Movie Tab II

Tools    

Registered Creature
Just realised I've watched three zombie movies in the past couple of days. Halloween must be near cos I'm unconsciously watching them now...

Shaun of the Dead -

Dawn of the Dead (2004) -

Dawn of the Dead (1978) -

They're the best zombie films, IMO. Along with Night of the Living Dead and the original Day of the Dead. I didn't like the Dawn remake the first time I saw it, but I've grown to love it. It is actually very good for a zombie remake. The Day of the Dead remake was rubbish.

Gone in 60 Seconds (Dominic Sena-2000)

If it wasn't for Angelina's horrible hair I think I'd give this a solid
, she also looked like she was smoking a little too much crack at the time. About as skinny as I think I've seen her. Still though, I love all the cars in the flick and I especially love the "low rider" scene.

"Low Rider Donnie... Donnie, Low Rider."

Equilibrium (Kurt Wimmer-2002)

Before Christian Bale became "Bat Jesus" he actually did some other films as well. This is one and its one that's kind of close to my heart because I especially enjoy it when smaller budget sci-fi flicks really try... know what I mean? The story isn't a great one but taken as a whole its pretty good. A pretty good cast too.

Plan 9 From Outer Space (Edward D. Wood Jr-1959)

Is that a real rating or a camp rating you may be thinking to yourself. Or you may think I'm an idiot or dysfunctional. You may be right on both counts.

My God, the flying Saucers on fishing line was truly divine. The dialog was superb. Check this out.

"Visits? That would indicate visitors."

"And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future."

"But one thing's sure. Inspector Clay is dead, murdered, and somebody's responsible."

I could just post the whole damn movie's script, but I won't... I'll save some of the really good stuff for those of you that need to go and see this immediately.

Worst movie of all time? Hardly. Quite possibly brilliant? Most likely.

Robot Monster (Phil Tucker-1953)

Thanks again mark. I can't really say anything interesting that mark hasn't already said about this little gem. I really enjoyed it to say the least.

Registered Creature
Finally, something we can agree on.

Ha.

Why did Shaun of the Dead get the highest rating though? D;

Welcome to the human race...
Why did Shaun of the Dead get the highest rating though? D;
Because I liked it the most, obviously.

The Running Man -

Shallow Grave -

EDIT:

Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Movie -

Die Hard -

Die Hard 2: Die Harder -

Die Hard With A Vengeance -

Live Free Or Die Hard -

I had a marathon of them yesterday.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Spider (David Cronenberg, 2002)

Cronenberg's low-key, but haunting treatment of mental illness begins slowly but gradually draws you into the story of a man nicknamed Spider (Ralph Fiennes) who's released from a mental hospital and enters a halfway house run by Mrs. Wilkinson (Lynn Redgrave). The halfway house is populated by many disturbed men; in fact, the only discernable difference between the "house" and a "hospital" is that there is no treatment in the "house". Spider is able to function at a seemingly-higher level than the other ex-patients though, and soon, he's roaming the streets of his hometown from twenty years ago, just about the time his psychosis first appeared when he was a boy. In fact, Spider begins to "see" not only himself as a boy (played by Bradley Hall) 20 years earlier, but his hard-drinking father (Gabriel Byrne) and housewife mother (Miranda Richardson). And then, there's that blonde tramp (also Miranda Richardson) who may be trying to steal the husband or may not even be real at all...

Like many of Cronenberg's films, Spider is open to interpretation and undoubtedly rewards added viewings for those who are able to get past the slow pace and the depressing surroundings. Cronenberg doesn't really make easy films, and this one begins especially "difficultly", but things begin to clarify about 30-40 minutes in and it becomes more interesting. The best parts to me are trying to determine which parts are real, which parts are imagined and which parts could even be both. I also liked the fact that Spider kept a journal of everything which went on in his day-to-day life, but since it's written in some original language of his own making, no one can understand it except for himself. It's similar to the way that Spider often mumbles something which the viewer cannot understand because it's either too low in volume or doesn't even seem to be real words. Some people may not understand and care about Spider while others will "enjoy" it for probably the same reasons. I probably fall somewhere in the middle ground.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Philip Kaufman, 1978)

Thirty years ago when I saw this on the humongous Big Newport screen, I just wasn't impressed. I'm not sure what my problem was. I was never that big a fan of the original, true, but I was having a hard time empathisizing any more with the lead characters than I did with the pod people. Three decades and several viewings later, I can safely say I was full of it back then. This film may actually qualify to me as the ultimate paranoid thriller. Everything is in place. The shiny photography, the dark shadows, the killer sound effects, the scary music (actually, I'd probably tone down some of the music because it's the quietest parts which are the scariest). I like the performances and the black humor, as well as just the weird touches, like Robert Duvall's "priest" swinging in a children's playground.

To me, this is Kaufman's first full-blown success, and if he was ahead of me in the power curve, at least I could see it just a short while later. I thought he went even more into paranoia and dark comedy with his next film, The Wanderers, but that's for another post. This film is pretty-much textbook, as far as basically showing you what's happening, then slowly allowing only one character (Brooke Adams) to know about it. Nobody believes her, but eventually a group of three others (Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, Veronica Cartwright) are forced to believe her because they cannot deny their own eyes, no matter how much pop psychiatrist Leonard Nimoy tries to rationalize away everything "paranoid". That's enough for now, but be sure to watch for Sutherland's friend's dog near the end.

Next (Lee Tamahori, 2007)

I barely even remember this flick being released, but it came on cable a couple of hours ago when I felt a desire to put my feet up, so I watched the beginning, and it kept me moderately interested enough to keep watching for an hour and a half. Nicolas Cage is a clairvoyant, masquerading as a magician, who was born with the gift (or is it curse?) to see about two minutes into the future involving his personal life. However, there is a mystery woman (Jessica Biel) whom he's never met, who he's apparently able to see further into the future, although for what reason isn't clear. Well, Cage is thrown into the middle of a plot by unknown terrorists who seem to want to blow up a nuke in Southern California (shades of "24") and the FBI, led by field agent Julianne Moore, who are trying to stop them. For some reason, both groups seem to understand that some two-bit Las Vegas magician is the key for them to succeed.

Based on a Philip K. Dick story, Next is probably best at setting up the story, no matter how preposterous it may be, since it's fast-paced and doesn't take itself too seriously. There's even a stretch near the beginning which recalls the scene in Dick's Minorty Report where Samantha Morton's pre-cog is able to keep her and Tom Cruise one step ahead of the authorities. There is also some wonderful scenery shot in and around the Grand Canyon. Eventually, the film becomes a little less interesting, but not enough for me to turn it off. Of course, there's a big twist near the end which makes it almost seem like the movie could have gone in an infinite number of directions and still ended up in the same place. I don't especially like that sort of scripting, but in this case, it probably doesn't matter too much to anybody who's likely to watch it.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Addams Family - Loved it. Very well cast, with Raul Julia and Angelica Huston, and Christina Ricci is hilarious as the creepy little girl.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I'm not old, you're just 12.
it bugs the bejesus out of me that Addams family isnt on DVD, the ****** sequel is on DVD but not the good one
I have it on DVD, it's on a dvd with both the films. I got it at Wal Mart for ten dollars. (And I rather liked the sequel, the class play with the indians setting fire to the pilgrim village was hilarious)

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
maybe it's just in the US but not here in merry ole england, in comparison the sequel cant touch the first. Totally separately yeah its not a bad film but its not a good enough substitute for the first

Watched Harold and Maude for the first time and loved it... 4/5

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A system of cells interlinked
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Hooper, 1974)

Friday the 13th
(Cunningham, 1980)

Hellraiser (Barker, 1987)

The Blair Witch Project (Myrick, 1999)

The Thing (Carpenter, 1982)

You're a Genius all the time
The only two "scary" flicks I watched 'round this Halloween were The Monster Squad and Dog Soldiers.

The Monster Squad is a lot worse than I remember it being, but it'll always hold a special place in my heart. I'm not gonna get into its flaws or the actual rating I would objectively give it, because I don't want to ruin sweet childhood memories with jaded 21st century criticism. I will say The Monster Squad is refreshingly un-PC for a kiddie horror flick and should be required viewing for any child every Halloween up until they're about eleven or so.

Dog Soldiers I liked, especially the Straw Dogs/Home Alone inspired final 2/3. Before they get to that house, it's pretty forgettable Sci-Fi channel cable fare, but it does get better afterwards. I dig the movie for not turning to CGI to animate its wolfies and the balance between comedy and horror almost reaches an Evil Dead II level of perfection. It was a lot better than Marshall's Doomsday but I'll reserve judgements on his overall filmography until I've seen The Descent. Anyway, I think I'd give Dog Soldiers a high

Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
/ constant action, i could relax /
Tropic Thunder (2008)
/ I'm lead farmer, mother****er! /
Broken Flowers (2005)
/ bill murray - nuff said /

Registered Creature
Child's Play -

Crikey Mark, i was all set to rep that last post of yours until i realised Next got the same rating as Spider. Now i'm probably bias towards Cronenberg, heck it was almost in my Top 10 till rethought it but giving it the same as Next, which looked (like Cage's other recent films) awful.