2010 Best Supporting Actor Oscar

Tools    

Pick from this list of Supporting Actor Oscar hopefuls...
0%
0 votes
Matt Damon, INVICTUS
0%
0 votes
Woody Harrelson, THE MESSENGER
0%
0 votes
Christopher Plummer, THE LAST STATION
0%
0 votes
Stanley Tucci, THE LOVELY BONES
100.00%
13 votes
Christoph Waltz, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
13 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the five fellas nominated for Oscars this year in the Supporting category. Who takes the award home in March?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Christoph Waltz has it in the bag. Only solid lock?

Suspect's Reviews

Waltz will definitely win, and he deserves it, even if I haven't seen any of the other films.

Everyone seems to be of the opinion that Waltz will win, and he probably will, but I can't help thinking that Christopher Plummer might have half a chance of taking it.

Went with Waltz, because he will win, but Woody was pretty damn good too.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

"That's a Bingo!"

I can't seem to stop saying that lately. Yes, Waltz will win and good for him. I still think Pitt would have been a nice addition to this list instead of Tucci, but perhaps my disdain for The Lovely Bones has clouded what was actually a good performance from him.

I haven't caught The Last Station as of yet but I hope to before Oscar night. I agree with Harry about Woody Harrelson. He did a marvelous job in The Messenger, but perhaps he'll need to notch a few more performances like this one in order to garner some serious consideration for one of the big awards.

As for some of the others that got left out, I thought Alfred Molina did a wonderful job in An Education. And as far as Tucci goes, his work in Julie & Julia was a lot more fun to watch as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps my "in the bag-ness" for Jason Bateman makes me overrate his performance during Up in the Air, but I don't care. I really like the guy and I love his comedic timing.

Yeah, it's funny, but when Watchmen came out I think a bunch of people (and a bunch of us) floated the idea that Jackie Earle Haley might have a shot at a Supporting Actor nod, but it hasn't been discussed much since. Would've been a fun nomination, for sure. I would've loved to have seen which clip they used from the film to illustrate his performance, too.

This one is just about as much of a lock as Mo'Nique in the Supporting Actress category. From the magnificent opening scene of Tarantino's pulpy revisionist blast Inglourious Basterds this award belonged to Mr. Waltz and his indelible, instantly iconic Colonel Hans Landa, the diminutive and deceptively gregarious but efficiently brutal "Jew Hunter". He's won most every major and minor award leading up to the Oscars, starting way back at the Cannes Film Festival. If he doesn't win the Oscar it will be a huge upset. Too bad for the rest of the field.

Woody Harrelson was terrific as the senior member of a two-man military team assigned to alert families of fallen soldiers in The Messenger. Woody had a great year also scoring in the mega-fun Zombieland and popping up in the dumb world-ending spectacular of 2012. But it is his work in The Messenger, reminding everybody of his previous Oscar nomination over a decade ago for The People vs. Larry Flynt. Doesn't have any real chance of winning, but it should remind the industry of how much generally untapped potential he still has.

Stanley Tucci got the showcase role of the serial killer next door in The Lovely Bones, but he might just as easily have been nominated for his work with Meryl Streep as Mr. Julia Child in Julie & Julia. This is Tucci's first nomination, though he's been an excellent character actor and even director for years now. It's a bittersweet year for Stanley, with two great roles on screen but having lost his wife and mother of his three children to breast cancer back in April. That kind of natural sympathy coupled with his pair of good performances and body of respected work might have been enough to push him over the top in other years, but Christoph Waltz is an unstoppable juggernaut. And that Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones was largely a critical and box office disappointment doesn't help either.

Matt Damon of course already has an Oscar, but it's shared with pal Ben Affleck for writing Good Will Hunting. He was also nominated as Best Actor for that film, though he lost to Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets. This is his first nomination of any kind since 1998. He's had his career ups and downs and even become an object of ridicule at times, but he's built a solid resume and with the popular successes of the Ocean's 13 series and the Bourne franchise plus co-starring in ensembles like Syriana and The Departed, he's no lightweight. I thought he was much better as the pudgy loser in Soderbergh's The Informant! this year, but he was pretty good as the fit rugby captain Francois Pienaar who decides to ally himself and his team with the new President Mandela in Eastwood's Invictus. I think unfortunately for him perhaps his weakest moment of acting in the film comes during the finale of the big game when he gives his Gipper/Rudy/lets's-win-this-one-boys motivational speech on the field. He won't win this year, but if he keeps making smart choices in scripts and filmmakers he'll be back.

At the age of eighty, longtime veteran actor Christopher Plummer must truly be "honored just to be nominated". After over a hundred and fifty credits on film, television and stage he has finally made it to the Hollywood promised land. But the chances of his portrayal of Leo Tolstoy's latter days in The Last Station has just about zero chance of actually winning the Academy Award. But after a career that includes The Sound of Music, The Man Who Would Be King, Murder by Decree, Malcolm X, 12 Monkeys, The Insider, A Beautiful Mind and the voice of the famous explorer Chalres Muntz in PIXAR's Up, the Supporting Actor nomination is a nice capper to his long career.

As for some great also-rans, Zach Galifianakis stole every instant he was on screen in The Hangover as the bizarre brother-in-law and just about guaranteed he'll be showing up in every third comedy for the next five years, again Stanley Tucci was terrific as the supportive then blacklisted husband of a burgeoning icon in Julie & Julia, Alfred Molina was very good as the meek father who wants the best for his daughter but has no idea what's best for her in An Education, Anthony Mackie didn't get to be as cool and stoic as Renner in The Hurt Locker but was still quite good, Alan Arkin was skillful as the retiring publisher with a much younger wife in The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, Tom Waits had a blast playing the ever-wagering Devil in Gilliam's The Imagniarium of Doctor Parnassus, James Gandolfini, Tom Hollander and David Rasche were all great but it was Peter Capaldi who stole In the Loop as a foul-mouthed official trying spin the public opinion on a war.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My ballot actually has Anthony Mackie on it. From what I've seen, he got ripped off. How else could Renner "BE ALL THAT HE COULD BE"? It amost makes it seem a recruiting ad is also an Oscar ad, but no, it's honest, no matter what it accomplishes.

Perhaps the least-surprising win of the night, Christoph Waltz collected his Oscar. He's going to have to reinforce whatever shelf he displays awards on, because he won about seventy of them for Inglourious Basterds.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Maybe not the right thread to say this, but am I the only one who thinks that Bullock, Bridges, Monique, and Waltz have earned their last acting oscars?

Mo'Nique, probably. Waltz, dunno. Bullock and Bridges could go either way. But really, so few people win more than one that that's usually a fairly safe statement, I would think.

Mo'Nique, probably. Waltz, dunno. Bullock and Bridges could go either way. But really, so few people win more than one that that's usually a fairly safe statement, I would think.

Yes I do know that. I'm just saying that I definitely can't see any of them really winning another one. (Bridges is the slightest maybe of the bunch)

Yes I do know that. I'm just saying that I definitely can't see any of them really winning another one. (Bridges is the slightest maybe of the bunch)
Slightest what? Slightest chance of winning again? I'd say exactly the opposite, that he has the best chance of those four of winning another Oscar. For the others it was their first and only nominations, so who knows if they will ever crack through again with a nom much less a win. While Bridges has been nominated five times. He's worked more than once with The Coens and Terry Gilliam, who have guided actors to Oscars and Oscar noms, he appears in dramas (including things like Seabiscuit, which was a Best Picture nominee) and comedies and even big budget mainstream successes such as Iron Man. He's versatile, he's well-liked in the biz, and he seems to have a pretty good nose for scripts, overall. I think at his age it's probably more likely he'll break through again in the Supporting Actor category (where three of his five noms to date have come), but of the four acting winners this year he has the best chance of coming back to the dance.

Of the past five or six ceremonies alone, among all the acting nominees I'd say that Sean Penn and Daniel Day-Lewis, already two-time winners, are almost certain to have other nominations in their careers and I wouldn't bet against either winning another statue or two. Hilary Swank, also a two-time winner, will likely be back (she's only thirty-five). Both Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet you have to believe will return multiple times during their careers, at least as nominees. Morgan Freeman, though much older than all those other names, is also in a zone where he'll keep cropping up as a nominee until he shuffles off this mortal coil. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Clooney seem like sure bets to return as nominees many more times. Helen Mirren and Javier Bardem, while they might not necessarily win again, would be very safe bets for more nominations, and once you're nominated depending on how strong or weak the year is anything can happen. I'd definitely put Jeff Bridges in this company of likely to return to the Oscar party, and give him better odds than say Forest Whitaker, Charlize Theron or Tilda Swinton. And all of those names have better shots than the likes of Marion Cotillard, Jennifer Hudson, Christoph Waltz or Mo'Nique.

The only one you can say won't be back with 100% certainty is Heath Ledger.

That's what I meant Holden, I think Bridges would have the best chance out of the four. He's a great actor, but I don't know if he'll ever be cast in a role like he played in Crazy Heart to give him the opportunity to win again. Though I would like to see him get another Oscar opportunity.

That's what I meant Holden, I think Bridges would have the best chance out of the four. He's a great actor, but I don't know if he'll ever be cast in a role like he played in Crazy Heart to give him the opportunity to win again. Though I would like to see him get another Oscar opportunity.
His next project is the lead as Marshal Cogburn in Ethan and Joel Coen's remake of True Grit, the role that earned John Wayne his only Oscar. The Brothers Coen have already had four of their performances earn Oscar nominations: Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men, Frances McDormand for Fargo, William H. Macy for Fargo and Michael Lerner for Barton Fink, with McDormand and Bardem winning. Who knows how this True Grit will turn out (other co-stars include Matt Damon, Barry Pepper and Josh Brolin in the cast so far with necomer Hailee Steinfeld set to star as Mattie)? But at this point even though it hasn't started shooting yet, it is slated for a Christmas 2010 release, so assuming it makes it if you were handicapping at this early stage you could easily argue that Jeff Bridges is among the performances you can start watching for next year's Oscars.