What horrible movies were you forced to watch and why?

Tools    

Ha-ha, knew I'd probably get some stick for dissing Jimmy Stewart but each to their own and whilst I know I'm by far in the minority in that opinion I just can't help how much he grates on me in that particular movie - and I've been made watch it countless times so you can't say I've not given him plenty opportunity to change my mind
In the minority? Yes. Alone? Definitely not.
I can't stand him in most movies. His voice grates on my nerves.

Step Up movies. V for Vendetta. Constantine.

The Passion of the Christ
was forced onto me, too, like Miss Vicky. I did not enjoy it at the time, but it wasn't one of the worst experiences I've ever had.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- OMG. Maybe the worst experience right there.

There's probably lots of other stuff, but my mind's forgotten about it.

ANGEL EYES. That Jennifer Lopez movie from 2001 or something. Which I was forced to pay tickets for AND didn't even really see it at the same time.

University Video Entries
Citizen Kane. It was a Critical Viewings Class in university some weeks ago and I found it awful . . .

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Awful? As in disgusting, terrible, revolting, repulsive, etc.? What films have you seen in critical viewings class which were better?

I have another story. Okay, so I was living with a whole bunch of roommates for cheap rent a couple summers ago. A couple of the other guys wanted to watch a movie, and of course I always want to watch a movie. So I had just recently bought Kagemusha and was talking about how awesome Kurasawa was. Neither of them had seen a Kurasawa film before, and I said it was one of his best, so they agreed to watch it. Well as soon as one of them saw the cover he said, "This looks like a Grandpa movie." And I was like, "Wow, you need culture so shut up and watch it."

We only got through the first beautiful scene where the lord and his double are talking to a prisoner who resembles the lord so closely that they want him to be a third double. It was really cool seeing three people all dressed exactly the same talking. The acting, dialogue, cinematography, everything was superb. It was a beautiful scene. My friend was so bored with that scene that he forced me to turn off the movie. He couldn't take it. I was pissed off.

So guess what we watched instead. A John Cusack movie about a serial killer with multiple personality schizophrenia. Identity (2003), it was atrocious. When the movie was over my friend said, "Now that was a good movie!" With a huge sigh of relief and excitement. It was on par with the most appalling movie experiences of my life. I was really mad at that guy for a long time and the only other time I watched a movie with him was when I watched Cronos, and this time I made him watch it and he hated it. So it was kind of revenge I guess.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Score: A Hockey Musical - because my friend worked on the marketing division.

God awful film.

Suspect's Reviews

Many of the movies being mentioned I think are actually good movies, but what do I know?

I've seen a lot of bad movies with exes that I never would have watched otherwise, whether it's the most generic, clichéd romantic-comedies or stupid dance movies like Step Up and Stomp the Yard. I also dated a girl for awhile who was very religious and she forced me into watching some of those terrible Christian propaganda movies like Fireproof. Needless to say, that relationship didn't last long.

My best friend has also chosen some terrible movies to go see over the years. He's a good buddy of mine from high school and he's helped me out a lot in the past, so I usually agree to go see whatever he wants to see even I have zero interest in the film. Thanks to him, I've seen stuff like The Golden Compass and Dragon Wars that made me want to burn down the theater afterwards.

Master of My Domain
Many of the movies being mentioned I think are actually good movies, but what do I know?

I've seen a lot of bad movies with exes that I never would have watched otherwise, whether it's the most generic, clich� romantic-comedies or stupid dance movies like Step Up and Stomp the Yard. I also dated a girl for awhile who was very religious and she forced me into watching some of those terrible Christian propaganda movies like Fireproof. Needless to say, that relationship didn't last long.

My best friend has also chosen some terrible movies to go see over the years. He's a good buddy of mine from high school and he's helped me out a lot in the past, so I usually agree to go see whatever he wants to see even I have zero interest in the film. Thanks to him, I've seen stuff like The Golden Compass and Dragon Wars that made me want to burn down the theater afterwards.
I remember when I watched Dragon Wars.

Cheesy effects, ridiculous plot, horrible ending... and then they wonder why there is so much terrorist attack attempts these days.

When I was in University living in the dorms I went to the first couple group movie nights. All they would bring to choose from were Hollywood Blockbusters and Pixar movies. I got stuck watching How to Train Your Dragon, but listening to everyone praise it afterwards was worse than the actual movie. After that I just said no to all the future movie nights.

I don't understand how a bunch of 20 year olds can enjoy a kids movie like that.

Welcome to the human race...
Maybe it's just that good. Not having seen it, I can't really comment, but from what I understand it's actually a pretty good movie.

My family including aunts and uncles are going to see The Battle of the Five Armies, but there's no way I'm getting dragged to that. I'm going to see another movie playing at the same time.

In a relatively recent past and off the top of my head:

Grown Ups 2
RIPD
Don Jon
United Passions
Let's be Cops

Reason for all these is the same, that being my friends' rather questionable taste in film

I was forced to sit through "Street Fighter" because of a Podcast that we were recording. Wow, I don't have the words to describe how disgusted I felt. It was bad, so bad. bad bad bad. It hurts to remember it....

Walk of Shame. . . . . i was forced to watch this garbage while hanging out with friends. While at a red box (which is how they watch movies) i said "rotten tomatoes even says it sucks" but we got it anyways...

I liked Pacific Rim quite a bit. This could be due to our differences in taste... OR due to the fact that that the last two movies I saw in the theater were The Purge (a movie so stupid in premise I saw it just so I could blast it on the Internet) and World War Z. A movie so stupid it is one of my most hated movies of all time. So anything even remotely decent could have seemed like masterpiece compared to what I just saw.

Or a combination of the two.

YOU DECIDE MOFOS!
The animation in pacific rim was one par, and i have even seen original models they used in the film, from the guys that made the credits. However, this "new age" accent they had really turned me off on the film, all the dialogue sounds like it was drawn out and yelling.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
When I was in University living in the dorms I went to the first couple group movie nights. All they would bring to choose from were Hollywood Blockbusters and Pixar movies. I got stuck watching How to Train Your Dragon, but listening to everyone praise it afterwards was worse than the actual movie. After that I just said no to all the future movie nights.

I don't understand how a bunch of 20 year olds can enjoy a kids movie like that.
I'm nearly 40 and I enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon. I even liked the second one, too. I quite like a lot of the animated films out lately. I feel like they're more creative than the films written for adults.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I'm 33 and I love that movie. I'd say it's just about as popular with adults, especially young adults, as it is with children. A lot of the "kids" animation these days really resonate with an adult audience. As a fan of animation, I frequently go and see films like that at the theater and it's not at all uncommon to see other adults there sans children.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I just remembered a movie going experience i'd totally been repressing, apparently. Back in the mid 90's, a friend of mine was a film critic for his university's newspaper. He was given two passes to a critic's showing of an upcoming movie, and he invited me along. I hopped the train and met him in the city, ready for free entertainment. The film? Breaking the Waves by Lars Von Trier...
Oh holy crap was that a terrible movie. It was disturbing, depressing, and held no entertainment value whatsoever. I actually thought it was a bit sexist, too. I loathed that film, and refuse to see anything by that particular director to this day. We left the cinema in such foul moods, nothing could cheer us up...