Last great Foreign Film you saw

Tools    

Thanks to Eureka! The Sun Legend of the End of the Tokugawa Era is finally available on Blu-ray and DVD...with English subtitles! Great film. Early writing credit for Shohei Imamura.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050162/

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Jalsaghar: The Music Room (1958) by Satyajit Ray

A stylistic masterpiece about the decadence and downfall of the Indian aristocracy. The focal point is the impact of modernity on the Indian aristocracy flavored with classical Indian music and dancing. Highly recommended!

Cries and Whispers (1972) by Ingmar Bergman

My second favorite Bergman film, right after Persona. Sublime Cinematography by Sven Nykvist. A captivating story about the female psyche, repressed feelings and death with explicit scenes of horrific character.

Roger Ebert describes it very well in his greatest movies: "Bergman never made another film this painful. To see it is to touch the extremes of human feeling. It is so personal, so penetrating of privacy, we almost want to look away".

One of the most powerful movies i have seen and definitely in my top 20. Im sure i will revisit this movie in the near future.

A system of cells interlinked
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (Kim, 2003)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Karamazov Brothers

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I was always fond of my life as a dog..

imdb index number :tt0089606

Aurore. Heartbreaking however, and shakes you to the core of your soul.

The Lonely Wife (Charulata) by Satyajit Ray (1964)

A slow-paced, captivating story about a lonely wife of an editor in 1870's India. It deals with concealed emotions and forbidden feelings in an Indian upper-class family.

Without revealing to much it has a sublime ending that encompasses the whole film. So far its the best film i have seen by Satyajit Ray and its also his own favorite.

The last great one I saw was Germany, Year Zero by Roberto Rossellini.

I don't know if many would consider it "great," but I loved Tokyo Gore Police.
Also, I liked some of the foreign shorts in The ABCs of Death.

The last bad one I watched was The Sorcerer and the White Snake. If China had its own Syfy, it should have premiered on there.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) by Carl Th. Dreyer

In short the film depicts the trial and execution of Joan of Arc. Her as an illiterate naive woman set up against a manipulative group of judges and interrogators.

The Passion of Joan of Arc is a movie i often revisit and i would say that it's my favorite movie. It still makes my eyes wet even though i have seen it many times. Maria Falconetti's performance as Joan of Arc is extraordinary. The cinematography, especially with the many close-ups and the use of lighting, is in my opinion unlike anything else.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) by Carl Th. Dreyer

In short the film depicts the trial and execution of Joan of Arc. Her as an illiterate naive woman set up against a manipulative group of judges and interrogators.

The Passion of Joan of Arc is a movie i often revisit and i would say that it's my favorite movie. It still makes my eyes wet even though i have seen it many times. Maria Falconetti's performance as Joan of Arc is extraordinary. The cinematography, especially with the many close-ups and the use of lighting, is in my opinion unlike anything else.

Great film. I've cried whilst watching it, also, although I think it was Dreyer's intent to evoke an emotion quite opposite to a cry.

A laugh or smile? Or anger?
I'm still not completely sure.

I just wasn't able to identify with any character in the film; the way Dreyer shot the film certainly stops you from putting yourself in Joan's shoes.

The church officials don't take pleasure in destroying Joan. What about the scene where Joan recants her abjuration and condemns herself to death, and then her murderers weep.

There a long essay about Dreyer's intentions. I'll try to find it.

The Lonely Wife (Charulata) by Satyajit Ray (1964)

A slow-paced, captivating story about a lonely wife of an editor in 1870's India. It deals with concealed emotions and forbidden feelings in an Indian upper-class family.

Without revealing to much it has a sublime ending that encompasses the whole film. So far its the best film i have seen by Satyajit Ray and its also his own favorite.

Wow! This is amazing. Finally someone appreciates Satyajit Ray. A legend!

Ok, for me, its Tengoku to jigoku, since the title says great. Good one's would be many.

Beware of a Holy Whore

This Fassbinder film involves an almost complete film crew which is filled with snobs and queers. It wasn't a group I'd like to spend time with, but one that's fascinating to watch.