Sumantra Roy's Favorite 75 Thrillers of All Time

→ in
Tools    

I know nothing about Borgman. It would be nice if you added a few personal thoughts to each film.

Of the rest I would say The Vanishing is the best qualified as a Thriller, and I'm glad to see it on the list because it's an incredible film.

Madness is the emergency exit…
I didn't much get Borgman, quite a weird thriller but a big fan of Mother, Vanishing & Headhunters. Others are great too, still haven't seen Wages of Fear and Le Samourai though
Looking forward to see the rest of it.

65. A Simple Plan (1998) - Sam Raimi

64. Nattevagten/ Nightwatch (1994) - Ole Bornedal

63. Vengeance Is Mine (1979) - Shohei Imamura

62. Following (1998) - Christopher Nolan

61. La Vida De Los Otros/ The Lives of Others (2006) - Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck

I've only seen A Simple Plan from that set, which is great, and I've had The Lives of Others on my watchlist for a while. I was going to watch Nightwatch for a Hall of Fame, but whoever nominated it dropped out.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I really need to see Lives Of Others. Only made it about thirty minutes into The Following. I liked Simple Plan at the time but everything about it has left my mind except for the money and the snow. I will get back to it one day.

Le Samourai is amazing, either that Army of Shadows or Naked is my favourite first time watch this year. Spoorloos, Wages of Fear and The Departed are all pretty good.

60. Celda 211/ Cell 211 (2009) - Daniel Monzon

59. Myrin/ Jar City (2006) - Baltasar Kormakur

58. Dlug/ The Debt (1999) - Krzysztof Krauze

57. The Others (2001) - Alejandro Amenabar

56. Mississippi Burning (1988) - Alan Parker

55. Das LetzteSchweigen/ The Silence (2010) - Baran Odar

54. The Machinist (2004) - Brad Anderson

53. Run Lola Run (1998) - Tom Tykwer

52. L. A. Confidential (1997) - Curtis Hanson

51. Old Boy (2003) - Park Chan-wook

LA Confidential, Run Lola Run, Mississippi Burning, and The Others are all fantastic.

The Machinist and Oldboy were just ok for me, but I want to watch the latter again.

Cell 211 is on my watchlist.

So far this is a brilliant list, roy!

Lots of great movies and small hidden gems. Those I have not seen has either been on my watchlist for ages or have been a recent movie I fell upon and which started to peak my interest. Keep it up!

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
From the last set I have seen three. LA Confidential and Oldboy are brilliant and in my 100. Mississippi Burning I haven't seen in many years, but I remember liking it.

50. L'Inconnu du lac/ Stranger by the Lake (2014) - Alain Guireudie

49. El Aura/ The Aura (2005) - Fabian Bielinsky

48. Otoshiana/ Pitfall (1962) - Hiroshi Teshigahara

47. The 6th Sense (1999) - M. Night Shyamalan

46. No Country For Old Men (2007) - Joel Coen Ethan Coen

Madness is the emergency exit…
Great going, Mr. Roy! Haven't seen a good number of movies you listed so far...(i.e. Lives of Others, Jar City, Debt, Silence, Pitfall, Stranger by the Lake & Aura). Adding them to my wish list.

Glad you added CELL 211, a great movie indeed.