Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Melancholie der Engel (2009)

German Shocker/splatter with pretty decent production values. Not sure about the animal cruelty (if true) as I believe the director goes under an alias and has not been interviewed directly about the matter. It really drags and is relentlessly grim although I suspect it was attempting to be titillating. It's really not although the actors make not a bad fist of an absolutely hilarious script.

Supposedly "meaningful" but just drivel. 2/10 and the 2 is for the camerawork.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Louis CK - Live in Madison Square Garden - 8/10
I don't care for the crass and crude, but I had a lot of laughs. I've been telling myself I need to watch (and usually re-watch) stand-up that I love for the laughs - I'm done running for a few reasons, one which I'll reveal in my next post. (I like to separate scores)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Children's Hour - 7/10
This was interrupted by many police cars, fire trucks, paramedics, etc., driving on my little tiny street. Some young man stole a car from a neighbor on an adjacent street, ran it into the neighbor's car two houses down, and was overdosed, and I saw them trying to break the window, etc.. The woman said he was barely breathing. The neighbors talked about how they should all carry Narcan. I kept listening from my door, and heard there have been thefts, drug dealers (I think new additional ones) and I was burglarized two years ago so I kept listening for my own sake.

I thought I had seen this movie before, then realized it was the 1936 original (These Three), but with the new Hays Code and think the interruption didn't have an affect. James Gardner seems so fake for me (and in other movies - especially "Americanization of Emily", where he was given some of the best lines)... A little too melodramatic at times, the Grandma was real good... An always reserved Audrey "never moves a muslce" Hepburn might have worked in this movie to balance so much screaming. Shirley MacLaine was pretty good... I wish there was a little more emphasis placed on how awful a lie can be, and also the corroboration and the saving face even after a lie is discovered in many cases.. (especially with those who have 100x the power)

The 12th Man (2017)

After a failed sabotage mission leaves his eleven comrades dead, a Norwegian resistance fighter finds himself on the run from the Gestapo through the snowbound Arctic reaches of Scandinavia in a true story of survival that is hard to believe. In a familiar genre I was incredibly won round by the story and the climactic scene just blew me away, its hard to give a better translation, also Jonathan Rhys Meyers does good Nazi here and speaks in German.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
PATERSON (2016) JIM JARMUSCH

I don't know about everyone else, but when I finish I movie I don't really have many arguments to express why I like the movie I just watched.
I like what you said about Paterson, but this sentense was exactly what I thought when I watched this movie.So I started to wonder what could it be. I guess the thing which entranced me here was simplicity and peace. I came out of the cinema relaxed.

NYC indie movie. Maggie Siff (Mad Men) really very good. I finished it, but nothing much happened in the movie.

So I started to wonder what could it be. I guess the thing which entranced me here was simplicity and peace. I came out of the cinema relaxed.
I truly believe this:
A Paterson in the city of Paterson, a person being the environment is in.
I believe Jim Jarmusch wanted the audience to experience exactly that peace & relaxation and then wonder why. This is not just about environment, or a kind of nostalgia, this movie is not even about nostalgia, is a message about something lost, that we probably need to get back. More general understanding, I think, the fact that Paterson and his girlfriend Laura are so different and yet perfect for each other is a very important detail and a message actually. His daily routine and so many scenes where Paterson is working driving a bus and making the best out of it is also a important message, listening to passengers conversations from all ages and ideologies. This movie have a lot of interesting details, I just watched it twice, I don't like to watch the movies I like very often, but is that kind of movie you understand it better each time you see it, like The Big Lebowski.

Martyrs (2008)

I liked this much more the second time around. The first time, the last 40 minutes were just too much of an unexpected letdown. It still is a letdown for me, but at least now I appreciate what it turns into. The first hour is flat out awesome, and the whole film is very well made with excellent acting. My wife surprisingly wanted to try it and ended up liking it as much or more than I did.

I believe Jim Jarmusch wanted the audience to experience exactly that peace & relaxation and then wonder why. This is not just about environment, or a kind of nostalgia, this movie is not even about nostalgia, is a message about something lost, that we probably need to get back. More general understanding, I think, the fact that Paterson and his girlfriend Laura are so different and yet perfect for each other is a very important detail and a message actually. His daily routine and so many scenes where Paterson is working driving a bus and making the best out of it is also a important message, listening to passengers conversations from all ages and ideologies. This movie have a lot of interesting details, I just watched it twice, I don't like to watch the movies I like very often, but is that kind of movie you understand it better each time you see it, like The Big Lebowski.
Still not a huge fan of Adam Driver, but I really liked this movie.

7/10. Wonderfully acted. A movie about a father's struggle in getting his son out of crystal meth addiction. Steve Carrel, what can I say about him, the guy has morphed from doing silly comedy to some seriously meaty roles. Timothy Chamalet... is he next DiCaprio? The kid can act.

'1985' (2018)

Some heartbreaking moments in this one directed by Yen Tan. Cory Michael Smith plays 'Adrian', a twenty something guy who works in advertising in NYC. Adrian visits his small town Texas family at Christmas hoping to break some personal news to them, but it doesn't go to plan.

The film, shot in black and white, doesn't deal with anything we haven't seen on screen before but what it does, it does very well. The script especially is very tight and paces well. I found the father a poor character and there are a few scenes that are a touch too melodramatic / histrionic. But the final 20 minutes or so are very well written and will tug at your heartstrings (if you're a sentimental fool like me, who allows themselves to be swept up in all that).

A hidden gem of 2018.

7.3/10

Unregistered User

The Night Eats The World (2018)

Better than expected post-apocalyptic zombie movie. Its nothing we've never seen before ie 28 Days Later but it was atmospheric and with a large propotion of it set in the one place, it was quite claustrophobic. The psychological element was also a nice touch with the protagonist dealing with isolation. It stars Anders Danielsen Lie who you may know from Oslo, August 31st and with him being in near enough every scene, he's put in a great performance. It is a slow paced film so dont expect much action but when needed, the gore looked faily realistic. I also liked the Parisian backdrop along with the Eiffel tower.

I probably am rating that slightly too high but thats because I wasnt expecting that much.

Revenger (2019)

Netflix surprised me today with a new Korean martial arts film. It loans its story from Italian barbarian films and has, even by Korean standards, lots of stupid humor but at least today I found it rather funny at times. Action is OK but strikes lack impact and some sequences are clearly sped up. Still somewhat enjoyable watch.

The Green Book 2018
Beautiful feelgood drama, a very welcome change of setting after just seeing Mandy. So far I got Viggo and The Green Book as favorites for best actor/best picture at the Oscars.

Duck Soup (1933, Leo McCarey)

Watching the courtroom scene where the entire assembly erupts into unbridled militarist exultation ("We're going to war"), I can't help but think of how endlessly relevant this film still is in the toxic political climate we're witnessing today (let alone at the time it was made). The relentless anarchy and absurdist abandon with which it makes fun of all things war and politics is a riot to watch - it's hard not to get lost in this crazy "soup" of memorable scenes, rapid-fire dialogue and nonsensical humor.

"Go, and never darken my towels again!"