschil schuilt in de dosering
English - nothing is poison and everything is poison; the difference is in the dose
Estonian - kõik on mürk ja miski pole mürk - see on kogus, mis asja ära määrab.
Finnish - mikään ei ole myrkkyä ja kaikki on myrkkyä; ero on annoksessa
French - rien n'est poison et tout est poison, c'est une question de dosage
Furlan - nuje al è velen e dut al è velen; la diference jè inte purizion
Galician - nada é veleno e todo é veleno; a diferencia é a dose
German - alles ist Gift und nichts ist Gift; der Unterschied besteht in der Dosierung
Griko Salentino - tìpoti en veleno ce olo en veleno: i differenza stèi is posson vaddhi
Hungarian - semmi sem méreg és minden méreg; a különbség a dózison múlik
Italian - niente è veleno e tutto è veleno; la differenza è nella dose
Judeo Spanish - nada es tosigo, i todo es tosigo; la diferensia esta en la doza
Ladin - nia é da tuesse y dut é da tuesse, la desvalivanza é la dosazion
Latvian - nekas nav inde un inde var bût viss; atškirîba ir tikai deva
Limburgian - al ès vergif ên niks ès vergif, 't ès zjus 'n kwêste van doziëring
Mapunzugun - chem rume ta fuñapuegelay wej kom fuñapuegey re may ta tuntekentuael ta che ta welulekey
Mudnés - gnìnta l'è velèin e tòtt lìè velèin; la diferèinza l'è in dla dôs
Neapolitan - nient'è tuòsseco e tutt'è tuòsseco; 'a defferenza stà int'â dosa
Papiamentu - nada ta veneno i tur kos ta veneno; e diferensia ta den e dosis
Parmigiano - gnenta l'é vlen e tut l'é vlen; al dipenda 'd la dose
Polish - nic nie jest trucizna i wszystko jest trucizna, róznica jest w dawce...
Portuguese - nada é veneno e tudo é veneno; a diferença está na dose
Romagnolo - e' tosicc l'è unquel, e tota al robi la è tossicc; l'è la misoura ad fé murtel e' tosicc
Sicilian - nenti è vilenu e tuttu è vilenu; 'a differenza sta 'nt' 'a dosi
Spanish - nada es veneno, y todo es veneno; la diferencia está en la dosis
Swedish - allt och inget är giftigt, det är mängden som avgör
Umbro-Sabino - gnente è vilinu e tuttu è vilinu; ra defferenza sta ne ra dose
Venetian - gnente xe velen e tuto xe velen; la diferensa sta ne la dose
Welsh - mae pob dim yn wenwyn ac nid oes dim sy'n wenwyn; yn y dos mae'r gwahaniaeth
Zeneize - ninte l'é teuscego e tutto l'é teuscego; a differensa a l'é inta quantitæ

The difference is in the dose...I like that.

Oh, before I forgets...that was not the hit I had in mind though it did the trick.

Great timing on that!

Originally Posted by Yoda

I'm intrigued (and a little surprised) at how downright defensive some people are getting over the fact that most of us here don't think much of drug use. While a few have painted drug use in overly paranoid terms, perhaps, I think that paranoia is easily matched by the kneejerk offense in response.
I think you underestimate just how out of proportion things are being blown in this thread.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
that was not the hit I had in mind though it did the trick.
hei, always ready to help!

My life isn't written very well.
Tim didn't say those things would happen, but that you should be prepared for them to happen. He's rightfully pointing out that recreational use runs the risk of becoming habitual use. That's why he put "trying" in quotation marks.
Yes, I think Yoda interpreted my remarks correctly.

Here in California, if you're not prepared for an earthquake, you may not survive it. Not that one will occur, and not that I won't survive if one does, but being prepared for what may happen can sometimes make all the difference between life and death.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Yes I do take drugs for recreational use. Weed, alcohol and charlie are the only ones I do at the moment.

You know what they say; " Charlie is a gateway drug that leads to doing Linus on a mirror!"

OK, I give; what is "charlie"?!

You know what they say; " Charlie is a gateway drug that leads to doing Linus on a mirror!"

I don't know but I did like the Peanuts thing you just did.

there's a frog in my snake oil

You were sniffing down exactly the right line r3. He's talking about coke.

One that i reckon is a mug's game as a rule (no offence BM), but Froggy has already given the best retort to that (and how very restrained and Apollonian it was too - 'everything in moderation' )

The passions on this thread are probably past moderating tho .

As someone who's dabbled with most things except heroin (and wallowed in others til i was awash in serotonin), i'd say i subscribe to the try-with-your-eyes-open point of view. Which sort of agrees and disagrees with the more hardcore views put forward by both sides in this lifestyle divide.

I'd say there's some good in trying many of these things, but plenty of bad in making them your life-spring. Sip from time to time, but don't slip into making them what shapes your 'daily' mind.

And all that

Originally Posted by Golgot
I'd say there's some good in trying many of these things, but plenty of bad in making them your life-spring. Sip from time to time, but don't slip into making them what shapes your 'daily' mind.
Very good advice!

You know, I had another thought that may be controversial here;
Does a person's intellegence figure into the equation of addiction or abuse? Does a smarter person understand the purpose of moderation? Perhaps it is a persons age then that makes them wiser because of experience. I mean who beyond 30 still smokes? (OK, I do, but I never claimed to be smart!)

The People's Republic of Clogher
I mean who beyond 30 still smokes?
We're a dying breed...

The People's Republic of Clogher
I can give up anytime I want, honest.

But need a wife with a steely glare and large rolling pin (well, that's how I managed last time ) to help me on the way.

Heck, don't go through the trouble, just date a chick with a steely glare who smokes (preferably your brand)!