The Tree of Life

→ in
Tools    

I think that I would have more fun sticking forks in my eyes than watching this movie...I mean I am all in for clever movies,but that was just painful!

The optical effects supplied with the help of Douglas Trumbull were beautiful, yet the digital effects (namely the dinosaurs) were disappointing and clashed with the otherwise stunning level of craft.

Overall, I thought the film could have been much better in its narrative. The idea was good. The film craft was largely excellent.

This movie was pretty horrible in my opinion. I really think that Sean Penn thinks it is ingenious and Terrance Malick should be praised, but in reality, he (Penn) is an idiot.

I've been putting this movie off asI heard it's really slow, but having seen Days Of Heaven, Badlands, Thin Red Line, and New World, I'm sure the cinematography is exceptional, so I'll put in my two cents, after I see the movie.

Great review! Not sure if I still want to see it.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I loved this movie. Stunning visuals and excellent performances made up for the underdeveloped primary story thread. There were some pointless shots and sequences, but unlike many others, I was astounded by the Origin of the World sequence. I would've loved to see it win an Oscar. Oh well.

I thought some scenes were a bit too slow, but the Origin of the World sequence definitely was not one of them. I was blown away by that part, probably the highlight of the film.

Who else thought you were watching Planet Earth?

A system of cells interlinked
Why, is the movie shot from space?

I didn't get it at all

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The creation of the Earth were the most fascinating moments and I liked all the scenes with Brad Pitt, but I can't help but come to the conclusion that Malick needs a writer desperately.

He's a painter, he paints his films beautifully, but in the end they all feel hollow for some reason. Very cold and distant, even for a film about life. There's no coherent story to be found, just random images put together to form some kind of narrative structure. At 2 hours and 20 minutes, the film does run long and I can't help but pick out numerous scenes that could have been left on the cutting room floor.

Masterpiece? Pretentious? Yes, both, everything.

It's a film that reminds me of 2001. Beautiful, has a deeper meaning, but feels empty.

I mentioned in another thread of mine that if I could only save ten films, this would make the list. Just so that people can see it, cause it does need to be seen.

Suspect's Reviews

To be honest, I actually stopped watching it after 1 hour.