The Videogames Tab

Tools    

In the Beginning...
It's fun, not as addictive as COD, imo. The maps aren't quite as personal, nor is the paying back people who killed you. It's a bit more fast paced and would probably say it requires less skills. If you've ever been merc'd on COD by someone who knows maps inside out etc, there's not quite that skill spectrum.
I wouldn't say it requires less skill, but it absolutely requires more teamwork. I like BF because it's not just about pwning and all that. I've had that for long enough in other shooters. BF makes players work together by giving them an objective. Obviously, sometimes people just want to be snipers or whatever, but when you get a group of players who legitimately want to play the way the game should be played, it's magic. There's no other game that gives you the feeling of being an integral part of a large-scale battle, and when you're carrying out that part -- even if it's just repairing vehicles (which is ABSOLUTELY necessary, let me tell you) -- it feels great. And the squad respawn function is brilliant because it guarantees that you're always with your friends, with whom you play the best, rather than trying to find each other on the map.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
The aiming seems amiss though and assault rifles have a poor aim, through smoothness of aiming and actual weapon design/use. I'm guessing after levelling up a bit there'll be some attachments to improve it.
Yeah, there will be plenty of better weapons to unlock as you level up. The first guns always have an unruly walk to them.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Not quite sure what 'suppression bonus' thing is randomly get though?
Shooting at an enemy makes his screen go all weird and garbled to simulate the effect of suppressive fire. So if you're shooting at an enemy when he gets killed by someone else, you get the suppression bonus.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Woo, good to see some love for BF! It can be 'magic' like you say Sleezy

BF2 did seem to have that 'part of a bigger effort' vibe nailed, like you say (and the guy in that vid was saying the same). Medics, repairs, squads etc etc. Even if you go kinda lonewolf you can still be spotting to keep people aware or confusing the other side by being super mobile in a light vehicle etc

@Pyro: on xbox it seems that *(EDIT* 'back' is how you spot incidentally. Just found some online info finally. I can't see anything comparable to the other auto-chatter from BF2 PC tho - like medic/ammo/support requests, which are pretty useful. Especially the latter if you're about to turn a flag over on your own, or are defending one and see all kindsa metal hell heading your way

Anyways, doubt I'll be online at all the same times, but if anyone wants to hook up on Xbox when the game's out, lemme know

I never really played it with people I know, only two other people I know played it and ones too busy off doing the real thing. Used the other one for that pesky Demolition Kills trophy.

Might get back on it and try and level up some. Incidentally, do this cross over to the full game?

Is the demolition kill from BF Bad Company? Never played any of those versions, but yeah, I played happy enough with randoms on the ole 2005 BF2. You could normally track people down of the same kinda competence level. Just imagine it'd work out quite well with voice chat (and don't fancy chatting to the normal xbox mong heads )

Beta level ups don't translate over to the game apparently. They're just there so everyone can get familiar I think. (It is the one prob of multiplayer level up stuff that you know some fanatic is gonna play days solid straight from release and be kitted to the max before you can blink. And that's with the US getting it half a week before us too. But sod it, between aimbots and that on the PC, and the insanely accurate pilots in BF2, I'm kinda used to getting owned between small victories anyways )

The Demo-Kill was BF2 where you had to collapse buildings on people for a kill, I never played the first one either.

In the Beginning...
Btw, I've heard that the BF3 beta's graphics are so low quality because DICE wanted the download size to be tolerable. The full game's graphics are supposed to be significantly higher quality.

As it turns out, though, I'm probably not buying it. I don't play games nearly as much as I used to (trying to be productive!), and Skyrim is closing in on a month away. Won't need any other games when that drops.

Cool, that'd be good if it's got more to give in the final release.

Shame the biggest maps are 24 players on xbox, but my machine gurgled and died on 64 player maps anyway

And on productivity, you are so right. And yet, the occasional insane immersion beckons once again for me, i think. (Haven't really been sucked into a game big time since RDR. And I do most of my Minecrafting at work. Which also counts as 'art' )

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Ive recently gone back to playing Hale Reach, im trying to level up but damn the credits you need to level up are getting ridiculous tbh

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Free Portal 2 DLC today. Thanks Valve, getting back into that one.

Suspect's Reviews

GameFly shipped "Rage" yesterday - I can't wait
I almost ordered Rage today but saw metacritic didn't give it quite as higher rating as some other titles. So went to order Dark Souls but there's just too many games I want to play as well, that for £40 it becomes such a decision so keep giving up.

Super Mario 3

Whoops, 2 days off work and I've clocked up at least 8 hours on the BF3 beta. I'm still fricking terrible (finally completed one round with more kills than deaths), but opening up the new kit and doing loads of team **** is fun. Still itching for a vehicle map tho.

I seem to rotate through all the different soldier types at the mo: Start as scout to lay the mobile spawn somewhere useful, then heavy support for outdoors and medic for close quarters. A bit of engineer rocketeering in the final stages to get rid of opposing cover. Works out pretty neat. Now if only I could manage more than 9 kills a game or something

(Like BF2 some of the team actions don't seem to get you any points. I used to go out of my way to blow up the enemy artillery, which helped the 'war effort' loads but gave no points. This time round the mobile spawn doesn't seem to reward you [IE you'd think for every successful team spawn on it you could get the standard 'spawn on me' 10pts or summat?]. I know we've blitzed some locations coz of it so that's a tad annoying. Not so annoying I'm gonna stop doing it tho )

I've only glimpsed at the third stage, found Scout to be most usable class so far. The Central Park sections is almost impossible to get a beat on enemies, and the aiming is atrocious on anything else to hope to get a kill from much less than point blank. The other three seem pretty interchangeable assaults rifles and SMGs, not really serve better than others so far. I was a surgeon with the shotgun on BF2 but it's redundant here, so far. The Class skills don't seem to be of much use, no-one really lives long enough to need healing or ammo, unless it's a long distance firefight death pretty much follows the first hit.

I've only glimpsed at the third stage, found Scout to be most usable class so far. The Central Park sections is almost impossible to get a beat on enemies, and the aiming is atrocious on anything else to hope to get a kill from much less than point blank. The other three seem pretty interchangeable assaults rifles and SMGs, not really serve better than others so far. I was a surgeon with the shotgun on BF2 but it's redundant here, so far. The Class skills don't seem to be of much use, no-one really lives long enough to need healing or ammo, unless it's a long distance firefight death pretty much follows the first hit.
Yeah the park seems to be more about bush sneakery than anything. Some guys out there seem able to knock off long range kills from a crouch tho with the general machine guns and I've no idea how they're doing it. Like
. Altho to be fair he's using some light unlocked scout gun that seems to have no vertical lift. Also he seems to have eyes like a hawk.

I've found the medic pretty useful whereever you've got a group holding a point - especially the [A] Mcom in the second stage (the bathroom like place with two entrances), and the corridor to [b] in the third stage. You can even leave the supplies there and wonder off somewhere safer . I've unlocked the defib too but it's kinda tricky to make sure the room's clear and then get to them in time. Sometimes it's worth just hurling a medipack down when you're progressing through corridors too. Someone normally needs healing.

The trains and central corridors of the 2nd section seem to get a lot of shotgun action - more close quarters I guess.

Just unlocked C4 for support which is fun too. Wanna try out a trick I just read about - blast a hole in the dirt and you've got an impromptue foxhole and ammo stash point. (Wondered where all those holes were coming from )

That guy's a knob.

The train bits are good, as in you can take out couple enemies at once if they're stuck trying to traverse the glitchy environment. The bush sneaking tends to be more the undefined graphics that conceal you and can just about attempt a splurt of uncontrollable shots and groups.

The medic was always my favourite kit, how long before you get the Defib?

He is isn't he

I was kinda hoping for more grenades when I got the 'extra explosives' add on (the one you can sub in for sprint etc). They're pretty useful for sending people scattering into view

Yeah, I try and only get into the trains at a flat run and jump, as otherwise they're very claggy.

I'm not sure what level I'm on with any of the classes. Is it not showing up yet in your next item bit of the kits menu (in the stats summary between rounds)?

I was getting too frustrated with it. The Class weapons seem to change each time load the game so just been sticking with Scout, only Level 2 though.

I think the class weapons change depending on whether you're attack or defence US/Russian etc. IE i think generic weapon unlocks apply to both (like the totally useless anti-heli rocket I've unlocked for engineer ), but the add-ons depend on how well you've done with each weapon. So you need to get 20+ kills or whatever with both the Russian & US variant of a gun to get the holo-lense for both etc or what have you. I think...

I've got a feeling the defib came at level 3 for assault...